Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2019 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Zenon Char wrote:
Good to rule out the lens. That is less fun to deal with shipping wise, etc. I guess you decided not to try another R. To whom at Canon did you mention about about the IS running continuously?

Actually, the manager at my camera store did not encourage trying out another R, but based on his experience with IS problems on first generation mirrorless cameras with adapters, said it would be better to wait for a next generation EOS-R, given the usual time frame for firmware fixes. I read the rumors of an EOS-RmkII coming, so I decided to just return the EOS-R, instead of running the risk that my particular 400DOII will not play nice with the current EOS-R. He also mentioned that a 5DV is likely due for this summer, so if the R-series will eventually not work out, that may be an option.

b.t.w. Stalderm added his experiences to my support case at Canon, so Canon now has enough info to work on this issue. Hope they will fix it for the next EOS-R, because I really liked the combo! The auto focus at f8 was superb.

Dec 23, 2019 at 03:55 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak wrote:
Rob,
I seem to have stumbled into nasty territory with this. It practically makes the combo useless, unless you accept fulltime fiddling with the IS on/off button all the time, which is out of the question for me.
If this is not resolved, I see a dead end nearing for me with Canon gear unfortunately. The 7DII is ok. but no 7DIII in sight, and the "R" road cut off...

Sounds like you made the right choice with returning the R. I am still interested in testing the gear I have. My wife's main lens is the 400mm DO II, so like you if that is problematic then that would be a no go for her too. Either way I will post back for anyone else going forward. It is too bad because the DO II is a fun lens. I regretted selling mine and grabbed another one. Hopefully the future Canon cameras will work for you.

Happy Holidays,
Rob

Dec 23, 2019 at 04:15 PM
stalderm

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Would be interesting to hear from you, Rob, whether the 400mm DO II of your wife work as excepted or not.
Interestingly it seems that the combination works for Zenon Char.
My EOS R is an early one, more or less preordered in late 2018. My 400 DO II is from early 2018.

Dec 23, 2019 at 04:27 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stalderm wrote:
Would be interesting to hear from you, Rob, whether the 400mm DO II of your wife work as excepted or not.
Interestingly it seems that the combination works for Zenon Char.
My EOS R is an early one, more or less preordered in late 2018. My 400 DO II is from early 2018.

My 400DOII is from early 2019, purchase date. Sometimes lenses get a firmware update also. I did not see any firmware update for the 400DOII since its release. Since the EOS-R is apparently working perfectly fine with other EF lenses, perhaps the 400DOII will need a firmware fix to solve the IS issues (the affected copies that is)? I have seen some recent Canon lens firmware issues and updates to fix them come by lately.

Dec 23, 2019 at 04:37 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

This is what I found.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1627465/0?year=current#lastmessage

Dec 26, 2019 at 07:32 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I tried this combo briefly a couple days ago and didnít notice any issues however I did not follow all of the conditions to the T. Hopefully I can check more in the next couple days.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:31 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I did get a chance to try one of the new R's with the DO II. It came with the old firmware which I upgraded before any use. Both refurb units came with the old firmware. I still need to test Amy's R but so far so good, I am not having any issues using the DO II. The shot below is with the 1.4x. I should be able to try Amy's this weekend.

Red Squirrel by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Dec 28, 2019 at 07:21 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Good to hear yours work fine!
You would know if they were affected, not something easily missed. I have accepted it as one of these inexplicable issues that have no logical explanation, and where random lenses or cameras are affected. I have resorted to the 7DII and will be taking another route by saving up for the 500mmf4 II. I started out birding with a 700mm f5.6 combo and have somehow missed the combination of focal length and aperture ever since. As someone who cycles and hykes, I wanted to get away from the size and weight of a 500mm prime, but that was mainly bacause I had no choice. With the 400DOII, I can always take a mental and physical break from 700mm/f5.6... Mirrorless will wait...

RobAmy wrote:
I did get a chance to try one of the new R's with the DO II. It came with the old firmware which I upgraded before any use. Both refurb units came with the old firmware. I still need to test Amy's R but so far so good, I am not having any issues using the DO II. The shot below is with the 1.4x. I should be able to try Amy's this weekend.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49286285023_332bec49ff_h.jpgRed Squirrel by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:27 AM
stalderm

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Thank you for testing Rob. Really strange that only some combinations seems to be affected. Nice photo by the way!
If we don't hear something from Canon by end of January I could also bring in my combination to the CPS service, as I'm a CPS member. We will see.

Dec 29, 2019 at 04:09 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1627465/0#15091582

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I received a response from Canon today on this issue, and have to say, that it is a bit of a mess. They are unable to reproduce the issue, but go on to say that they have tried it with several "RP" bodies and the 400DOII, whilst the RP was never mentioned once by me. Also, they state that the IS "...keeps on working after the camera goes into standby, and also when shutting the camera off and on again..." but this does not refer in any way to the problem of the IS jumping perpetually in the viewfinder that I was having.
They end the email by advising me to do a reset, which I told them I had already done and did not solve things, and also to not let others post a reaction to my support case. Pardon me, but I thought stalderm had very valuable complementary input.

