Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              78      
79
       80       81       end
  

Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

  
 
Ludvig83
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #1 · p.79 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Thank you as always Fred for being involved. I was one "let me sleep on it" moment away from purchasing this lens but I saw your comment about the performance of it on the A7R4.


Nov 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #2 · p.79 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Ludvig83 wrote:
Thank you as always Fred for being involved. I was one "let me sleep on it" moment away from purchasing this lens but I saw your comment about the performance of it on the A7R4.


For the A7R IV, I advise getting the E-mount version. It's outstanding!



Nov 18, 2021 at 02:10 PM
Mister Chebak
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #3 · p.79 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


C1 fixed the error with the indication of the lens.





Dec 19, 2021 at 11:55 PM
AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #4 · p.79 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Canon M6 mk2 with the remarkable Voigtländer 50 mm / 1:2,0 APO-Lanthar aspherical VM - at f/4.5

























What a marvel the APO-Lanthar 50 VM is.



Dec 21, 2021 at 05:14 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #5 · p.79 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


AndereObjektiv wrote:
Canon M6 mk2 with the remarkable Voigtländer 50 mm / 1:2,0 APO-Lanthar aspherical VM - at f/4.5

What a marvel the APO-Lanthar 50 VM is.


Do you see any signs of sensor related image quality degradation at wider apertures on this sensor? It does look great at f/4.5!



Dec 24, 2021 at 12:03 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #6 · p.79 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


The EOS M6 Mk II is a (excellent!) APS-C camera with 1.6X crop. I do not expect any border issue related to sensor stack thickness.


Dec 24, 2021 at 08:35 AM
AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #7 · p.79 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


rscheffler wrote:
Do you see any signs of sensor related image quality degradation at wider apertures on this sensor? It does look great at f/4.5!


I had not yet shot any images with this lens at any aperture other than f/4.5, so here are some wide open at f/2:




































All shot in CR3 AdobeRGB colorspace raw, converted to 90% 2160 height sRGB jpeg in Capture One Pro 21 with no adjustments. ( Right click and open image in new tab for direct full size image ) I'd say any image quality loss at edges follows the MTF curve of the lens quite well and I can detect no microlens ray angle fringing on the Apo-Lanthar 50. As you can see there is purple/green fringing on the out of focus branches, but that is known in this lens and rather well controlled for the price.

The 90mm f/2 Summicron-M III was similarly flawless on the EOS M6 mk2 sensor. With the 24mm ASPH Elmar-M there is a slight loss of detail on the corners and fringing on the edges.

As Ripolini has said the EOS M6 mk2 is an excellent camera. I'm delighted with the color rendition, and the dynamic range approaches many full frame sensors. Coupled with the diminutive size and the unmatched spatial resolution the EOS M6 mk2 is simply one of my best cameras period.

Edited on Dec 24, 2021 at 03:18 PM · View previous versions



Dec 24, 2021 at 03:03 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #8 · p.79 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


AndereObjektiv wrote:
I had not yet shot any images with this lens at any aperture other than f/4.5, so here are some wide open at f/2:

https://i.imgur.com/GS4iUab.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hmdY4ll.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x8eBRAV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p8fqDVa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dFsSPVy.jpg


All shot in CR3 AdobeRGB colorspace raw, converted to 90% 2160 height sRGB jpeg in Capture One Pro 21 with no adjustments. ( Right click and open in new tab for direct full size image ) I'd say any image quality loss at edges follows the MTF curve of the lens quite well and can detect no microlens ray angle fringing on the Apo-Lanthar 50. As you can see there is purple/green fringing on the out of
...Show more

The dynamic range range is a stop and half worse than the better FF cameras at base ISO and it is about a stop worse at all higher ISOs, so one should not think that it approaches FF cameras for dynamic range:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%20M6%20Mark%20II,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3



Dec 24, 2021 at 03:16 PM
AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #9 · p.79 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Steve Spencer wrote:
The dynamic range range is a stop and half worse than the better FF cameras at base ISO and it is about a stop worse at all higher ISOs, so one should not think that it approaches FF cameras for dynamic range:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%20M6%20Mark%20II,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3


I said many not every. keep clicking at photons to photos you will see the ones that are very close, hence "approaches".



Dec 24, 2021 at 03:20 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #10 · p.79 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


AndereObjektiv wrote:
I said many not every. keep clicking at photons to photos you will see the ones that are very close, hence "approaches".


Yeah, ones based on old technology will be close, but that is always true. As technology improves newer tech from smaller sensors catches up with older tech from larger sensors, but if you are using similar technology the APS-C cameras will be a stop or a little more behind. So with a FF camera of the same level of technology as the M6 II it will be a little over a stop behind and that is what I was demonstrating.



Dec 24, 2021 at 03:32 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #11 · p.79 #11 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review








With the X-T3 at 10.06, the EOS M6 mk2 at 10.08 stops and the R5 at 10.86; just 0.80 stops separates these eight quite modern sensors at apples to apples ISO 100 at APS-C. With a full frame M10-R thrown in to boot at 10.71 stops.





