Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              77      
78
       79              82       83       end
  

Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

  
 
naturephoto1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #1 · p.78 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


DaveFP wrote:

Thanks; so fairly typical. When possible I try to stay on the wide side of 5.6 for landscape.




Hi Dave,

I would say that there will probably not be that much loss at f5.6 or f8. It comes down to focal length, how much DOF that you need/want, corner sharpness, and how much you are willing to lose by stopping down more. For myself, and I only have 36MP and 42MP Sony bodies is use what you need for DOF and accept any loss of sharpness and if you need smaller apertures for DOF and for corner sharpness, shoot away and don't worry. I normally try to stay away from stopping down to the minimum aperture or 1 more stop down for shooting my landscape images.

Rich



Edited on Sep 23, 2021 at 07:32 AM · View previous versions



Sep 23, 2021 at 07:16 AM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #2 · p.78 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Dave,

I would say that there will probably not be that much loss at f5.6 or f8. It comes down to focal length, how much DOF that you need/want, corner sharpness, and how much you are willing to lose by stopping down more. For myself, and I only have 35MP and 42MP Sony bodies is use what you need for DOF and accept any loss of sharpness and if you need smaller apertures for DOF and for corner sharpness, shoot away and don't worry. I normally try to stay away from stopping down to the minimum aperture or 2 stops
...Show more

Thanks Rich - I generally go with what works for desired dof; certainly not past f/8.

I was just curious about exactly when this lens began to lose it's calling card; that amazing sharpness.

I am going to try more landscapes with it with a wider aperture.

Best -








Sep 23, 2021 at 07:24 AM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #3 · p.78 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


DaveFP wrote:
Thanks Rich - I generally go with what works for desired dof; certainly not past f/8.

I was just curious about exactly when this lens began to lose it's calling card; that amazing sharpness.

I am going to try more landscapes with it with a wider aperture.

Best -




Hi Dave,

Hyperfocal can be your friend, which is especially helpful and useful with MF lenses that have measurements for distance and aperture rings and (and aperture ranges/marks) on the lens barrels. But, remember if you are using a MF lens with these markings these are only a guide and will only represent a print of about 5" X 7". You will need to stop down and use smaller apertures the larger the image that you wish to ultimately produce. Sometimes you will find that you will need f11. It isn't a crime.

Rich




Sep 23, 2021 at 07:30 AM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #4 · p.78 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Dave,

Hyperfocal can be your friend, which is especially helpful and useful with MF lenses that have measurements for distance and aperture rings and (and aperture ranges/marks) on the lens barrels. But, remember if you are using a MF lens with these markings these are only a guide and will only represent a print of about 5" X 7". You will need to stop down and use smaller apertures the larger the image that you wish to ultimately produce. Sometimes you will find that you will need f11. It isn't a crime.

Rich



I generally focus on the primary area of interest and stop down only enough to capture anything important in the foreground.

I am usually not concerned with sharpness beyond the subject to any great extent.

I have used f/11 on occasion when it's the only way to include my foreground.

Most people don't like focus peaking but I do use it (on low) to help see where it all falls.

(I have Focus Peaking On/Off in my Fn menu)

I didn't realize that the hyperfocal markings were only valid for a 5 x 7 image...




Sep 23, 2021 at 07:44 AM
realVivek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #5 · p.78 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Should be the other way around?


Petegh wrote:
It starts at f4 for the blue spectrum, f5.6 for the green, and all three by f8.





Sep 23, 2021 at 09:16 AM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #6 · p.78 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


realVivek wrote:
Should be the other way around?





ROY G BIV
Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet

would suggest that but I don't know for sure....



Sep 23, 2021 at 02:59 PM
Flavourdynamic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #7 · p.78 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


DaveFP wrote:
ROY G BIV
Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet

would suggest that but I don't know for sure....


Diffraction becomes important when the wavelength of the wave is (at least) on the order of the size of the aperture, so for some fixed aperture it happens to larger wavelengths first, i.e. the red end of the spectrum.

You can understand this intuitively by the following: we all know large apertures don't make us worry about diffraction, right? But decreasing the aperture is equivalent to increasing the wavelength, since these are the only two physical scales we are considering. So large wavelengths are affected more, just as small apertures are.

Edited on Sep 23, 2021 at 11:54 PM · View previous versions



Sep 23, 2021 at 03:56 PM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #8 · p.78 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Flavourdynamic wrote:
Diffraction becomes important when the wavelength of the wave is (at least) on the order of the size of the aperture, so for some fixed aperture it happens to larger wavelengths first, i.e. the blue end of the spectrum.

You can understand this intuitively by the following: we all know large apertures don't make us worry about diffraction, right? But decreasing the aperture is equivalent to increasing the wavelength, since these are the only two physical scales we are considering. So large wavelengths are affected more, just as small apertures are.


Red has the longest wavelength.

If the rest of what you are saying is correct then it would seem that green would, in fact, diffract first. No ?




