Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2020 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

Got the news from B&H mailing list this hour. This is a 1200Ws pack-and-head xenon flash with LED modelling and powered by Li-ion. I'm a Profoto loyalist but time moves on:

Ref: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542822-REG/godox_ad1200pro_ad1200_pro_led_light.html

Mar 31, 2020 at 07:59 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

Would have loved to see a monolight version of this though realize that it would be as big as a PCB Link. That being said...is pack and head the way of the future or is this pure niche material?

Apr 01, 2020 at 07:43 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

Maybe this will give Profoto some incentive to start supporting its "original base" of deeply invested professional photogaphers, many of whom feel abandoned by Profoto's recent releases such as the A1 and C1.

I would love to see Profoto update its pack and head systems. Update the Acute2 B600 with more power, better lithium battery capability, etc.

It is interesting to see that the Godox pack has a color stable mode---I would like to know how that mode setting impacts performance of the pack in other respects. If Godox added different mount options other than Bowens (Profoto mount!) that would certainly be a shot across the bow.

Ken

Apr 01, 2020 at 09:55 AM
Simon Barker
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

kdphotography wrote:
Maybe this will give Profoto some incentive to start supporting its "original base" of deeply invested professional photogaphers, many of whom feel abandoned by Profoto's recent releases such as the A1 and C1.

I would love to see Profoto update its pack and head systems. Update the Acute2 B600 with more power, better lithium battery capability, etc.

Perhaps but consider, the B range has effectively killed off both the AcuteB and Pro-B ranges and if that means Profoto sees the cheaper battery monoblocks as making the pack and head battery solutions too niche then I think the AD1200 at only $1.6k retail (which will get discounts eventually) makes a good argument against an expensive alternative.

Apr 01, 2020 at 08:41 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

The Profoto Pack and Head systems still offer much over the B1 et al monolight series. The Godox offers an alternative pack, but it is the Profoto mount and its host of modifiers that really make migration from Profoto difficult.

Apr 01, 2020 at 10:11 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

No way I'm giving up my Profoto system: too many fine components that work just fine. I do, however, mix and match my strobes with Speedlights for reasons of convenience. Adding the AD1200Pro to the fleet gives additional options including another field-deployable 1200Ws (with HSS no less). I can do lots with a bare bulb, or that standard dish bounced toward a wall. The Bowens mount is cheap enough that an extra dish or speed ring shouldn't break the bank.

Apr 02, 2020 at 01:32 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

Looks to be only a single head connection per pack? Probably gets complicated/expensive to have multiple and independently controlled heads.

Apr 02, 2020 at 10:37 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

rico wrote:
No way I'm giving up my Profoto system: too many fine components that work just fine. I do, however, mix and match my strobes with Speedlights for reasons of convenience. Adding the AD1200Pro to the fleet gives additional options including another field-deployable 1200Ws (with HSS no less). I can do lots with a bare bulb, or that standard dish bounced toward a wall. The Bowens mount is cheap enough that an extra dish or speed ring shouldn't break the bank.

If you did add the AD1200 to your systems, could you use this adapter to use Profoto modifiers on the AD1200? I'm not familiar with Godox and am quite happy with my Profoto lights (though as a photographer I feel abandoned by Profoto )

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1450881-REG/godox_profotoadapter_broncolor_adapter_f_ad400_pro.html

Ken

Apr 02, 2020 at 10:08 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

@kdphotography I know nothing about the Bowens mount but hear that adapters to Profoto exist. If I added this pack their standard dish would be fine. Most of my modifiers are 2'x3' Matthews panels of various kinds, flags, foamcore, and wall bounce. My latest addition is the MSE cello cucoloris. A test:

Even a Speedlight can handle this responsibility so I should get decent mileage from the AS1200 without Profoto adaptations.

Apr 02, 2020 at 10:55 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

If the AD1200 flash duration were shorter at full power (using leaf shutter lenses) it would really raise my eyebrows. My guess it is quite usable at near full power at ~800-1000 WS.

But $1600 for a 1200WS pack and head is pretty attractive. I'll be watching for actual user reports.

Ken

Apr 03, 2020 at 09:44 AM
StoryInPictures
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

I’m pretty excited about this.

I have the previous generation 1100ws Elinchrom Ranger and use predominantly Elinchrom modifiers, but I have found the Godox ecosystem and triggers to be more reliable, flexible and convenient, so I have been running a hybrid system.

I considered the new 1200WS Ranger, but the price point and huge delays in Fuji support, not to mention having to invest in such expensive triggers (you need at least two of any critical gear) made it pretty unappealing.

Godox speedlights, including the V1 round head speedlight, can function as triggers. The Godox V1, which works better than the Profoto A1, is cost competitive with the cheapest Profoto or Elinchrom triggers, so you get a great speedlight and a backup trigger. And the other Godox trigger options are far more intuitive and reliable and cost a lot less.

I work regularly enough with the latest generation Profoto and Elinchrom gear. The Profoto especially has proved to have far more reliability issues than the Godox gear, which surprises me to no end. And, in parabolic(ish) modifiers and Softboxes, the bare bulb design of the Godox gear punches above its WS rating compared to the Profoto gear.

I can’t say without testing if that will be true of the AD1200, but if it puts out light relative to the other Godox gear, we will have a winner.

Apr 04, 2020 at 11:36 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

StoryInPictures wrote:
....The Profoto especially has proved to have far more reliability issues than the Godox gear, which surprises me to no end. And, in parabolic(ish) modifiers and Softboxes, the bare bulb design of the Godox gear punches above its WS rating compared to the Profoto gear.