Dec 24, 2021 at 04:16 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #12 · p.79 #12 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


AndereObjektiv wrote:






With the X-T3 at 10.06, the EOS M6 mk2 at 10.08 stops and the R5 at 10.86; just 0.80 stops separates these eight quite modern sensors at apples to apples ISO 100 at APS-C. With a full frame M10-R thrown in to boot at 10.71 stops.



You do realize that the Canon R5 and R6 and the Sony A7r IV and A7s III all do over a stop better than all of the APS-C camera at every ISO and about a stop and a half better at base ISO when shot in FF mode. They of course perform similarly when shot in crop mode (i.e., APS-C) as you see in the chart. The M10-R does better than all the APS-C camera by about a stop except at base ISO. The Leica sensor is not quite as good as the Sony sensors at base ISO and the Canon sensors build in noise reduction which helps their performance at base ISO by about a half to two thirds of a stop.

Contrary to what you suggest, the chart you link actually demonstrates pretty conclusively that the FF sensors are a stop or a little more better than the APS-C sensors. You could have seen that easily if you would have included the lines for the FF performance of the sensor and not just the crop mode performance.

You don't buy a FF camera to shoot it exclusively in crop mode. If you did that, then of course it would make sense to buy an APS-C camera. The appropriate comparison is comparing the cameras using the whole sensor of each camera.

Edited on Dec 25, 2021 at 09:08 AM · View previous versions



Dec 25, 2021 at 12:07 AM
AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #13 · p.79 #13 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


It's all so tiresome. I posted some wide open images in this thread about the Apo-Lanthar 50 VM as a response to a kind request, and I happened to comment that I liked the EOS M6 mk2 very much for it's colors, size, resolution and dynamic range which "approaches" "many" full frame sensors. This is plainly true.

The bad faith and repeated misinterpretations of my statement are out of place here.



Dec 25, 2021 at 01:11 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #14 · p.79 #14 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Thanks for posting the wide open photos. The detail/sharpness looks very good. I generally agree about the M6II. I was fortunate to borrow one for a few months and really enjoyed using it. The only thing I felt was missing was IBIS. I also wish the current version of the accessory EVF could still be tilted. I use that feature a lot when I use an EVF on the M240.

I tried most of my M lenses on the M6II and quickly came to the conclusion that they weren’t sharper than the native Canon EF-M lenses. At the time I had the 22/2, 32/1.4 and the UWA zoom (though the zoom had some edge sharpness loss). I would have to retrieve my tests to refresh my memory. I tried the 21 SEM, 28 Lux, VM35/1.7, 50 Lux ASPH, 90/4 Macro and 90AA.



Dec 25, 2021 at 01:28 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #15 · p.79 #15 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


AndereObjektiv wrote:
It's all so tiresome. I posted some wide open images in this thread about the Apo-Lanthar 50 VM as a response to a kind request, and I happened to comment that I liked the EOS M6 mk2 very much for it's colors, size, resolution and dynamic range which "approaches" "many" full frame sensors. This is plainly true.

The bad faith and repeated misinterpretations of my statement are out of place here.


Sorry, but I am not acting in bad faith. The claim that the M6 II approaches the dynamic range of FF cameras is plainly untrue if the FF cameras have similar technology. What is tiresome is that you will not admit that obvious fact even when I presented evidence establishing it.



Dec 25, 2021 at 02:17 AM
AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #16 · p.79 #16 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Steve Spencer wrote:
The claim that the M6 II approaches the dynamic range of FF cameras is plainly untrue if the FF cameras have similar technology.


I clearly never said that. The repeated misstatements of what I did say are at best a misunderstanding and your definition of "approaches" is clearly different than mine. I'm done with this nonsense.



Dec 25, 2021 at 02:47 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #17 · p.79 #17 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


AndereObjektiv wrote:
I clearly never said that. The repeated misstatements of what I did say are at best a misunderstanding and your definition of "approaches" is clearly different than mine. I'm done with this nonsense.


No you made the claim that the M6 II approaches the dynamic range of many FF cameras. I simply clarified that is not true if the FF cameras have similar technology and made it clear it only approaches the dynamic range of FF cameras with old and outdated technology. I thought that was an important qualification of your statement and rather than acknowledge it was an important qualification you obfuscated and put up an irrelevant and unrelated chart. Simply put, the M6 II does not have dynamic range that approaches FF cameras unless those FF cameras have old and outdated technology.



Dec 25, 2021 at 08:41 AM
AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.79 #18 · p.79 #18 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


More from this wonderful lens and the EOS M6 mk2.



































Dec 31, 2021 at 07:50 PM
Peire
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #19 · p.79 #19 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


A7R2+Voigtlander Apo lanthar 50/2 for Sony E
































Jan 01, 2022 at 06:52 AM
junglialoh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.79 #20 · p.79 #20 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


well presented its superiority in color and sharpness


Jan 01, 2022 at 08:43 AM
1       2       3              78      
79
       80       81       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              78      
79
       80       81       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password