Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Bowens Mount Gel Holder Ideas?

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bowens Mount Gel Holder Ideas?

Every gel holder I've been able to find for Bowens mount is some specially shaped or magnetic or otherwise fairly proprietary thing where I have to buy the gels from the same people who make the mount and they only have like 5 basic colors. And the other option is futzing with taping them in front of the light and hoping they don't rip, get lost, get soiled, or burn down your studio. Nope.

PCB has a fantastic solution to this with a drop-in tray, but of course in Balcar mount only. https://www.paulcbuff.com/litemod-unit-mainframe . This allows me to buy whatever gels I want from the zillions of options Lee Filters have.

Anyone seen anything similar in Bowens? Or an idea for how I could adapt Balcar to Bowens somehow?

Dec 21, 2019 at 06:36 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bowens Mount Gel Holder Ideas?

FWIW, you don’t need a mount to attach gels to a strobe reflector. There are lots of clip, clamp methods that have been used for decades with success. Any “system” hard Point has its own challenges if you have a variety of reflectors you want to gel such as 7”, 11”, 16” etc.

The one method that can be less that ideal is gaffer tape since heat can melt the adhesive and release the gel, it also makes a mess on the reflector.

Dec 21, 2019 at 07:20 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bowens Mount Gel Holder Ideas?

Lee,

Since you have a studio, just use your grip gear. I have a gel holder for my fancy fixtures but use it separately with a clamp or the bare knuckle. Then, a $30 Rosco swatchbook gives me every color invented by Man.

No need to beg the lighting OEM on your knees to provide a proprietary, expensive adapter to attach a gel (or any modifier) to their light. Depending on the setup, such an adapter may not even exist. No problem!

Dec 21, 2019 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.