Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2019 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stalderm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Ok, we have some good news.

As said, Sertronics have been able to reproduce the problem (IS jumps with this combination). They have reached out to Canon DE (Germany), they could reproduce it, and they them self have reached out to Canon Japan. They also managed to reproduce it (as the technician of Sertronics told me) and they are working on a solution. When and if a solution will be available is not known in this stage and also how a possible solution may look like is not known.
I am really thankfully, that the listened and took their time to investigate this phenomenon.
Lets hope, that we will receive a firmware update for either the EOS R or the 400 DO II lens, or at least, that the phenomenon will not occur on future bodies like the EOS R5.

Feb 21, 2020 at 03:58 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stalderm wrote:
Ok, we have some good news.

As said, Sertronics have been able to reproduce the problem (IS jumps with this combination). They have reached out to Canon DE (Germany), they could reproduce it, and they them self have reached out to Canon Japan. They also managed to reproduce it (as the technician of Sertronics told me) and they are working on a solution. When and if a solution will be available is not known in this stage and also how a possible solution may look like is not known.
I am really thankfully, that the listened and took their time to
...Show more

Great effort on your part! Canon may take the issue seriously, as they still have only the EF lenses when it comes to 400, 500 and 600mm primes. If these do not adapt 100% to the EOS-R5, that will undermine the seamless transition, although I still wonder how incidental our issue with the 400DOII and EOS-R was, and of course it is not at all sure if the EOS-R5 is meant to (also) act as a wildlife or sports camera.
Did you get a replacement lens or body, and did these also have the issue?

Feb 21, 2020 at 04:55 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak wrote:
, and of course it is not at all sure if the EOS-R5 is meant to (also) act as a wildlife or sports camera.

Direct quote from the R5 press release:

The new sensor will enable enhanced features such as high-speed continuous shooting up to approximately 20 frames-per-second (FPS) when using the silent shutter and up to approximately 12 FPS when using the mechanical shutter Ė a feature that professional sports and wildlife photographers will find to be extremely impactful on their ability to capture fast-moving subjects.

So they are thinking about us🤔

Feb 21, 2020 at 05:32 PM
stalderm

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

No, I did not get any replacements. First they had a look and according to the CPS rules you are entitled to a replacement camera/lens after 2 or 3 days (if available). Because afterwards I went into the holiday I told them, it would be nice to have a replacement body after my holiday. But apparently they don't have enough loaners of RF bodies....So the plan was, that they sent me one that they should have received back this monday, which then did not happened. As they have now finalized their analysis, they sent me back my own camera yesterday. I could have loaners with an EF mount, or a lens replacements, but the only thing I missed was a RF mount body.

Feb 22, 2020 at 01:52 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:

The new sensor will enable enhanced features such as high-speed continuous shooting up to approximately 20 frames-per-second (FPS) when using the silent shutter and up to approximately 12 FPS when using the mechanical shutter Ė a feature that professional sports and wildlife photographers will find to be extremely impactful on their ability to capture fast-moving subjects.

I hope they fix that 1 second EVF wake up lag as well. I have missed quite a few shots due to it.

Feb 22, 2020 at 03:36 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

robert614 wrote:
I purchased an EOS R shortly after it was released. I too, was a little disconcerted to find out the image stabilization is always on when I adapted my EF lenses. Especially my 400mm DO II. Where I felt like it was unnecessary wear and tear on the lens IS.

It was one of the reasons I returned the EOS R

Iím sad to hear this is still the case. I was looking forward to Canonís new offerings this year and was seriously considering picking up an R5 or R6. As I donít have any native RF currently. But I still have
...Show more

This seems to be one of those should you use a protective filter or not subjects. Over at POTN a group didn't think it would cause where and it not being a completely seamless operation is not an issue. The other group including myself weren't too thrilled that the adapted EF lenses didn't shut down after releasing the shutter/BBF.