I'll leave it to who's reading this to determine the quality of Canon support....

Dec 30, 2019 at 08:47 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

ChrisMak wrote:
I received a response from Canon today on this issue, and have to say, that it is a bit of a mess. They are unable to reproduce the issue, but go on to say that they have tried it with several "RP" bodies and the 400DOII, whilst the RP was never mentioned once by me. Also, they state that the IS "...keeps on working after the camera goes into standby, and also when shutting the camera off and on again..." but this does not refer in any way to the problem of the IS jumping perpetually in the viewfinder that
...Show more

This is typical and completely in line with my experience with the EF 600III. At first they denied there is a problem and they were ''not able to reproduce'' the issue. You need to arm yourself with a lot of patience and be insistent. It may take months until they will recognize the problem.

Dec 30, 2019 at 10:02 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I returned the EOS-R myself, mainly because of the nature of the problem, and more or less foreseeing this type of reaction, because it is probably a firmware issue that only affects limited cameras/lenses.

I do hope this gets fixed in future R models though!

Lan11 wrote:
Intermittent problems are difficult. If you deal with a good camera store you could ask the manager to get involved. I had a problem in the past and this is how it was resolved. One more reason to buy locally. Good luck.

Dec 30, 2019 at 10:07 AM
stalderm

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I phoned yesterday with sertronics, the company which is the Canon repair center in Switzerland. I will, in the near future, bring them my EOS R and 400 DO II for further investigations. I think if they can reproduce the behavior and report it back to Canon, that they might believe it more...

Jan 04, 2020 at 05:34 AM
stalderm

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Today I finally managed to bring in the EOS R, the adapter, the teleconverter and the 400 DO II to sertronics. I was quite impressed, as a technician took some time to reproduce the behavior together with me. Luckily the behavior was visible at least once to the technician. We tested also really, really quick with an another EOS R from sertronics which seems to work fine. Another technician also get into and it seems, that they believe me. So I left all my stuff there and hopefully we got some more insights in a few day!

Feb 06, 2020 at 04:01 PM
robert614
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I purchased an EOS R shortly after it was released. I too, was a little disconcerted to find out the image stabilization is always on when I adapted my EF lenses. Especially my 400mm DO II. Where I felt like it was unnecessary wear and tear on the lens IS.

It was one of the reasons I returned the EOS R

Iím sad to hear this is still the case. I was looking forward to Canonís new offerings this year and was seriously considering picking up an R5 or R6. As I donít have any native RF currently. But I still have a few EF lenses. The 400mm DO II one of them. I would most likely start out adapting my EF lenses on any new RF body I purchased.

I am aware of setting the camera to sleep after 15 seconds. But thatís not ideal IMO.

I know the IS on the RF lenses is always on as well. But I wish Canon would make adapted EF lenses behave like they do on DSLRís. Iím not sure if this is a choice. Or technically necessary.

Anyways, Sorry I donít have a solution for you. I just hope Canon changes this behavior in future bodies.

Feb 07, 2020 at 10:12 PM
stalderm

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

When I wrote about the behavior I was referencing to the behavior ChriMak described when he started this thread. That is not that the IS is always on, but that the combination of EOS R, converter and 400 DO II hat some strange vertical jumps while using the IS. This is in contrast as for example using the exact same converter and 400 DO II lens with another camera like the 1DX II. The vertical jitter, jumps is the reason I brought in my combination to the canon service center in Switzerland (Sertronics).

Feb 09, 2020 at 11:40 AM
stalderm

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I quick update. Sertronics is in touch with Canon Germany to further investigate the strange jumps of the IS. At least, they were able to reproduce them in their lab. Because it take some time to investigate, I should receive a replacement EOS R next week.

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:14 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Thanks for the update.
I really hope they get this fixed properly, because the coming EOS-R5 looks very interesting for use with the 400DOII

stalderm wrote:
I quick update. Sertronics is in touch with Canon Germany to further investigate the strange jumps of the IS. At least, they were able to reproduce them in their lab. Because it take some time to investigate, I should receive a replacement EOS R next week.

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:17 PM
stalderm

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Uh yes, finally IBIS on a Canon Body. A no brainer for me, especially because I love RF lenses and the AF accuracy of the Dual Pixel AF.
For me it's more important that they take their time and probably find the reasons for the IS jumps. It does not bother me, if that takes 1 or 4 weeks. Ok, after 2 month they should probably also provide me with a loaner 400 DO II lens...

Feb 13, 2020 at 01:19 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.