New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

stan2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

I shot Canon cameras for years, most recently a 7D I bought used. I've more or less switched to Oly now for the past 4-5 years and really like my PEN-F and EM1.2. I still have a bunch of Canon L lenses tho and have felt like I was missing out having never owned a full frame camera. I'm sure there are a few of you out there who've jumped ship from Canon to Oly too. If anyone here has gone from a 5Diii to EM1.2, what have been your impressions? I'm thinking about picking up a used 5Diii just for fun. Obviously, it's a lot bigger, but how about image quality in the real world? I shoot mostly landscape and wildlife, birds etc, but family stuff and travel. I wouldn't use the Canon for travel, but just for walking around to the local scenery, birds and all, what do you think? I can re-sell it for what it'll cost me, so it's 'free', basically. Should I bother? Many people swear by full frame, of course, and that's what's attracting me.

I should add: I'm definitely not leaving my Oly gear for it. The Canon would be an occasional use item, mostly for landscapes or portraits probably. The one I'm considering is mint. 5000 actuations

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:59 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-versus-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II___795_977_1136

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/canon-5d-mark-iii-vs-olympus-e-m1-ii

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

I switched to m43 last year after years with Canon, and Leica M and R before that. I currently shoot 90% of the time with the Oly kit, and I am currently only using my 5DIV and zooms for basketball. I am dying to sell off the rest of my Canon kit, but realize that there are occasions when I cannot shoot at 16000 ISO and realistically get a good shot with m43 like I can with 5DIV, but for a lot of time it is not as far apart as you might think. I find, for example, that the 75mm Oly is a good basketball lens. If you do not have any really low light requirements, I don't think you are missing much. If shallow depth of field is your thing then you are indeed better off with FF, but this is something that in my opinion is largely an obsession of people who frequent FM. You can get somewhere there with fast f1.2 and f1.4 (or even 0.95) optics in m43. So I don't think that "wanting portraits" requires FF at all. You just need the right kit. Most people swear by FF because that is what they have had since time immemorial and they assume that everything is better with it, but in reality I regard this view as rather outdated.

If you must have very high resolution landscapes then currently you are limited to 20MP for m43. This will increase of course soon, and you have to ask yourself how important this is anyway. Probably not at all if you are not printing large prints (most don't). If you enjoy pixel peeping and comparing images made with different cameras then you might want it so you can show how you can see more leaves with this system compared to that one. This can be important, but not for me.

So my view is you are not missing much with FF, but one thing in their favor is the huge availabiity of legacy lenses. Makes investigating it not very expensive (particularly if you pick secondhand manual focus lenses).

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:52 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

Robin Smith wrote:
I switched to m43 last year after years with Canon, and Leica M and R before that. I currently shoot 90% of the time with the Oly kit, and I am currently only using my 5DIV and zooms for basketball. I am dying to sell off the rest of my Canon kit, but realize that there are occasions when I cannot shoot at 16000 ISO and realistically get a good shot with m43 like I can with 5DIV, but for a lot of time it is not as far apart as you might think. I find, for example, that
...Show more

You have those hi res files that are 80 mp. Perfect for high resolution landscape work.

Dec 16, 2019 at 04:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

Since you have Canon lenses and if the 5Diii is a good buy that you can afford, go for it.

If you later find it not worth owning then sell it. Once you have it you can do side-by-side comparison shots of the same subject to see if YOU think the FF images are that much better.

Dec 16, 2019 at 05:56 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

The depreciation on Canon gear is much higher today than it's ever been ... thanks or no thanks to the Nikon PF lenses and the Sony A series cameras and great long lenses. A lot of Canon shooters are migrating to Sony - more so than Nikon shooters. The wildlife shooters are lured by the A9 and 200-600 lens, and the landscape shooters are lured by the 61MP A7R IV and amazing glass from the Sony GM series, Zeiss, and Sigma Art series lenses.

Imagemaster wrote:
Since you have Canon lenses and if the 5Diii is a good buy that you can afford, go for it.

If you later find it not worth owning then sell it. Once you have it you can do side-by-side comparison shots of the same subject to see if YOU think the FF images are that much better.

Dec 16, 2019 at 06:13 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

Why not just rent? You will get all kinds of opinions here, but isn't yours the deciding factor? It is so easy to rent from someplace like lensrentals.com. Every time I get the "bug" to try something different I spend a little money and rent, and many times I find that actually using the equipment that I THINK will lead to better results or more fun etc....is not that way in reality. Money well spent, IMO.

To quote Star Trek: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Go rent...Spock is not often wrong.

Dec 16, 2019 at 09:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

I am not one who is partial to renting. I would rather buy a used copy ... and if I decide to sell it afterwards I should be able (in theory) to sell it for the price I paid for it, so my only loss is the shipping cost and PayPal fee - and if I manage to sell in on Craigslist I would save those charges.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:05 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

galenapass wrote:
Why not just rent? You will get all kinds of opinions here, but isn't yours the deciding factor? It is so easy to rent from someplace like lensrentals.com.

Depends. Where I live, it is neither convenient, nor inexpensive. It is easier to buy either used or new then sell if you are not happy with it. Any loss I take in selling a camera is less than the cost of renting, and the longer I rent that camera the more expensive it is than buying and selling.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:34 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

I got same setup - m43 cameras - as yours, and they are add-ons; so can't really help with the question, but can say that I have no intentions of stop using my canon FF. They are different tools, and in the end do the same: take pictures while provide some enjoyment and challenge at same time.
If you still have a lot of Canon glass, then why not? or maybe consider a mirroless with adapter?

Dec 17, 2019 at 02:13 PM
stan2
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

thanks for all the suggestions on this. The 5Diii I was thinking of disappeared off Craigslist within the couple hours I was procrastinating buying it. Oh well; there'll be more. I do have a fair amt of Canon glass, so unless or until I sell it, the incentive will be there, along with the used FFs. Seems to me that the 5Diii is somewhat of a sweet spot in my price range. Significantly better than D2 and significantly cheaper than D4.

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:45 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · here's a backwards question... Canon 5Diii vs my Oly's

My old 5D mark 1 (only 12 mp) beat my Oly EM1 image quality wise, particularly for landscape work. I expect the 5D III would win easily against the EM1 II, with the caveat that I haven't tried the Oly hi res mode. Of course whether it matters depends on how large you want to print or crop. There is not much difference until printing larger than 13x19 in my experience.

Jan 15, 2020 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.