Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              22      
       24       end

Archive 2020 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

AZHeaven
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.23 #1 · p.23 #1 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

nandadevieast wrote:
Why did you return the 1st copy?

My lens was one of 3 on the west coast that had an AF motor issue. So they replaced it for free. Now twice! But I'm able to get out a little more after therapy and use the lens at a local lake. This 3rd copy is golden!

Aug 09, 2020 at 09:25 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.23 #2 · p.23 #2 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Jonathan F wrote:
How are you liking the lens skin? Is the material durable? Also any idea on long term residue from the adhesive?

These are the life guards skins that are always being promoted on SAR. They use the same 3M film that I've been using to skin other devices...game consoles, tablets, mobile devices. A friend of mine had her porsche wrapped in a similar white carbon vinyl...pretty sure its the exact same 3M film.

At any rate, these skins don't leave any residue and should peel right off....I've had to peel some off to re-adjust already and it came off easily and pressed back into place. I've used cheaper films that will leave a residue or not come off cleanly, so beware using cheaper quality skins.

I put the brushed metal vintage style skins on my a7riv and 85 GM:

Untitled by Carlo Alcala, on Flickr

Aug 09, 2020 at 06:11 PM
Hodie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.23 #3 · p.23 #3 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Haven’t gone through all the posts here but for those who sold their 70-200 GM for the Tamron, how has your experience been? I shoot with an A7III and am considering doing the swap for the weight and price, but want to make sure there are no issues with AF. From what I read there isn’t. I would primarily use the lens for travel/landscape.

Edited on Aug 14, 2020 at 01:03 PM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:41 AM
Hodie
• • •
p.23 #4 · p.23 #4 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Great review! I’m convinced!

Jman13 wrote:
My full review is up: https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-tamron-70-180mm-f-2-8-di-iii-vxd/

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:02 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.23 #5 · p.23 #5 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Hodie wrote:
but want to make sure there are no issues with AF. From what I read there isn’t. I would primarily use the lens for travel/landscape.

AF is one of the areas this lens excels. So fast accurate, and silent. No worries in that regard.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:43 AM
LS_Ren

p.23 #6 · p.23 #6 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Anyone used this lens with the A9? What max FPS are you getting?

Aug 14, 2020 at 07:57 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.23 #7 · p.23 #7 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

LS_Ren wrote:
Anyone used this lens with the A9? What max FPS are you getting?

Never counted as I prefer 10 fps for culling reasons. Seems to keep up at that speed easily.

I will test this tomorrow.

Aug 14, 2020 at 08:16 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.23 #8 · p.23 #8 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

So I went out and tested for frame rate this morning.

setup:

FPS set to High
AF-C
Matrix metering
Wide Tracking
Electronic Shutter
Silent Shooting On
Card slot 1 RAW, Slot 2 JPEG (RAW format is compressed, uncompressed is slower)
Real Time Tracking on shutter button.

I focused on a small single flower out in the yard. It had a busy but far away background, so decent tracking environment. I moved the camera around to require the focus system to track.

I did a two second count in my head, I am reasonably accurate with this.

I ran the test 5 times. The lowest frame count I got was 36, the highest was 41. The variation is probably as much a result of my counting as anything else.

Looks to me like this lens, in this realistic conditions environment, is able to get really close to the a9s advertised 20 fps. Certainly within the accuracy of my crude methodology. Frames in focus was in the high 90s%.

I am not a seasoned lens tester/reviewer. Still, I consider this an excellent result for this lens.

Edited on Jan 15, 2021 at 11:36 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2020 at 09:20 AM
HelBen85
• •
p.23 #9 · p.23 #9 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

After a few weeks of waiting, my new travel tele has finally arrived.
Taken on an evening walk after my test procedure. Stopped down, it can keep up with the Voigtlander 110mm and the Sony 135mm GM even in the corners, it also clearly beats the Samyang 75mm (my copy). My copy is weakest at the short end. After that it is consistently excellent.
I am very satisfied, it is definitely the best Tamron I have ever had.
Very fast autofocus and relatively accurate. The bottleneck here is my A7RIII, on which few lenses focus satisfactorily (with AF) from my point of view. Of the many lenses I've tried on the A7RIII, only the Sony 135mm GM is better and faster. Manual focusing is also very convenient. I can hardly believe the size and weight of this lens in relation to its performance.
Thanks to the 67mm filter thread, my filter system fits. Unfortunately, it is of course a bit front-heavy, so you have to be a little careful on the tripod not to get blurred pictures.

Test Tamron 70-180 by Ben Helmhagen, auf Flickr

Aug 21, 2020 at 07:59 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.23 #10 · p.23 #10 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Yep, for all the reasons you mentioned this lens is an amazing value in this focal length and aperture range.

