Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2020 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

mdvaden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

JohnSil wrote:
The vlogging world probably runs on Canon 3ti and 7ti. The R5 can’t be much bigger than those if at all.

John

lol .. glad you replied to Roaming Scott ... I wrote a reply, then deleted it, to spare wasting my time, to let the "shame" he stated, reside at his end. Otherwise I see no shames in the new body so far.

But, I noticed on Youtube yesterday, feedback from someone who saw the R5 up close under glass and noted it was about the size of the EOS R

So for the more part, what you wrote is very realistic.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:46 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

"So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?"

It may have been slated to come out on the 20th, but with C19, Canon's way of thinking maybe to wait till July for things to somewhat normalize as far as the economy, but that's a big guess as well.

Either way the enthusiast and pro shooter may be the only one purchasing initially, as many of the general population will be struggling, and camera's wont be on there priority list.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:03 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

mdvaden wrote:
lol .. glad you replied to Roaming Scott ... I wrote a reply, then deleted it, to spare wasting my time, to let the "shame" he stated, reside at his end. Otherwise I see no shames in the new body so far.

But, I noticed on Youtube yesterday, feedback from someone who saw the R5 up close under glass and noted it was about the size of the EOS R

So for the more part, what you wrote is very realistic.

You are such a weird critter. No shame here

Canon themselves has said it's more 5D sized/ergo'd.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

It was never scheduled or even rumored to be released this early.

I recall reading somewhere, probably CR, they will be doing a full unveiling at the end of May or early June with the release date in July.

Canon's official Press release back in Feb doesn't even give a firm date.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/20200212-eos/20200212-eos

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:24 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

Things are getting close. Canon is already showing off the R5. The camera will come out sooner than later.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

RoamingScott wrote:
You are such a weird critter. No shame here

Canon themselves has said it's more 5D sized/ergo'd.

It is certainly more 5D ergo but size wise it is essentially the same as an EOS R, slightly thicker and a few minor size differences but basically the same for all intents and purposes.

Someone with better PS skills than I could overlay those lens mounts and the top LCD and get a true size difference.

R5

R

Edited on Apr 22, 2020 at 11:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:01 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

lighthound wrote:
It was never scheduled or even rumored to be released this early.

I recall reading somewhere, probably CR, they will be doing a full unveiling at the end of May or early June with the release date in July.

Canon's official Press release back in Feb doesn't even give a firm date.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/20200212-eos/20200212-eos

A new post on CR this morning is saying that both R5 and R6 will be announced in May.
R6 rumoured for release in June, R5 in July.

As you point out, this has pretty much been the consistent rumour from even before the R5 had its first official development announcement. It has always seemed odd that they would be releasing a yet to be announced R6 before they release the R5 which they have now done three different pre-announcements for. But maybe that is still the way it will all play out

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:05 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

arbitrage wrote:
A new post on CR this morning is saying that both R5 and R6 will be announced in May.
R6 rumoured for release in June, R5 in July.

As you point out, this has pretty much been the consistent rumour from even before the R5 had its first official development announcement. It has always seemed odd that they would be releasing a yet to be announced R6 before they release the R5 which they have now done three different pre-announcements for. But maybe that is still the way it will all play out

+1 at the oddness.
See my last post here.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1639998/0#lastmessage

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:14 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

MELVILLE, NY, April 20, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today is sharing additional specifications of the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera currently in development.

As of 04/20/2020: "Currently in development"

Apr 23, 2020 at 09:35 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

Sy Sez wrote:
MELVILLE, NY, April 20, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today is sharing additional specifications of the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera currently in development.

As of 04/20/2020: "Currently in development"

They don't pour the magical pixie-dust in until the day before they ship. So yeah, it's still in development.

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:39 AM
ShootPDX
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

RoamingScott wrote:
It's a shame for pure still shooters that they are packing in so many video features which are only going to inflate the price.

For hybrid shooters, this cam and RF lenses look fairly enormous to gimbal, so I'm not quite sure what the appeal is in packing these video specs into a camera like this.

And inflate the price, for what? How many people shoot 8k? How many actually watch 8k? I agree, but I hope the video features don't put this camera out of a stills shooter's reach. I've been a Sony shooter for years, but I'm not married to them.

Apr 23, 2020 at 01:08 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

ShootPDX wrote:
And inflate the price, for what? How many people shoot 8k? How many actually watch 8k? I agree, but I hope the video features don't put this camera out of a stills shooter's reach. I've been a Sony shooter for years, but I'm not married to them.

Inflate the price? Pure speculation.

If the R5 gets released at the cost of what a 5D mk iv used to cost, video features would be like almost free bonus features. Even the EOS R is on par with the 5D mk iv, and the R5 with 2 cards and extra resolution etc., is worth every dime if it's in the 5D mk iv price range.

How many people shoot 20 fps? Same type of thing. Just bonus features if the price stays close.

Time will tell.

Apr 23, 2020 at 05:13 PM
ShootPDX
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

mdvaden wrote:
Inflate the price? Pure speculation.

If the R5 gets released at the cost of what a 5D mk iv used to cost, video features would be like almost free bonus features. Even the EOS R is on par with the 5D mk iv, and the R5 with 2 cards and extra resolution etc., is worth every dime if it's in the 5D mk iv price range.

How many people shoot 20 fps? Same type of thing. Just bonus features if the price stays close.

Time will tell.

Yes, much of this thread is speculation. I'd say more people shoot 20FPS with a camera touted as sport/wildlife than they would 8k. And pretty sure Canon's throwing around sport/wildlife for this camera.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:23 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

ShootPDX wrote:
Yes, much of this thread is speculation. I'd say more people shoot 20FPS with a camera touted as sport/wildlife than they would 8k. And pretty sure Canon's throwing around sport/wildlife for this camera.

That sounds like a bullseye for an estimation.

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:26 PM
ShootPDX
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

mdvaden wrote:
That sounds like a bullseye for an estimation.

It's an educated guess, and I think I'm right.

Apr 24, 2020 at 05:57 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · So is the R5 really coming on 4/20/2020?

arbitrage wrote:
It is certainly more 5D ergo but size wise it is essentially the same as an EOS R, slightly thicker and a few minor size differences but basically the same for all intents and purposes.

Someone with better PS skills than I could overlay those lens mounts and the top LCD and get a true size difference.

Interesting that the last picture shows the sensor not centered in the mount...could be that the mount is larger than need be?

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:49 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.