You can press the playback to menu to shut it down but not for an RF lens. It has to cycle out based on the energy savings settings. Or you shut the power off.

I really did not have a chance to do some real BIF since I purchased it last fall. I have been messing around with that quite a bit the last few weeks. My bigger concern is the wake up EVF lag which is a killer for me. I'm getting them and having fun but for birding and sports it is a drawback. I'm going to try to shoot this today and I'll see how to goes.

http://voltaaoalgarve.com/en/home-2/

Feb 22, 2020 at 03:48 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:

And after the R5 the crop high end body?!

Feb 23, 2020 at 04:53 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak wrote:
And after the R5 the crop high end body?!

There is still a rumor out there of an R7....but it will really complicate Canon's lineup if they continue to run with the M series for APSC and then make a single R series APS-C.

However, from my perspective, I think making a single R7 series without any APS-C lenses makes sense to those that need it. Sure it could confuse more general consumers but they probably won't be looking at that calibre of body anyways. I've never bought specialized APS-C lenses for my crop bodies other than way back on my very first Rebel DSLR when I didn't know any better. Everyone buying an "R7" (7D caliber camera) would be throwing full frame glass (either RF or EF) on it always to shoot birds and wildlife and sports.

So I'd love to see one made. CRs has mumblings still for 2021. On the other hand, if the R5 at 45MPs lives up to the AF hype then it probably doesn't matter and I'd just buy an R5 for the versatility anyways, sort of like how I migrated to using my D850 more than my D500.

Feb 23, 2020 at 08:30 AM
Hillrg`
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:

I always get a kick out of these PR releases. I hope "extremely impactful" is a good thing.

Feb 23, 2020 at 09:52 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I never considered FF for birding/wildlife due to the need for reach and the size/weight of FF bodies, as well as the much higher price while cropping away so much of the larger sensor area. But I agree that with the EOS-R the body size/weight disadvantage as well as the reach disadvantage (if truly 45mp) are gone, which leaves only the price disadvantage, and then the benefit of the larger sensor area when needing to "zoom out" with a long prime focal length can make it worth the price premium. After all, simply switching from crop to ff mode allows easily zooming out when neccessary. No need to remove tc's etc..

arbitrage wrote:
There is still a rumor out there of an R7....but it will really complicate Canon's lineup if they continue to run with the M series for APSC and then make a single R series APS-C.

However, from my perspective, I think making a single R7 series without any APS-C lenses makes sense to those that need it. Sure it could confuse more general consumers but they probably won't be looking at that calibre of body anyways. I've never bought specialized APS-C lenses for my crop bodies other than way back on my very first Rebel DSLR when I didn't know any
...Show more

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:06 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I used a 400DO with the 1.4x TC on my A7R4 yesterday for about 1800 frames and didn't see any problems whatsoever. That would indicate that the problem may be with the camera, I didn't try it out on my R.

I also noticed that the Sony turns off the IS like a normal EF camera would...

Now back to the more recent content of the thread.

Feb 24, 2020 at 06:22 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stanj wrote:
I used a 400DO with the 1.4x TC on my A7R4 yesterday for about 1800 frames and didn't see any problems whatsoever. That would indicate that the problem may be with the camera, I didn't try it out on my R.

I also noticed that the Sony turns off the IS like a normal EF camera would...

Now back to the more recent content of the thread.

I use the 400DOII on the Sony A7RII without any issues, as well as on the 7DII without any issues. It is definitely not the lens itself, but the interaction with the EOS-R.

Feb 25, 2020 at 06:03 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak wrote:
Great effort on your part! Canon may take the issue seriously, as they still have only the EF lenses when it comes to 400, 500 and 600mm primes. If these do not adapt 100% to the EOS-R5, that will undermine the seamless transition, although I still wonder how incidental our issue with the 400DOII and EOS-R was, and of course it is not at all sure if the EOS-R5 is meant to (also) act as a wildlife or sports camera.
Did you get a replacement lens or body, and did these also have the issue?