It sounds like your comments with regard to Profoto pertain only to the B1 series (B1, N1x, B10 ey al) monolights and A1?

It is the reliability of Profoto's pack and head systems, mount and modifiers that made Profoto such a mainstay in rental houses.

I'd like to see a comparison made between pack and head systems only. Add a few minor tweaks (frosted domes) and mounts---and Godox will probably have a winner, especially considering the price point for a 1200WS pack.

Apr 05, 2020 at 09:12 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

Godox has a winner on paper but we'll see if AD1200 build quality and reliability matches the Swedish equivalent:

IMO Profoto priced themselves out of existence in a world that now needs low price, low weight and, especially, low power: no-one is shooting K25 anymore. Like most of my lighting gear, I picked up this beauty from eBay—for $600!

Apr 05, 2020 at 12:54 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

Part of the issue with Profoto is the Swedish tax rates. The overall taxes on Sweden's GDP is around 44%. I've hung in with Profoto because of the service and availability. If Godox ever provides reasonable service and support on their products, Profoto will really struggle. Toss away, if you know that going in, is fine for lower priced gear, but $1,600 a pop is difficult to swallow. Do you buy two to make sure you can deliver to clients? I don't know the answer.

Apr 05, 2020 at 05:50 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

story_teller wrote:
I've hung in with Profoto because of the service and availability. ...

Yeah, the service issue is real for Godox and must be fixed before photogs will outlay the big bucks or rely on them in a professional capacity. Even amateurs like me are going to think about purchases above $1K with no repair recourse.

Apr 05, 2020 at 08:27 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

I would have liked to have the option of 2 outputs.

Apr 05, 2020 at 09:30 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

kdphotography wrote:

It is interesting to see that the Godox pack has a color stable mode---I would like to know how that mode setting impacts performance of the pack in other respects. If Godox added different mount options other than Bowens (Profoto mount!) that would certainly be
...Show more

Eh. I love me my Profotos but couldn't be rid of my B600Rs sooner. I absolutely love the B10, and have already replaced both my B600s with 'em. Now if only I could find someone willing to buy my B600Rs....

Apr 06, 2020 at 12:49 AM
Simon Barker
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

story_teller wrote:
Part of the issue with Profoto is the Swedish tax rates. The overall taxes on Sweden's GDP is around 44%. I've hung in with Profoto because of the service and availability. If Godox ever provides reasonable service and support on their products, Profoto will really struggle. Toss away, if you know that going in, is fine for lower priced gear, but $1,600 a pop is difficult to swallow. Do you buy two to make sure you can deliver to clients? I don't know the answer.

I'm not so sure that's a good argument against Godox in this area, Profoto have discontinued the Pro-B4 so they have nothing in this range but even if they did it'd be around three/four times the cost and unless there's some nasty flaw I'd feel fairly confident three AD1200's would outlast a single Pro-B4.

OK you've got servicing and rental options with Profoto which is great but once you're past the warranty (because Profoto insists on board rather than component level replacements) faults tend are expensive to fix, it wouldn't be too surprising if a repair would be around the cost of a new AD1200 (especially once they start discounting them).

Are there any other 'cheap' options? I suppose the used market, there's still cheap Pro-B2/B3's if you hunt some but the supply will really dwindle as they start failing and I think the newest lithium batteries for these models were 2014 at best?

Apr 06, 2020 at 07:56 AM
TheJackBurton

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

The writing's on the wall for Profoto. They've shown that they've already seen it and are moving to address hobbyists with a continued Apple-ification of their products (dead easy to use, somewhat limited, as few buttons as possible). And, like Apple, they're still going to make that one, very expensive piece of gear that is the flagship product aimed at capturing a very limited niche of creatives (Pro 2400ws packs).

The fact that you've got so many people rallying around the Profoto flag in a Godox thread shows that, even tacitly, everyone else knows the writing's on the wall as well. A 1200ws Godox might not be a panacea, but it's a sign that the last barriers are falling, that what it means to "be a pro" is changing.

Given that the majority of professional photographers make under 60k/year, it's Godox for the rest of us. And speaking personally, I'm thankful for it. $380 for a Magnum, and $320 for the grid? Useless, flat faced strobe design. Overpriced, glorified speedlights marketed like they're sent from the heavens. Good riddance. Happy to be out from under their control of the market.

Apr 06, 2020 at 09:25 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Godox AD1200 pack announced!

Simon Barker wrote:
OK you've got servicing and rental options with Profoto which is great but once you're past the warranty (because Profoto insists on board rather than component level replacements) faults tend are expensive to fix, it wouldn't be too surprising if a repair would be around the cost of a new AD1200 (especially once they start discounting them).

Agree! It sounds bad, but it's a "disposable" economy. It probably would be easier for Godox to tweak and improve features on the AD1200 than it would be to convince Profoto that they aren't winning over traditional Profoto professionals with offerings like the A1 and C1 It's been quite some time since Profoto has released a pack and head system excluding the $15,000 Pro 10 pack. Profoto has abandoned their traditional base.

Outside of a lateral move to Bron, the Godox AD1200 is a viable option. At $1600 it is like a disposable system if something goes wrong---compared to the cost of a Profoto repair. I would not be surprised if individual AD1200 components are sold, making replacement more palatable (i.e, buy the pack alone without head, and accessories, etc)

Apr 06, 2020 at 10:32 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.