New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              14       15       end

Archive 2020 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Jonathan0007

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing well during these difficult times. I have been thinking about making a switch in my photography equipment and am currently looking at two bodies: the Sony A7Riv and Nikon Z7. I plan to sell my current equipment and also use some of the money I have saved up for one of the following combos (eventually):

A7Riv
Sigma 24-70
135mm 1.8 GM

Z7
24-70 2.8 S
70-200 2.8 S

I would really appreciate your input on this matter. Here are the things that matter most to me:
-Image quality and RAW file latitude
-JPEG color rendition (after a 500-pic photoshoot, I prefer to edit my favorite 20%, but still have good-looking files for the photos I don't end up editing)
-Autofocus (I don't really need super fast tracking, but would really like high accuracy so I don't have to constantly worry about whether the eyes are in focus, especially with such high-res sensors)

I shoot mostly portraits but also some landscape as well. I am not too concerned about ease of use because I believe with enough use, any system can be easy to operate. I also don't really care about video, only stills.

I will be posting this in both the Nikon and Sony forums to get as much feedback as possible. Thank you all in advance!

Apr 09, 2020 at 11:24 AM
KarmaKramer
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Z7 vs A7Riv

I prefer the versatility of 70-200 2.8 over 135mm...fwiw
You’d be fine either way methinks.

Apr 09, 2020 at 12:51 PM
bwcolor
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Remember that you are not just looking at these two cameras. Which option gives you the better system? Which one is more likely to lead vs follow new technologies? Which system provides better support?

Apr 09, 2020 at 01:18 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Z7 vs A7Riv

So, you are going to get superb images out of any of the lens choices you have listed. The Sony system already has far more excellent lenses available than the Z system will have for years to come. Why limit your native lens choices to Nikon's roadmap? Third party lenses likely won't be available for the Z camera mount for quite some time.

Both cameras have excellent Sony sensors in them. The a7RIV has the higher resolution, latest generation full frame sensor available. The Z7 is two years ago technology, but still excellent. The a7RIV gives you the ability to shoot in crop mode with about the same resolution as the best crop mode cameras. It is a much more flexible sensor in many ways. But you will likely not be limited in editing files from either sensor. So, why give up the additional features of the a7rIV?

The focus system of both cameras for landscape, or studio portraits, macro, product will produce superb results. For event shooting, run and gun portraits, travel, or anything else that moves, the Sony ls far superior. Since the few use cases will likely produce equal results, why give up the additional (in fact World leading) focus capabilities that the a7rIV offers? If it moves, and not necessarily fast, you will get far more keepers with the Sony. Sony is far ahead in any AI related features.

The Sony cameras are the most customizable on the market. You will find that once you understand the menu system (very powerful and not hard at all in my experience) you will have a camera that behaves like it was built custom for you. Most now egard the ergonomics/buttons etc of the latest Sony bodies (a7rIV/a9II) to be on par with the Nikon/Canon bodies. So, why give up the more flexible configuration available in the a7rIV?

In all independent tests I have seen the Sony cameras come out on top for color accuracy. If you have a strong personal bias for a brands default colors then that should be considered. For RAW as you know you can cook them the way you like. For jpegs there is some configuration available through Creative Style in camera. In most cases I find that few can determine what camera a jpeg was shot on in the real World.

In short, in many cases you will get excellent results from both systems. But currently the a7rIV offers much more capability, more choices, and a wider set of use cases, than the Nikon Z system. Why give that up?

Another thing to consider is the financial capabilities and resources of the company behind the products. Because buying a company's product is a form of investing in that company. Sony is the the Worlds largest image sensor company by a big margin. They are financially much more diversified and on more solid footing than Nikon which is very much challenged financially currently. Sony stock is setting new highs, while Nikon stock is setting new lows. This is a strong indicator of R&D budgets, and new technologies in the future. This, and the fact that Nikon relies on Sony for it's sensors makes it more likely than not that the Nikon cameras will trail technologically, as they are now, going forward for some time. This should be an important factor in your choice.

Apr 09, 2020 at 01:51 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Z7 vs A7Riv

I found out the other day the Z7 does not have a vertical able grip...show stopper right there. If shooting a lot of vertical oriented images, this might be critical.

Right now the Sony system of native lenses is far ahead of the Nikon system...that might be important going forward when looking at extending your lenses.

Apr 09, 2020 at 02:32 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Both have Sony sensors, and you can't go wrong with either option IMO. Get the one that feels better in your hands.

Apr 09, 2020 at 02:34 PM
Faraday
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Z7 vs A7Riv

I love the a7riv and with crop factor you can extend that 24-70, but if you shoot portraits I'm still gonna bug you to buy the 85 1.4 as well as the 135 1.8

Apr 09, 2020 at 02:40 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Faraday wrote:
I love the a7riv and with crop factor you can extend that 24-70, but if you shoot portraits I'm still gonna bug you to buy the 85 1.4 as well as the 135 1.8

Get the 85 1.8, save 900 bucks, and get the EF Tamron 35/1.4 + Sigma MC-11 instead, then you have a holy portrait trinity

Apr 09, 2020 at 02:43 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Z7 = First generation.

A7rIV = generation 4.

Apr 09, 2020 at 02:44 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Look, even Nikon acknowledges on a pure feature by feature comparison the Z cameras do not compete well against more mature systems such as Sony's.