All I know is I will be thankful to everyone who beta tests the R5 for the first year. It may be the second generation R, but it's going to be first generation R IBIS Ė†add to that the firmware controlling it all has to span two mount protocols and lens types and work seamlessly with IS.

I won't be surprised if IBIS on the R5 is an either-or proposition for EF lenses Ė either you choose IBIS or IS but you don't get both working in tandem.

Feb 25, 2020 at 02:49 PM
stalderm

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

My 400 DO II also works perfectly on my 1D X II. Because my EOS R works well with my other tele lenses I guess it is the combination.

I upgraded my EOS R, which I will sell in about one week for the R5, to firmware 1.7 and seems that perhaps it is better. I tried it around 10 times. Turning the camera off, then on with the 1.4x III and the 400 DO II and look for jumps in the IS operations. At least twice I would say that I say the picture jumping around, but back in February with firmware 1.6 I remembered more a 50:50 or at least a 30:70 chance that the problem occurred. But that could also be coincidence.

Canon does not note about that problem in the 1.7 firmware description.

Finger crossed, that the new R5/R6 will not have these problems!

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:42 AM
Khatgs

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Hi everyone,

I just join this topic.

I have exactly the same problem with my 400 DO II with a EOS R, 5DIV and also with a 6D.

Here is 2 videos : https://wetransfer.com/downloads/0fd1ed7923c8389a3d2daf910b58a18420200906174629/debc63

I got lucky, first i tough it was my stab so i send it to canon France and by chance they send me another 400 DO II.. Because this one had exactly the same problem too so i ask Canon to stop the repair immediately! They investigate and could reproduce the issue, after that, they ask Canon Germany to know more about this phenomen. Canon Germany said that a Firmware will be release at the end of September or early October..

We can hope that it will fix that

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:48 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

This is happening to both my R and my R5 (1.1.1). I got used to it; it's frustrating and not consistent (doesn't happen all the time, every time) but it does happen for sure. Never during a burst, only when metering / AF is engaged but not shooting.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:56 PM
stalderm

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

It is also happening on my R5 (I sold my R in the meantime), although probably not a prominent as on the R. Some days ago I reached out the CPS Switzerland to ask about the state (they told me back in February that they would do something) and to tell them, that the problem still exist on the EOS R5.

I really like my 400 DO II, but it's functionality seem limited at the time.

Khatgs, do you know if the firmware update will be for the cameras or the lens?

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:20 AM
Khatgs

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

@Stalderm

CPS Canon told me for the Lens.. and it has to be because i have the issue with a 5DIV & 6D too

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:29 AM
Grampy

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I am also having a serious problem with very soft images using the EOS R and the 400 F4 DO V2. I cannot get a crisp image. I don't know if its a lens issue or the fact that I am using the EF lens with the $99 Canon adapter. I talked to Canon and sent them images. I tried their suggestions of cleaning the contacts, switching modes, manual focus etc. to no avail, so I think it must be the lens. There is no micro adjustment with mirrorless cameras I'm told. Any suggestions. I'm going to ask a friend to try the lens on the 5D4 and see if its sharp or not, then I guess I will know. Any suggestions, I planned on using with the R5, when I get it.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:09 PM
Grampy

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I am also having a serious problem with very soft images using the EOS R and the 400 F4 DO V2. I cannot get a crisp image. I don't know if its a lens issue or the fact that I am using the EF lens with the $99 Canon adapter. I talked to Canon and sent them images. I tried their suggestions of cleaning the contacts, switching modes, manual focus etc. to no avail, so I think it must be the lens. There is no micro adjustment with mirrorless cameras I'm told. Any suggestions. I'm going to ask a friend to try the lens on the 5D4 and see if its sharp or not, then I guess I will know. Any suggestions, I planned on using with the R5, when I get it.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:15 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.