New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2020 · Birding in New England ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Birding in New England ?

With the virus making its rounds, most of the places I usually go are closed. Does anyone know of any good spots north of Boston that are still open ?

Apr 23, 2020 at 08:55 AM
angeloboot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Birding in New England ?

Parker River NWR remains open to foot traffic if you have somewhere to park in Newburyport, and Rachel Carson NWR trails are open as well. Same with Assabet NWR to west...I think the pier in Gloucester is open as well, but that might be a gamble. Where do you usually go? There's some paths that snake through various public lands, plus all the various town parcels that have desire paths cut through them.

Apr 24, 2020 at 11:30 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Birding in New England ?

I usually go either to the Ipswich River Audubon Sanctuary or Parker River, but not having a a parking permit there at Plum Island pretty much eliminates that. I also go to the Coolidge Estate, which is a great spot for seabirds, but its also closed for now.

Apr 24, 2020 at 07:18 PM
angeloboot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Birding in New England ?

I'd start exploring town lands/county greenbelts and google maps. I'm around the 93/95 interchange, so I either go west out towards Assabet or northeast up 95. There's lots of smaller parcels that exist as either town-owned or part of a conservation group's easement, etc, but it takes me a lot of online homework in advance to be sure I'm not trespassing. One thing that works for me is to look for railbeds on google maps, and then figure out which ones are no longer/rarely in service. Often the railbeds go through marshes/forest etc, and then it's just a matter of viewing town platt/assessor's maps to see where you can walk.

Unlike where I'm originally from (Midwest), MA seems to have a large variety of various conservation groups with property and easements; that large variety can sometimes make it hard to figure out what land can be walked on by whom.

Apr 25, 2020 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.