Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2020 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

I'm trying to get a feel for what to include in proposals and contracts for photographic/video services, and I have been searching online for a while. Several websites have templates to download but I'm always a bit leery about downloading from websites with which I'm not familiar (tried searching for reviews of some sites but couldn't find any, which makes me even more reluctant to try those sites). Obviously, the best thing is to join a group like PPA along with having a lawyer draw up a contract. But, I'm not quite at that point yet and I want to become more informed regarding how to A) judge how much detail I need to include with a local group needing photos, and B) see if I'm ready to make the leap to doing more than donating my work for local non-profits. I've read and heard plenty of horror stories about people doing work without a contract and getting burned, and I want to preclude any issues with this local group.

I do have an LLC already with a different type of business, so I have a local lawyer with whom I work. Not sure he has any experience with photography.....

Any words of wisdom and/or topics that helped you get your start are also appreciated.

Feb 03, 2020 at 09:52 AM
tcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

Years ago, I was a member of APA and adapted elements of their documents. I find that Rob Haggart has a wealth of information on his blog and Wonderful Machine posts there from time to time.

Feb 03, 2020 at 11:11 AM
EstherSP
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

The main thing to keep in mind with contracts is that ultimately they are only as good as you and your clients word, as most do not have the resources to pursue legal recourse (with lawyers eating up money). If you don't trust the organization or your individual contact, then a lot of times it's better to just walk away from the job.

That said, a few resources that are always super helpful are www.aphotoeditor.com, and ASMP and PPA both have some decent templates. One approach I like to take with contracts is to have a base contract that doesn't change much from engagement to engagement. Should include legalese identifying you as the photographer, client as client, payment details, and basic usage (typically just stating web usage for your base contract is fine), copyright, indemnification, release of liability.

I find that 4 out of 5 situations, that base contract is sufficient for things like headshots, family portraits, weddings, and most non-commercial usage. Then for the instances where you need print usage language, you add bullets or sub-bullets under the existing usage section, etc.

You should also be putting just as much rigor into your estimating process, as I think that's the area where most photographers screw up as they're learning (I certainly did). What makes it harder is understanding the differences between estimating and building contracts for everyone from private individuals, to non-profits, to small businesses, to larger regional businesses, to enterprise, government, etc.

Hope that helps!

Feb 03, 2020 at 01:02 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

The ASMP publication "Professional Business Practices for Photographers" used to be great, but I don't know if it's been updated in the last 10 or 12 years, since I purchased my copy.

Feb 03, 2020 at 04:59 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

cwebster wrote:
The ASMP publication "Professional Business Practices for Photographers" used to be great, but I don't know if it's been updated in the last 10 or 12 years, since I purchased my copy.

I see a Nov. 2017 edition on amazon.

Feb 03, 2020 at 06:05 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

I have downloaded documents or sample agreements from the PPA and then modified them. The PPA provides insurance that covers legal costs should a client sue you for any reason.

Where many people fail is in not focusing on the actual work product that will be provided and be very specific as to what is going to be delivered to a client.

If it is a video then specify the format and resolution and also whether you will be providing editing as well. Specify the duration and exactly how it will be edited and specify the cost for each change requested by the client.

If you agree to video an event for example then specify the hours of coverage and the costs for any extended coverage and that this requires approval from a designated agent for the client.

A hold harmless section that covers events beyond your control (actions by hotel personnel or guests or third parties like a DJ) or the result of actions by client is also very important to
cover in detail in the contract / agreement.

A statement that limits your liability to the amount of the contract is essential. Wedding videographers have been sued for the entire cost of the wedding by unhappy brides and grooms.

Join the PPA and you will be glad that you did.

Feb 24, 2020 at 04:38 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

I'll second the PPA recommendation. The benefits also include discussion threads on various topics, free training videos, webcasts, a yearly conference, savings on equipment and services, etc.

PPA has traditionally been focused on wedding and portrait photography, but that is changing to include more commercial photography. You might also look at ASMP as another possibility.

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:14 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

The PPA provides instruction and certification as a Certified Photographer for example and that helps to separate you from the hobbyists who want to earn money for new gear.

https://www.ppa.com/benefits/education/certification

Don't overlook a solid website on which you can provide potential clients with relevant examples of your work with items similar to what they want to promote. Obviously a different skillset to photograph automobiles than jewelry or food.

Feb 25, 2020 at 04:10 PM
jackspaul

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

DSLRs may be losing ground to smaller, lighter mirrorless cameras, but they still have some benefits. The core feature is the optical viewfinder, which uses a mirror to let you see directly through the lens (see our DSLR explainer for more information).

https://techypes.com/best-dslr-stabilizers-gimbals/

They also get much better battery life — something at which the D780, in particular, excels.

Mar 30, 2020 at 11:45 AM
CarolMoors

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

Hello, crteach! It is really important to get a proper contract. Even if this is a regular client, you need to set the conditions on paper. I'm sure that you don't need any special lawyer to work with photography, the thing that you really need right now is a common understanding of how you can set the business more effectively, for this purpose you can search for a business leading courses like https://www.prendo.com/leadership-challenges/leading-complex-projects to improve your leading and business skills.

Edited on May 13, 2022 at 06:00 AM · View previous versions

May 05, 2022 at 09:33 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

LegalZoom has a photography services contract builder.

May 05, 2022 at 10:20 AM
FlyingTriangle

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sources for contracts and general advice for business?

It's great that you want to protect yourself and your work with proper contracts. No one's work should be for free, but as a beginner, you could consider offering lower prices rather than giving it away completely. To determine what to include in your proposals and contracts, discuss your terms and expectations with potential clients. There are plenty of online platforms with sample contracts that can be a good starting point. Contacting local photographers or videographers can be invaluable for advice and guidance.
I started my own rental business three years ago, and the business owner of this top-rated limo service from Denver to Copper Mountain helped me navigate the ins and outs of client management, loyalty-building, and handling stressful situations effectively. As general advice, try to connect with people from your industry as I did. This kind of network will help you to avoid some obstacles and also to learn from their experience.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.