Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Bob_S wrote:
So the prime loses to a zoom?

That Sigma 14-24 is no normal zoom.

At 14mm itís even better. If you can dig the size and filters, youíll be astonished.

Mar 16, 2020 at 04:07 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Bob_S wrote:
So the prime loses to a zoom?

The Sigma 14-24mm is a remarkable lens. In my experience, it's essentially as good or better than the very best primes throughout its entire focal range.

Mar 16, 2020 at 04:10 PM
nhsonyshooter
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

I'm not seeing a big difference either way. Kudos to the Sigma for pulling that off. It's understandable but unfortunate it has that bulbous front. Just not an option no matter how good for me. My 20mm comes on Thursday, I just hope it performs at the same level as Fred's. I'm really going to regret selling the 24 if it's not

Mar 16, 2020 at 04:30 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Sigma 14/24 does not support filters
Far too limiting

Mar 16, 2020 at 04:31 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

nhsonyshooter wrote:
I'm not seeing a big difference either way. Kudos to the Sigma for pulling that off. It's understandable but unfortunate it has that bulbous front. Just not an option no matter how good for me. My 20mm comes on Thursday, I just hope it performs at the same level as Fred's. I'm really going to regret selling the 24 if it's not

I purchased and had the same thought. Simply to large and bulbous. Great optic though.

Mar 16, 2020 at 05:07 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

rattlebonez wrote:
Far too limiting

There are rear filter solutions.

Mar 16, 2020 at 05:07 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

You can use filters on it...it's just less compact, and the filter solutions are expensive. For me, it's worth it. I have the Nisi S5 front filter holder for a polarizer and the Kase rear filters for ND. Both work very well. The Nisi attaches very quickly.

It is very big, though. You can get a cap for the front, though, so I can stow it with caps in one of the front pockets of my Retrospective 30.

A shot taken with polarizer on the 14-24mm at 15.7mm:

rattlebonez wrote:
Far too limiting

Mar 16, 2020 at 05:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I purchased and had the same thought. Simply to large and bulbous. Great optic though.

I love shooting with primes but the Sigma 14-24 changed things for me. I could not believe the resolution/contrast, color rendering and flare resistance coming from a bulbous lens...and that's on a 60MP sensor. There is a very long thread on this lens here.

It's optimal at 14-17mm and at this range there is nothing on the market matching it and that goes for primes or zooms. Starting at 18mm, we have primes performing similarly but in many cases the zoom still outperforms them in resolution and contrast.
Flare resistance and very low color aberration (both lateral and axial) are also surprises.

It's definitely more challenging to use filters with it but it's the only 14-24 lens offering a rear ND filter slot option. There are also front filter adapters available like the ones from NiSi and Haida: (Fotodiox coming soon)
https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-Filter-Holder-14-24mm-Mount/dp/B07X5X9XL8
https://www.2filter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/haida-m15-filter-holder-kit-for-simga-14-24mm-f2.8-dg-dn-art-lens-for-sony-e.html

Mar 16, 2020 at 05:28 PM
Blueshound
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

I'd love to go ahead and purchase the Sigma for it's image quality, but the practical reality, FOR ME, is that it would almost never make the cut for travel beyond my home area due to it's size and weight.

The exception would be a trip or outing exclusively for landscape outings, and with the only trip priority being photography. That would really narrow the use cases to a small percentage. Again, for me. I get it how outstanding and desirable the Sigma is in general.

I'll soldier on for a while with the compromise of my FE 12-24, and a couple of primes in the wide zone. Which is why I'm interested in the Sony 20. Very nice to have good options.

Brian

Mar 16, 2020 at 05:39 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

The Sigma is only 200g heavier than the Sony 12-24....so if you're carrying additional primes to complement that lens, you're carrying more weight than the Sigma.

Blueshound wrote:
I'd love to go ahead and purchase the Sigma for it's image quality, but the practical reality, FOR ME, is that it would almost never make the cut for travel beyond my home area due to it's size and weight.

The exception would be a trip or outing exclusively for landscape outings, and with the only trip priority being photography. That would really narrow the use cases to a small percentage. Again, for me. I get it how outstanding and desirable the Sigma is in general.

I'll soldier on for a while with the compromise of my FE 12-24, and a couple
...Show more

Mar 16, 2020 at 05:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
I love shooting with primes but the Sigma 14-24 changed things for me. I could not believe the resolution/contrast, color rendering and flare resistance coming from a bulbous lens...and that's on a 60MP sensor. There is a very long thread on this lens here.

It's optimal at 14-17mm and at this range there is nothing in the market matching it and that goes for primes or zooms. Starting at 18mm, we have primes performing similarly but in many cases the zoom still outperforms them in resolution and contrast.
Flare resistance and very low color aberration (both lateral and axial) are also
...Show more

I totally get it, and having shot the lens, I can see why the IQ is a marvel--there's simply nothing else like it on the market. Having said that, it's like a lot of Sigma lenses to me--simply too large.

As someone who prioritizes size and rendering as much as technical IQ and probably more than most FM'er's (I hike 10+ miles often with a wide which I think very few are doing), this type of lenses won't do it for me.

