Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2020 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

jigesh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

I keep getting e-mails from Sony regarding their Sony Protect Plus plan, which apparently extends warranty by up to 3 more years, and adds accidental damage from handling (terms/fine-prints here).

Many of you are sports/wildlife/nature photographers, and I was wondering if any of you had experience in getting service from Sony under this "plan" and if it's worthwhile in your opinion.

Thank you!

Apr 18, 2020 at 05:58 PM
Mexecutioner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

I keep getting them too so I’d love to hear some feedback as well.

Apr 18, 2020 at 06:43 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

That's one thing I've loved about Nikon lenses. You get a 5 year warranty when you register and can send in glass for cleaning or calibration any time. How much does the extended plan cost with Sony?

Apr 18, 2020 at 07:20 PM
Mexecutioner
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

Sony Protect: Extending warranty to 3 years is $3.33 a month.

Sony Protect Plus: including accidental damage protection is $6.11 a month.

I imagine this depends on camera model, but I have no way of knowing

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:02 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

Mexecutioner wrote:
..I imagine this depends on camera model, but I have no way of knowing

Yes, depends on lens and camera model. For A9II, it's $350 (after 10% off promotion), which is approx $10 per month. Also includes free sensor and general cleaning once a year. I suspect most pros probably use their PRO support program. This one appears to be targeted to non-Pro consumers.

Apr 19, 2020 at 07:51 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

Yes, it appears to be targeted to non-Pro consumers. It might be an acceptable path for someone with say one body and a lens or two but the math gets sideways pretty quick based upon their pricing and the number of pieces to cover. If shooting with many bodies and lenses it's best (and less expensive) to have a separate camera gear insurance policy along with being a member of the pro support program. Both are a must if you shoot professionally.

Apr 19, 2020 at 08:41 AM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

jigesh wrote:
Yes, depends on lens and camera model. For A9II, it's $350 (after 10% off promotion), which is approx $10 per month. Also includes free sensor and general cleaning once a year. I suspect most pros probably use their PRO support program. This one appears to be targeted to non-Pro consumers.

The fine print says that the Protect Plus includes one cleaning. I don't think that is per year, but once in the three years.

Apr 19, 2020 at 09:16 AM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

CPWarner wrote:
The fine print says that the Protect Plus includes one cleaning. I don't think that is per year, but once in the three years.

Yes, I think you read it right. Once per year would have been more appealing, but I misread.

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:15 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

I have been getting the emails also, but it seems really expensive to me. My whole kit (about 15K) costs about $10.00 a month for World Wide, all risk, including damage, theft, loss. This is a scheduled property addendum to my Homeowners policy.

It doesn't cover warranty item, but buy with the right CC and your manufacturer's warranty is doubled. Also my Tamron lenses come with a lifetime warranty.

When I am shooting, especially when traveling, I don't want to worry about my gear. I want to shoot near water, in whatever weather, and in whatever neighborhood of a city or local that interests me. Having the right coverage makes this possible.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM
FourT2

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

1bwana1 wrote:
I have been getting the emails also, but it seems really expensive to me. My whole kit (about 15K) costs about $10.00 a month for World Wide, all risk, including damage, theft, loss. This is a scheduled property addendum to my Homeowners policy.

It doesn't cover warranty item, but buy with the right CC and your manufacturer's warranty is doubled. Also my Tamron lenses come with a lifetime warranty.

When I am shooting, especially when traveling, I don't want to worry about my gear. I want to shoot near water, in whatever weather, and in whatever neighborhood of a city or
...Show more

Who is your homeowner insurance carrier? What kind of coverage do you ask for when you call? What kind of deductibles do you have with your plan?

Apr 19, 2020 at 04:47 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

My Insurer is USAA. Simply the best.

Zero deductible, fix, or replace with new.

It is a scheduled items rider on the homeowner's policy. Just like for home electronics, jewelry, and art, and other valuable items.

Available also for renters.

Your agent should be able to help you with all of this.

Apr 19, 2020 at 04:57 PM
FourT2

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

1bwana1 wrote:
My Insurer is USAA. Simply the best.

Zero deductible, fix, or replace with new.

It is a scheduled items rider on the homeowner's policy. Just like for home electronics, jewelry, and art, and other valuable items.

Available also for renters.

Your agent should be able to help you with all of this.

Yeah I don't qualify for USAA lol, so I will have to check with my homeowner insurance carrier (MetLife) if they even offer something like that.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:09 AM
Bob_S
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony "Protect Plus" or "Protect" Experience?

In our business with a constant $30-50K of gear, we've had about $500 p/year on average of damage.

So whilst we considered insurance of this sort, we didn't bother.

If you look after your gear this isn't useful imo.

Apr 21, 2020 at 04:24 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.