FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13              end

Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Newenglandrocks
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

lensfan wrote:
Earlier, someone wrote on FM forum that this was the best lens Sony made. I think this is close to be true. Small, lightweight, superb optically, probably best Sony's wide angle lens, one of the best for low-light photography, best museum lens, good for night sky, great for full-frame video, great autofocus with 2 linear motors.
If not the best, most practical for sure. Must have.
With this lens I will not miss 24G or Loxia 21. Never tried 24GM but does not seem like it is up to today's standards - will wait for 24GM II. Thanks to this lens I
...Show more

Again, I think "best" can't really be quantified, nor does best apply in all situations. I mean, I just saw a hawk attempt to attack my backyard chickens, and then after thwarting it, my wife asked me to photograph said hawk. I had the 24GM on my camera. I am certain the 20G would have been equally mediocre in capturing the hawk, which had come to rest on a telephone near the front yard of our house. My longest lens is the 200-600G, and it did the trick.

Back to the subject at hand, I have both and although I cannot argue against the technical shortcomings of the 24GM, I do reach for it a lot. The rendering of the lens is wonderful and haunted me for several years after I rented it while I built up a collection "glass I need", which included the 20G. I finally picked up the 24GM last summer and am glad I finally have it in the stable. Right after buying, I went to Montréal for a long weekend a shot it exclusively. It was wonderful. Album here:
https://flickr.com/photos/53775612@N00/sets/72177720301945257

Here's one of my favorite photos from the trip

Since you are in NYC, I highly recommend renting the 24GM for trip or a weekend of shooting. You may fall in love with it as I did!

Edited on Apr 18, 2024 at 08:00 AM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2023 at 06:35 PM
akdmx1

p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Very curious how this compares to the Sony FE 16-25mm f/2.8 G

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:03 PM
Newenglandrocks
• • •
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

akdmx1 wrote:
Very curious how this compares to the Sony FE 16-25mm f/2.8 G

We know for certain it won't be as good for astro because it doesn't gather as much light as either the 20G and 24GM. And those of us who bought the 24GM just for its amazing OOF rendering are not rushing to go out and buy any zoom to replace it. Horses for courses and sorry to state the super obvious.

Apr 18, 2024 at 08:03 AM
jdcoletv

p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

princeharbinger wrote:
I'm rather shocked that no one has brought up the Samyang 24mm F/1.8 AF. It actually outperforms the Sony 20mm F/1.8 G. The acuity of the Samyang is above any of the lenses mentioned in this thread. I understand everyone has their personal preference. Some will prefer the build quality as well as the handling of the CV or the ZL. We can't have it all in one lens unfortunately. For those looking for the best IQ. I just wanted to point out that the Samyang beats the lenses mentioned in this thread.

I disagree. While the Samyang 24/1.8 is a nice sharp moderate wide angle lens, it is not as sharp nor as wide, is not built as well nor with as good a feature set as the Sony 20/1.8. I have both and use the Sony 20/1.8 a lot whereas the Samyang mostly stays in my bag.

Apr 18, 2024 at 08:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Carles77

p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

I had the 20mm G, the 24mm GM and the loxia 21mm. A few people complain about colors on the 20G and for me colors are the most important part of a lens besides the sharpness. We admired many photos done with old lenses with no so much sharpness so this is just a marketing thing. I know sharpness is important but not so much. If lens has no good colors or contrast you can solve in post but not getting the same quality than with a good lens.

The 20mm G has dull-soft colors compared to loxia and GM from my eyes. Anyway is a very sharp lens in the center, bokeh is ok (not amazing), and size is perfect. I prefer 20mm focal than 24mm, and for street photography I prefect autofocus than manual so no good choice in there. If the 20mm had better colors will be the best of 3.

May 13, 2024 at 04:02 AM
tuomkok
• • •
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Carles77 wrote:
I had the 20mm G, the 24mm GM and the loxia 21mm. A few people complain about colors on the 20G and for me colors are the most important part of a lens besides the sharpness. We admired many photos done with old lenses with no so much sharpness so this is just a marketing thing. I know sharpness is important but not so much. If lens has no good colors or contrast you can solve in post but not getting the same quality than with a good lens.

The 20mm G has dull-soft colors compared to loxia and GM
...Show more

Cannot say anything about the colors, but 20 G has less contrast than 24 GM, and way less than Loxia 21. All three are good lenses, good enough for a stellar picture, but I think the Sony lenses are better balanced. it is more easy to approach the final picture in edit from less to more contrast. In harsh light the very contrasty Loxia is a little problematic. Some would call it "rendering"

From these three lenses 24 GM is easily my overall favourite.

May 13, 2024 at 04:42 AM
Carles77

p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

agree!

May 13, 2024 at 05:20 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.