But I think that next winter I'll head way up North and the shoot the Northern lights, or if I was shooting from a car more, I'd pick up copy if the situation allowed and be extremely pleased with the results.

Mar 16, 2020 at 06:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I totally get it, and having shot the lens, I can see why the IQ is a marvel--there's simply nothing else like it on the market. Having said that, it's like a lot of Sigma lenses to me--simply too large.

As someone who prioritizes size and rendering as much as technical IQ and probably more than most FM'er's (I hike 10+ miles often with a wide which I think very few are doing), this type of lenses won't do it for me.

But I think that next winter I'll head way up North and the shoot the Northern lights, or if
...Show more

Just like the Sigma 14-24, the new Sony 20/1.8 G has very low LoCA and LoCA for such lens. (Noticeably lower than the Loxia 21's).
It looks like its extreme corners are sharper than the 24/1.4 GM starting at f/4 all the way to f/8. The center area is ridiculously sharp and the best I've seen for a 20-24mm lens. (sharper than the 24GM when both are set to f/1.8!)

That's really impressive for the price.

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:05 PM
Kund

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

chez wrote:
Great. Thanks.

Looks like a perfect lens for me. Small, fast and great image quality wide open...nice for my travel photography...and great overall image quality stopped down, good for landscapes. Maybe I'll finally sell my Zeiss 21 fe which is my bread & butter landscape lens.

How does manual focus feel?

Honest question, why would you replace your Zeiss "bread & butter landscape lens" for this one?
What are the benefits to do so, except AF?

Mar 17, 2020 at 03:35 AM
swldstn
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

I would often travel with the Loxia 21, 35, 50 and take filters I could easily use on all three and stay real small.
Or if I needed auto focus take the Batis 18, 25, 40 even though the filter size for the 18mm wasn't the same. 77mm filters I had for other reasons

Now I am seeing me take the 20 G, 24 GM, and Batis 40 with a set of 67mm filters maybe and it really won't be much bigger.

To many options though and two much gear for sure. Never thought the Sony system would get here. For me the only prime I desire now (I say that knowing better) is a 14 or 15 that stays relatively small.

To think I used to carry a TS-E 17mm f/4L and 24mm f/3.5L II

Almost forgot. Fred, thanks for all the images with the side by side comparisons.

Mar 17, 2020 at 03:47 AM
Bob_S
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Jman13 wrote:
The Sigma 14-24mm is a remarkable lens. In my experience, it's essentially as good or better than the very best primes throughout its entire focal range.

Yeah, bloody oath (that's Australiasian for 'sure is').

I was just surprised given how other sites (like DPR) described it as a magical new type of optic. But it lost to a zoom in most areas (i.e. not centre).

Mar 17, 2020 at 04:57 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

swldstn wrote:
I would often travel with the Loxia 21, 35, 50 and take filters I could easily use on all three and stay real small.
Or if I needed auto focus take the Batis 18, 25, 40 even though the filter size for the 18mm wasn't the same. 77mm filters I had for other reasons

Now I am seeing me take the 20 G, 24 GM, and Batis 40 with a set of 67mm filters maybe and it really won't be much bigger.

To many options though and two much gear for sure. Never thought the Sony system would get here. For me the
...Show more

Similar scenario except I'll use mostly the 20 G with the 40 CV. If I need AF for something specific I'll swap out the Samyang 45 1.8 for the CV. Like you I was waiting for 15/16 but now I'm not sure. Need to play with the 20 for alittle. Even when my widest was the 24gm I had great success just stitching a couple images if I needed wider.

Mar 17, 2020 at 06:00 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Bob_S wrote:
Yeah, bloody oath (that's Australiasian for 'sure is').

I was just surprised given how other sites (like DPR) described it as a magical new type of optic. But it lost to a zoom in most areas (i.e. not centre).

Guess it depends on what your looking for. Screw on filter, MF/AF, Aperture ring, Focus hold, great image quality all in a small light compact size. I'd call that a clear winner over the Sigma for people like me that do alot of hiking and are looking for these attributes. If you looking for heavier, larger, but with more flexibility than yes the Sigma would be a clear winner for those people. Nice to have options in 2020 with the Sony system

Mar 17, 2020 at 06:06 AM
Bob_S
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Yeah size and weight for me isn't a real issue, I'm from the film era and carried heavier gear daily.

The flexibility of the zoom is too big a bonus, but then again I prefer the 12-24 to the Sigma.

Mar 17, 2020 at 07:30 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Kund wrote:
Honest question, why would you replace your Zeiss "bread & butter landscape lens" for this one?
What are the benefits to do so, except AF?

I also shoot travel / cultural so the Sony 20 can also be used for that. Currently my Zeiss 21 is strictly a landscape lens due to manual focus and weight...this Sony seems great wide open and weight is good so it fits nicely for travel and stopped down looks pretty damn good for landscapes.

Mar 17, 2020 at 07:40 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses

Jman13 wrote:
The Sigma is only 200g heavier than the Sony 12-24....so if you're carrying additional primes to complement that lens, you're carrying more weight than the Sigma.

The Sigma speed still does not do it. If I carry primes for low light, they typically are f2 and wider.

Mar 17, 2020 at 07:42 AM
       3              12       13       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              12       13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password