Aug 21, 2020 at 09:18 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.23 #11 · p.23 #11 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

From the top of Mt Soledad here in La Jolla this evening. Shooting the moon rise over the mountains to the East of San Diego. Almost a perfectly round full moon. Just a tiny bit off.

The Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 works well for landscapes.

Enjoy.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:26 AM
kroyston
• •
p.23 #12 · p.23 #12 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

A lot of good feedback in this thread, but some concerning reports of decentering and focus issues with the initial copies. Has that seemed to improve as the lens has been in production longer? Any recent trouble with new purchases?

I’m interested in swapping my Batis 135 for this Tamron due to the increased versatility. Primary use is
landscapes on day hikes, but will serve double duty for family portraits.

Jan 09, 2021 at 11:10 AM
poses

p.23 #13 · p.23 #13 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

kroyston wrote:
A lot of good feedback in this thread, but some concerning reports of decentering and focus issues with the initial copies. Has that seemed to improve as the lens has been in production longer? Any recent trouble with new purchases?

I’m interested in swapping my Batis 135 for this Tamron due to the increased versatility. Primary use is
landscapes on day hikes, but will serve double duty for family portraits.

I had high hopes for this lens, but have been let down on two recently purchased copies. Both of them render beautifully, but are consistently back focusing at most focal lengths near and far. I'm using an A7RIII. They both have v2 firmware. I think I'll have to return my second copy and dont think I have the patience to try a third ):

Jan 11, 2021 at 02:27 PM
kroyston
• •
p.23 #14 · p.23 #14 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Thanks for the feedback. Damn, I was hoping they'd have this sorted out. I'd be using it on an R3 as well, did it back focus both on AF-C and AF-S?

I may roll the dice if I can get a good deal, and test it out thoroughly while I can send it back.

Jan 11, 2021 at 02:44 PM
poses

p.23 #15 · p.23 #15 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

kroyston wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Damn, I was hoping they'd have this sorted out. I'd be using it on an R3 as well, did it back focus both on AF-C and AF-S?

I may roll the dice if I can get a good deal, and test it out thoroughly while I can send it back.

I'd say give it a go and hopefully you dont get unlucky! Maybe its my body, too, who knows. I can tell it would have been a great lens if reliable. I dont recall if it did this as much on AF-C, but I need accurate focus on AF-S personally for product photo.

Jan 11, 2021 at 02:49 PM
Dagatech

p.23 #16 · p.23 #16 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

I can't say that I've done very thorough testing, but I was using the 70-180 on my A7r2 in AF-C to take pictures of my niece as she ran around over the holidays, and didn't miss a single shot due to focus. Shooting at low (<f4) aperture usually too. So...

Jan 11, 2021 at 08:21 PM
Dagatech

p.23 #17 · p.23 #17 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

new review from PhilipReeve.net: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-tamron-70-180mm-f-2-8-di-iii-vxd/

TL;DR - They really like it, but wish it had a couple manual controls (AF/MF switch). Recommended.

Jan 13, 2021 at 08:40 AM
QuietOC
• • •
p.23 #18 · p.23 #18 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

kroyston wrote:

The one I received on 12/9/2020 was misaligned--quite badly at the wide end. I am still waiting for a refund.

1bwana1 wrote:
So I went out and tested for frame rate this morning.

setup:

FPS set to High
AF-C
Matrix metering
Wide Tracking
Electronic Shutter
Silent Shooting On
Card slot 1 RAW, Slot 2 JPEG
Real Time Tracking on shutter button.

I focused on a small single flower out in the yard. It had a busy but far away background, so decent tracking environment. I moved the camera around to require the focus system to track.

I did a two second count in my head, I am reasonably accurate with this.

I ran the test 5 times. The lowest frame count I got was 36,
...Show more

Interesting. This is the first time I've heard of a third-party lens that could do > 15 FPS. Dustin Abbott only got 15 FPS when he tested this lens.

Jan 13, 2021 at 09:19 AM
HelBen85
• •
p.23 #19 · p.23 #19 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

Really like it...

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:43 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.23 #20 · p.23 #20 · Pre-order: Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony E-mount!

QuietOC wrote:
Interesting. This is the first time I've heard of a third-party lens that could do > 15 FPS. Dustin Abbott only got 15 FPS when he tested this lens.

I couldn't find any reference to it in Dustin's review, but there is a difference in FPS depending on whether you are shooting in compressed or uncompressed RAW. In uncompressed RAW I get between 14 to 15 FPS over a 5 second burst. In compressed RAW is consistently over 17 FPS. I neglected to list this setting in my post.

That indicates that the 15 FPS may be a limitation of the camera, not the lens.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM
       24       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

24       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.