New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

So bear with me here... This might at first glance seem like it has a normal explanation, but I don't believe that is the case.

I was photographing a bride getting ready in a hotel room last weekend using the EOS R (with EF 100/2.8 Macro L) and silent shutter mode enabled. These three images were taken in very close succession of one another. Only one second separates the first and last frame. The was practically no movement on my part.

On the second frame, the girl's head squishes inward from both sides, then "pops" back out to normal position in the third frame.

My first thought is that this is some kind of rolling shutter artifact from the use of silent shutter mode. That said... this is WEIRD, right? I have never seen this before. Images often do some weird things when using silent shutter mode and I've found I have to be careful using it.

First picture below: All three frames in succession. There is no cropping or re-positioning at all. This is the full frame. Note the position of her head both from the front and back in the 2nd frame vs the 1st and 3rd frame. Let me reiterate, there was almost NO movement on my part between the three frames.

Second picture below, the 2nd frame overlaid with the first frame.

Edited on Mar 07, 2020 at 12:52 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2020 at 10:04 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

I don't know, man. Couldn't she have slightly moved her head? The effect is mostly from the neck up. What if you aligned the two images on her nose or her lips? If one image was really "squished", then that alignment wouldn't work. Although with the shallow DOF, it's kind of hard to tell if her hair is aligned.

Mark

Mar 07, 2020 at 10:50 AM
2ndviolinman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

Looking at only the subjects head, including the hair, it is close to equal in height and width, actually a bit wider (back of hair to tip of nose) than it is tall (top of hair to bottom of chin). The change in width is slightly more than the change in height, but close, as shown in the overlay.

I'm gonna say that a small but noticeable change in distance accounts for both. If it were related to rolling shutter effects, it would not affect the width (which is the direction of sensor scan in this image) and the height similarly.

Mar 07, 2020 at 10:55 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

The images are deceiving... flipping back and forth in Lightroom and its very obvious her head is squished in the second image. It becomes both more narrow and taller. I will try to record a screen capture to show.

Note... in 17 years of shooting with Canon DSLRs and over 1 million frames captured... I have never seen anything like this before.

Mar 07, 2020 at 11:47 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

Just curious what was the shutter speed on the 3 consecutive images.

Mar 07, 2020 at 11:50 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

1/160, F2.8, ISO 2500 for all three images.

Mar 07, 2020 at 11:52 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

Screen recordings of me flipping back and forth between the images in Lightroom.

Mar 07, 2020 at 12:08 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

Is one of those goofy in-camera settings turned on, such as the distortion?

EBH

Mar 07, 2020 at 12:17 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

In-camera distortion correction is turned off

Mar 07, 2020 at 12:21 PM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

Really quite obvious in the video and I imagine can be measured in Photoshop.
Seems like some disturbance in the aspect ratio. Are there fewer pixels?

Mar 07, 2020 at 12:38 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

The images were all shot in full-raw and are the same resolution.

Mar 07, 2020 at 12:41 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

It did not take me long to find another example of the same phenomenon. Only this one is worse.

Canon advises against silent shutter for shooting fast action, but my subject was barely moving at all here. I'm worried about using the setting at all anymore.

Mar 07, 2020 at 12:50 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

Maybe not a "squishing" effect, but a translation of the entire frame or subject. Were you using an IS lens?

I notice her hair is slightly cropped on the left side of the second frame, perhaps by the exact amount of "squish" you seem to notice on the right side of the frame. However, her hair is not cropped on the first and second frame. Somehow, the subject, the camera, or the image jumped to the right by a small amount on the second frame. Perhaps if there was movement during this jump, this fast motion could also induce some additional "squish".

Just my observation and speculation.

Edit: I notice in the video that you are using the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS. If you had IS turned on, I would look to this as a culprit. The second example you show makes this seem more likely to me, because it looks to me like some kind of optical parallelogramming. I wonder if small, rapid pixel level movements induced by IS are inducing this when recording with silent shutter.

Edited on Mar 07, 2020 at 01:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2020 at 01:51 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

I was using the 100/2.8 L IS and IS was turned on. It could definitely be contributing to this phenomenon.

Mar 07, 2020 at 01:55 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

EB-1 wrote:
Is one of those goofy in-camera settings turned on, such as the distortion?

EBH

Does the EOS-R have electronic IS that would mess with the image?

Mar 07, 2020 at 01:56 PM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

Interesting phenomenon! Sure seems like movement, but since you and the bride were both still, that seems to implicate IS to me. It's the only thing that could have physically moved. Doesn't seem like silent shutter artifacting to me, though I agree it can do weird things sometimes. Maybe the IS happened to jerk at that moment (as seen when you get to the edge of the IS's movement capabilities during video)?

Mar 07, 2020 at 02:02 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

nadroj wrote:
Interesting phenomenon! Sure seems like movement, but since you and the bride were both still, that seems to implicate IS to me. It's the only thing that could have physically moved. Doesn't seem like silent shutter artifacting to me, though I agree it can do weird things sometimes. Maybe the IS happened to jerk at that moment (as seen when you get to the edge of the IS's movement capabilities during video)?

This seems like a plausible suggestion at this point. The IS mechanism activating.. or "jerking" as the sensor was being read-out in silent shutter mode.

Mar 07, 2020 at 02:05 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

This is because of the silent shutter. I’ve seen it happen with all my cameras that had a similar (slow) sensor readout speed when using their silent shutter, including the eos R. Even tiny movements can cause this.
Use the mechanical shutter and you’ll notice that it won’t happen again with your R.

Mar 07, 2020 at 02:31 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

I no longer use the silent shutter with moving subjects, but I had no idea the IS mechanism could cause similar distortion. Seems like a pretty serious drawback of the feature.

Mar 07, 2020 at 02:35 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS R... really weird image distortion with silent shutter

It is obvious that the second frame is slightly shifted to the right of the first frame. This is just the effect of rolling shutter, but you’re shooting in portrait instead of landscape orientation so it’s a squish instead of a skew.

The last time I used silent shutter was at an orchestra, and one of the subjects sat down while I took the photo (landscape orientation) and his head was stretched out about 2x.

If you shifted your camera to the right through the course of the 1/15 of a second it takes to read out the sensor, you will compress or expand the head as you can see in these photos.

Edited to add. Why in the world would this indicate an IS issue? You’re shooting handheld at a human. You moved, the IS can do its best to compensate but it is not going to be able to get you a completely stable image reference for 1/15 of a second. You’re shooting a 100mm lens and while the light gathering time is 1/160, the time in which you can introduce motion and artifacts by you moving the camera is 1/15s.

Mar 07, 2020 at 03:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.