Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              44      
       end

Archive 2020 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

mdvaden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.45 #1 · p.45 #1 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

thedutt wrote:
People asked for the moon , canon delivered (Top End AF, 20fps, IBIS, dual cards, all rounder that excels at wildlife, sports, weddings, portaits at 45MP) and with a free glass of champagne ( 8k video).

When all is boiled down to reality, maybe disappointment is expected for a few, but for the more part you are spot-on correct .. vs. .. say ..a few replies to the contrary.

Here's what came to mind this week ..

---Take the A7R iv. The pixel shift feature is there, but limited and less useful than people anticipated.
---Take the Canon M5's LP-17 battery !! Woah ... now we're talking some real limitations.
---Take the A7S iii ... just 12 piss-ass megapixels.
---How about the A7R iii's screen .. short of a Vulcan mind-meld, it's old tech .. the Sony cripple hammer.

Circle back to the R5. It sure can't do everything. But the camera is a beast with a legion of native and adaptable glass. Is there an 8K issue? Maybe for the 1% of buyers who may really ever shoot, transfer, store and process 8K.

With all the features available in the Canon R5 .. it's more like the pipe dream of a few "GAS" addicts overheated.

DanielPaul wrote:
What? In inflation adjusted dollars the R5 is cheaper than the 5D when it was released. ($3300 in 2005 dollars is $4378 in 2020 dollars.) You could disable all the video features and the R5 is still below the average price Canon would charge for a 5-series camera.

Bravo ...

Excellent retort. The R5 ain't cheap, but in many ways, it's a bargain.

Edited on Aug 12, 2020 at 09:20 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2020 at 09:08 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.45 #2 · p.45 #2 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

I actually plan to shoot 8k, but not more than 2-5 minutes at a time for the next 2-5 years. I just upgraded to a 12 core AMD processor, middle of the line GPU, 32 GB DDR4 RAM and 5 TB NVME hdd setup to do some 8k fun. Even that is not equipped to handle 8k at large volume and 15 minutes is forever for my use case.

If you are shooting professionally, you need more than 1 body at shoots.

mdvaden wrote:
When all is boiled down to reality, maybe disappointment is expected for a few, but for the more part you are spot-on correct .. vs. .. say .. the next reply after yours.

Here's what came to mind this week ..

---Take the A7R iv. The feature is there, but limited and less useful than some people anticipated.
---Take the Canon M5's LP-17 battery !! Woah ... now we're talking some real limitations.
---Take the A7S iii ... just 12 piss-ass megapixels.
---How about the A7R iii's screen .. short of a Vulcan mind-meld, it's old tech .. the Sony cripple hammer.

Circle back to
...Show more

Aug 12, 2020 at 09:16 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.45 #3 · p.45 #3 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

If you price the 5d series it never really followed any inflation based increase. Also with demand down and plenty of competition, the price is high, especially with the limited video options now due to the heating issue. If 8k and 4khq all worked as stated, then the price is fine.

The R6 is the much better value however. You can get the R6 and 5dsr for about the cost of the r5.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:28 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.45 #4 · p.45 #4 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

thedutt wrote:
I actually plan to shoot 8k, but not more than 2-5 minutes at a time for the next 2-5 years. I just upgraded to a 12 core AMD processor, middle of the line GPU, 32 GB DDR4 RAM and 5 TB NVME hdd setup to do some 8k fun. Even that is not equipped to handle 8k at large volume and 15 minutes is forever for my use case.

If you are shooting professionally, you need more than 1 body at shoots.

Dear Aditya,

There is so much noise out there about this camera it was so nice to read a reasoned post on it. Mine is coming from Texas Media early next week, just waiting for a few accessories to arrive. Anyway, well thought out perspective on the subject, well done!

JW

Aug 15, 2020 at 09:54 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.45 #5 · p.45 #5 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

I am not a huge fan of this guys style, but he does present decent tests. This video alone is starting to convince me that maybe I should come back to Canon from MFT.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:03 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.45 #6 · p.45 #6 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

Thanks for posting this! I wonder how the R5 will do against the venerable A9.

galenapass wrote:
I am not a huge fan of this guys style, but he does present decent tests. This video alone is starting to convince me that maybe I should come back to Canon from MFT.

Aug 15, 2020 at 01:46 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.45 #7 · p.45 #7 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

Hi JW,

Terry there runs are really great place, in person experience is great. Precision here today still had 1 more EF-RF adapter, YMMV by now in case you are in the hunt.

Im playing around with mine with dogs & people right now, AF is a major upgrade but the animal eye AF in Servo hit rate can be improved. Enjoy playing with yours.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Dear Aditya,

There is so much noise out there about this camera it was so nice to read a reasoned post on it. Mine is coming from Texas Media early next week, just waiting for a few accessories to arrive. Anyway, well thought out perspective on the subject, well done!

JW

Aug 15, 2020 at 05:44 PM
tsunathanh
• •
p.45 #8 · p.45 #8 · EOS-R5....will it live up to the hype?

Magic *is* a big claim and the R5 has it.

The very good,,, AF, IBIS+IS, high ISO etc. make it so it is two orders of magnitude easier to get a great image. You can't look at a few images and take away the experience of shooting with the camera.

E.g. Of course if you nail a bif image with any capable camera and don't need to crop much, it's going to look great. With the R5 I can step out of my car, point it the camera at some flying birds, and have dozens of keepers in five minutes. Even if I have to crop. With another camera I can get a great image also. The magic of the R5 is how much easier it is to do.

Similar examples with macro shooting. My kids playing in a sprinkler. Etc.

Show me the magic? Where is it?

I see nothing standing out other than 50 1.2 images that are better than what we've had in the past with the old 50L. All the rest is more of the same. You should know this if you have been here for 15 years. Show me why this camera is "magical" for you. Magic is a big claim in my opinion.

Aug 16, 2020 at 01:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.