New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · Vpn advice

mariopepper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vpn advice

Hello there. I used to work as a photographer before pandemic but now I don't have a constant job so I work remotely as a photo designer. It's more comfortable to work through vpn (communication with clients and photo sending) for me so if someone has experience in it I would like to get some advice on vpn choose. Thanks

Apr 30, 2020 at 06:16 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vpn advice

I use Proton VPN. I get to choose to run it through TOR if I want, but doing that can slow down data transmission. I have the $115 version that includes ProtonMail, an end to end, bidirectional email app, however that requires a) either the recipient have ProtonMail as well, or, you arrange to send recipient a password with which the encrypted email you sent can be decoded. I use it for all TeleHealth communications with clients I'm seeing. YMMV

Apr 30, 2020 at 08:11 AM
chandarcsa

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vpn advice

ExpressVPN has had some good reviews and I am giving it a go by using the trial version. Most definitely there is an impact to the data transmission speeds and I wonder if using the VPN has MX anything to do with my other account getting locked out, which has been super frustrating. Give ExpressVPN a try and see how it goes. I do like that they have extremely good support. Getting it up and running was a breeze for me with the support folks walking me through the process.
Cheers!

Apr 30, 2020 at 09:24 AM
mariopepper

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vpn advice

anthonysemone wrote:
I use Proton VPN. I get to choose to run it through TOR if I want, but doing that can slow down data transmission. I have the $115 version that includes ProtonMail, an end to end, bidirectional email app, however that requires a) either the recipient have ProtonMail as well, or, you arrange to send recipient a password with which the encrypted email you sent can be decoded. I use it for all TeleHealth communications with clients I'm seeing. YMMV

I've never heard about this one. But unfortunately 115$ is too much for me. I'd like to consider option less then 80$ at least. I've just checked reviews about proton and some other vpn's and they're good. Most of all I like https://veepn.com/ because of its quality/price.

Edited on May 08, 2020 at 03:57 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2020 at 10:25 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vpn advice

I no longer support PIA VPN!!
Dan

Edited on Jan 05, 2021 at 09:29 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:01 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vpn advice

Affirmative on the customer service as to ProtonVPN Proton Mail. OTOH, the interface I have found to be very straight forward and I really like the encrypted mail component. I simply send via another email app, after contacting the recipient via iMessage that the "entry info is on route", go to another email client and send the password for decoding the encryption, and BAM, recipient has it. If recipient has ProtonMail installed, the message is automatically decrypted. TeleHealth rules require major encryption.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:48 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vpn advice

I use nordvpn and if you search online, they often have rebate / cashback that will make the cost quite reasonable. I have 3 years for less than $100 total

May 01, 2020 at 06:54 AM
pshahi

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vpn advice

You can try Windscribe as well.

May 10, 2020 at 08:00 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vpn advice

Wouldn't your clients need the same or VPN service or one on their end? I'm running an iMac and I found VPN messed up my email accounts even when I tried split tunnelling.

May 10, 2020 at 08:15 PM
Conmat

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vpn advice

Not a recommendation, just my experience:
I have been using NordVPN for two years, on my notebook and Android phone. It seems O.K.
Customer service has been pretty good. I use GNU/Linux exclusively and the support has been good.
NordVPN supports many protocols, including peer-to-peer (bittorrent).
The only downside is VERY slow/unstable service on my phone in the last couple of months of the Furry Flying Wuhan Bat Flu.
Third party reviews have been generally good.

Jul 10, 2020 at 09:10 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vpn advice

Using Nord for a year or so. No problems. Amazon used to balk but now works properly. Some food delivery sites balk. Easy enough to pause fir a few minutes.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Vpn advice

I am glad to see most VPN services are reliable and well thought of. All appear to have some "hiccups" but not enough to quit or give them a bad remark.

Good thread!
Dan

Jul 28, 2020 at 09:10 AM
LClark007

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Vpn advice

I'm using NordVPN for 3 years. I tested before the SurfShark and Zenmate but the interface of NordVPN is more comfortable for me. Firstly, about the VPNs I found out from one blog https://vladtalks.tech/vpn/how-to-hide-your-ip-address-vpn-proxy-tor I didn't know about existence of such services in the world. After I've read all the privileges of this service I decided firmly that I really need it because it protects everything that I need and I know that my traffic is hidden from somebody and I enjoyed this idea.

Aug 24, 2020 at 07:18 AM
JeremyTwitty

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Vpn advice

For all cases, it is difficult to say, it all depends on how much you are willing to pay for it and on your region. The closer a particular server of free vpn fast is, the higher the connection speed and the lower the latency.

Sep 08, 2020 at 05:22 PM
surreywharf
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Vpn advice

I have uses EzpressVPN for the last year. It is fast and reliable, I have no complaints.

Jim

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:30 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Vpn advice

Danpbphoto wrote:
I have used PIA for about 5 +years. It has been very good. There are a few problems with updating my W7 pc..W10 is fine. Also some of their IPA's are blocked by a national spam blocker company so I have to go to another city or another IPA within the city I am using. Not a real biggie but when you tell them that all they say is "try some other". No phone contact just email. Customer Service and Support is Fair at best!
PIA is rated pretty high by reviewers:

Private Internet Access Overview
One Of The Fastest & Most Secure

My Norton 360 has its own VPN but I don't use it. No reason why since I use PIA and had them way before Norton/LifeLock offered theirs.
Dan
...Show more

PIA is no longer a good vpn option! Look elsewhere!!!
Dan

Nov 21, 2020 at 09:49 AM
chiou

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Vpn advice

I've had a decent experience with StackSocial's "lifetime VPN" offers. Buying "lifetime" subscriptions (especially through a third party) is often a bad idea, but StackSocial is an exception: they're a well-established enough third party that they tend to (a) partner with reasonably reliable/fast VPN providers, and (b) will back you up in case the provider you've purchased a subscription for goes bust, etc.

I paid $50 over six years ago and have had access to paid PureVPN or VPN Unlimited accounts for the entire time. The speeds aren't as fast as with, say, ExpressVPN, but if you're not a heavy user then StackSocial offers are reasonable.

Jan 05, 2021 at 10:55 PM
squirrelchew

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Vpn advice

For speedy, free "VPN" usage I tend to use Tor and configure and entry and exit node within my country. Usually that keeps speeds nice and high and offers at least some benefit of onion routing.

Jan 09, 2021 at 01:17 PM
cdubea

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Vpn advice

Danpbphoto wrote:
I no longer support PIA VPN!!
Dan

I'm a bit suspect of PIA at this juncture as well.

https://www.hackread.com/private-internet-access-pia-vpn-sold-israel-privacy-concerns/

It's not helping that their prices doubled after the acquisition and when my annual subscription expires I'll probably drift to someone else.

I'm not traveling anywhere near as much any longer, so I need to evaluate whether I really need a VPN.

good luck

chris

Jan 15, 2021 at 08:44 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Vpn advice

cdubea wrote:
I'm a bit suspect of PIA at this juncture as well.

https://www.hackread.com/private-internet-access-pia-vpn-sold-israel-privacy-concerns/

It's not helping that their prices doubled after the acquisition and when my annual subscription expires I'll probably drift to someone else.

I'm not traveling anywhere near as much any longer, so I need to evaluate whether I really need a VPN.

good luck

chris

Thanks for the info Chris!!!
I did not know that!

They have become increasingly absent when I need help. They no longer support Windows7, even with their so called "Win7 version". It doesn't work!!!!

I have Norton but don't use their VPN.
Thanks for the info!
Dan

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.