Nikon even says in their advertising that the best reason to buy a Z camera is your existing Nikon lens collection which can be adapted with variable levels of performance to work on the Z cameras.

Some Nikon executives have come out and said that the Z cameras were not intended to compete at the "professional camera" level. Lack of vertical grip, two card slots, crippled flash, uncompetitive FPS, limited focus capabilities, and other things make that fairly clear.

The Z cameras were released to stop defections, not compete head to head with the Sony a9/a7rIII/a7III cameras. Now they are even further behind as Sony releases their IV generation cameras.

Even if some of those features are not high on your list, why limit yourself when they are available now?

Edited on Apr 09, 2020 at 11:41 PM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2020 at 03:06 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Z7 vs A7Riv

On Sony colors:

In all the scientific/blind tests I have seen Sony is one of the most accurate cameras at color reproduction, the Z cameras are pretty far down the list.

https://pdnonline.com/gear/cameras/the-best-cameras-for-color-reproduction-ranked/

https://www.image-engineering.de/

That being said, it is perfectly valid to have a preference for color bias in a camera. This is most true with skin tones.

Apr 09, 2020 at 03:43 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Z7 vs A7Riv

I'm sure both have similar image quality... jpeg is subjective so you should just look at a bunch of samples and decide what you prefer... and autofocus sounds like it improved a lot on Nikon Z6/7 with firmware updates, so might be a wash.

Both kits are a considerable investment, so I'd just rent both, see what you think on jpeg output and autofocus and perhaps more importantly, which you prefer ergonomically, in actual use.

Also, if you think you might buy any additional lenses at all, you've got to look at the lens ecosystem, which probably goes to Sony unless you're migrating from Nikon dSLR. Other ecosystem considerations too, like flash (not sure if Z series supports the robust Nikon flash ecosystem).

Apr 09, 2020 at 03:55 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Z7 vs A7Riv

RoamingScott wrote:
Both have Sony sensors, and you can't go wrong with either option IMO. Get the one that feels better in your hands.

I think glass is more important than feel in hands. Sony has accumulated as awful lot of native mount glass.

Apr 09, 2020 at 04:11 PM
Mister-Mr
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Z7 vs A7Riv

It's doubtful that very many on the Sony forum have owned both the Z7 and the Riv.
I do remember one long term Sony mirrorless user who switched to the Z and was very happy..
You mentioned that ease of use was of no concern, but that would be a major consideration - for me.
Probably more than any other measurement.
Sure you can adapt to any system but if one was much easier, then I'd expect that would drive your decision more than you may think.

Jonathan0007 wrote:
Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing well during these difficult times. I have been thinking about making a switch in my photography equipment and am currently looking at two bodies: the Sony A7Riv and Nikon Z7. I plan to sell my current equipment and also use some of the money I have saved up for one of the following combos (eventually):

A7Riv
Sigma 24-70
135mm 1.8 GM

Z7
24-70 2.8 S
70-200 2.8 S

I would really appreciate your input on this matter. Here are the things that matter most to me:
-Image quality and RAW file latitude
-JPEG color rendition (after a 500-pic photoshoot, I prefer to
...Show more

Apr 09, 2020 at 04:32 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Both systems would be good. I have folks in my portrait classes shooting Canon, Sony, Fuji and Nikon. I shot Canon and then moved to Fuji and now shoot Fuji as well as Sony. As good Sony is tech wise, I prefer Fuji. Hands down best usability but lot more $$. I mostly shoot portraits.

Apr 09, 2020 at 04:40 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Z7 vs A7Riv

chez wrote:
I think glass is more important than feel in hands. Sony has accumulated as awful lot of native mount glass.

As far as I know Sony doesn't have 50mm f0.95, 105mm f1.4, 200mm f2, 300mm f2.8,

Apr 09, 2020 at 04:42 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Shooting Canon, Sony, Fuji I would say Canon/Fuji and then Sony. I only shoot portraits. Differences are small though and if one is good in processing, almost no difference in which camera you start with. I am no good in pp so prefer what Fuji gives me.

Apr 09, 2020 at 04:45 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Z7 vs A7Riv

bobby350z wrote:
As far as I know Sony doesn't have 50mm f0.95, 105mm f1.4, 200mm f2, 300mm f2.8,

Sony has all of those between Sony and third parties, native and adapted.

I don't think any mirrorless brand has all of those native either.

Apr 09, 2020 at 04:55 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Z7 vs A7Riv

bobby350z wrote:

Really, there are native 105 1.4, 200 f2 and 300 f2.8 for the Z mount. I must be too engrossed in Covid and missed Nikon's Torid release pace of new lenses.

Apr 09, 2020 at 05:35 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Z7 vs A7Riv

Mister-Mr wrote:
It's doubtful that very many on the Sony forum have owned both the Z7 and the Riv.
I do remember one long term Sony mirrorless user who switched to the Z and was very happy..
You mentioned that ease of use was of no concern, but that would be a major consideration - for me.
Probably more than any other measurement.
Sure you can adapt to any system but if one was much easier, then I'd expect that would drive your decision more than you may think.

This usability thing sure raised its head when Sony emerged onto the scene...mainly as a strike against Sony. I use cameras from many manufactures and they are all very usable once you spend some time with them. Personally I feel the issue of usability is more related to the person and theiir comfort zone than to any equipment.

Apr 09, 2020 at 05:39 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.