Sep 23, 2021 at 04:09 PM
photonoclast
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #9 · p.78 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


The point spread function (the diameter of a diffraction-limited image "spot" on the sensor for an pbject point source) for an ideal diffraction-limited system with a circular aperture is 1.22 times the wavelength times the f-number. Red is around 650 nm wavelength. Green is around 530 nm. Blue is around 450 nm. Red diffracts more than green which diffracts more than blue. For a fixed aperture the red wavelengths will diffract the most, followed by the green, followed by the blue. This is why, for example, the outer ring of a corona around the moon or a street light behind clouds or fog is reddish.


Sep 23, 2021 at 08:13 PM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #10 · p.78 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


photonoclast wrote:
The point spread function (the diameter of a diffraction-limited image "spot" on the sensor for an pbject point source) for an ideal diffraction-limited system with a circular aperture is 1.22 times the wavelength times the f-number. Red is around 650 nm wavelength. Green is around 530 nm. Blue is around 450 nm. Red diffracts more than green which diffracts more than blue. For a fixed aperture the red wavelengths will diffract the most, followed by the green, followed by the blue. This is why, for example, the outer ring of a corona around the moon or a street light behind
...Show more

Thanks; nicely explained.

RGB - easy to remember.

Now I just have to figure out why green clips first !






Sep 23, 2021 at 08:22 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Flavourdynamic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #11 · p.78 #11 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review



DaveFP wrote:
Red has the longest wavelength.

If the rest of what you are saying is correct then it would seem that green would, in fact, diffract first. No ?



Uh, yes, brainfart. Red end first! Edited the post.



Sep 23, 2021 at 11:53 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #12 · p.78 #12 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Maybe I'm not interpreting "clips" as you are intending. But maybe this?

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/A7R-IV---Measurements

Click on "Color Response". I don't have a way to get a link that takes you right to that tab.

DaveFP wrote:
Thanks; nicely explained.

RGB - easy to remember.

Now I just have to figure out why green clips first !






Sep 24, 2021 at 05:37 AM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #13 · p.78 #13 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


tsdevine wrote:
Maybe I'm not interpreting "clips" as you are intending. But maybe this?

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/A7R-IV---Measurements

Click on "Color Response". I don't have a way to get a link that takes you right to that tab.



https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/A7R-IV---Measurements

That seems to confirm that the sensor is most sensitive to green, then blue, then red..

If I have that right then the green channel will clip (oversaturate) first.




Sep 24, 2021 at 07:18 AM
Petegh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #14 · p.78 #14 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


realVivek wrote:
Should be the other way around?




Sorry, yes, typo, should read 'f4 for the red spectrum'



Sep 24, 2021 at 07:26 AM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #15 · p.78 #15 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review



That's how I interpret it.

DaveFP wrote:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/A7R-IV---Measurements

That seems to confirm that the sensor is most sensitive to green, then blue, then red..

If I have that right then the green channel will clip (oversaturate) first.






Sep 24, 2021 at 07:43 PM
graytrekker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #16 · p.78 #16 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


It's been fall colors season and both of my Voigt Apos have been getting a work out (along with a Loxia here or there). This last week was both the peak of the larch/tamarack colors and full moon. I have really been drawn by the "dark side" lately (night photography).

Here is a pre-dawn, blue hour photo of Bowman Lake, Glacier NP, before the moon set using the Voigt 50mm Apo:

Morning Blue Hour, Bowman Lake, Glacier NP by Doug Stevens, on Flickr
Sony A7RIII; ISO 1600; f4.5; 15 sec; 6 images stacked

I don't get much sleep this time of year

Best wishes

Doug

PS - cross posted on the Landscape Forum




Oct 24, 2021 at 10:51 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #17 · p.78 #17 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


graytrekker wrote:
It's been fall colors season and both of my Voigt Apos have been getting a work out (along with a Loxia here or there). This last week was both the peak of the larch/tamarack colors and full moon. I have really been drawn by the "dark side" lately (night photography).

Here is a pre-dawn, blue hour photo of Bowman Lake, Glacier NP, before the moon set using the Voigt 50mm Apo:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51626498388_afd9d8e276_c.jpgMorning Blue Hour, Bowman Lake, Glacier NP by Doug Stevens, on Flickr
Sony A7RIII; ISO 1600; f4.5; 15 sec; 6 images stacked

I don't get much sleep this time of year

Best
...Show more

Beautiful!




Oct 25, 2021 at 12:39 AM
Editorrr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #18 · p.78 #18 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review





Oct 25, 2021 at 01:54 PM
graytrekker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #19 · p.78 #19 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Desmolicious wrote:
Beautiful!




Thank you !!



Oct 25, 2021 at 02:47 PM
Cumulus5000
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #20 · p.78 #20 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review


Ok, first post here,
So if I'm too out of context, please don't punch me too hard.
I understand I'm in the Sony forum...

This lens seems to be gorgeous. I have a panasonic S5 body.
There is a Leica M-Mount version of it. And there are M to L adapters...

Is it a bad idea to adapt such a lens to a non Leica body?

Would the lens be less efficient because it was built to work with a Leica body-sensor?


Edited on Nov 01, 2021 at 11:33 AM · View previous versions



Oct 30, 2021 at 04:43 PM
1       2       3              77      
78
       79              82       83       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              77      
78
       79              82       83       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password