FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              92       93       end

Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

olalafoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

hanay78 wrote:
what an interesting moment, do I buy loxia or apo-lanthar... ? anxiously waiting for a comparison

My apo-lanthar will deliver on in 2 days,will replace my loxia50,I think the comparison result will be that apo-lanthar win without any suspense.(sharpness,field curvature,CAs)

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

i am very interested in your comparison!

olalafoto wrote:
My apo-lanthar will deliver on in 2 days,will replace my loxia50,I think the comparison result will be that apo-lanthar win without any suspense.(sharpness,field curvature,CAs)

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:26 AM
vdo1
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

No lens test can be complete without a comparison with "24 GM in crop mode"

Now seriously. Just for kicks, maybe you could try a 35mm in crop mode (anything from your current inventory). Maybe it could help with cooling a little bit the cropping fervor.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

olalafoto wrote:

I've shot with the Loxia 50/2 for many years. At large apertures, the Voigtlander will win by a large margin, especially at mid-field. (The Loxia has wavy field curvature)
However, I'm pretty sure the Loxia 50/2 will not be far behind in regards to contrast and resolution starting at f/5.6 and smaller.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:33 AM
saxguy
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

vdo1 wrote:

Now seriously. Just for kicks, maybe you could try a 35mm in crop mode (anything from your current inventory). Maybe it could help with cooling a little bit the cropping fervor.

I nominate the Sigma 35 1.2

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

John Borrelli wrote:
I am glad to hear Fredís positive comments on the performance of the lens at maximum aperture. As a landscape shooter, I donít often use this aperture but I am always concerned about the performance of a lens as a viewing lens at maximum aperture. For those of us who focus at maximum aperture this is an important lens criteria. I have been using the Sony FE 50mm 1.8 and although it performs well enough at the apertures I typically use manually focusing at maximum aperture has been a weakness of the lens.

The Sony 55/1.8 ZA is another lens that does well across the field at large apertures. (Even at mid-field)
However, it can't match the CV 50/2 APO's CA correction, color rendition and contrast.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM
olalafoto
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've shot with the Loxia 50/2 for many years. At large apertures, the Voigtlander will win by a large margin, especially at mid-field. (The Loxia has wavy field curvature)
However, I'm pretty sure the Loxia 50/2 will not be far behind in regards to contrast and resolution starting at f/5.6 and smaller.

Yes, f/6.3~f/11 is excellent, but I need the same excellent f/2~f/4

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

hanay78 wrote:
i am very interested in your comparison!

Im not every stinking time im either buying same time as him or buying within minutes.

Seriously I cant look right now. Im trying to downsize from home to a rental townhome sell my daughter my house. I need to get the hell out of here my daughter with grandkids and husband moved in 2 months ago to buy a new home and now they decided ours was it and there driving me nuts.

Seriously though my wife and I are ready to move and slow down.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM
vdo1
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

saxguy wrote:
I nominate the Sigma 35 1.2

Now that's an interesting one, especially vs the Sony ZA 50/1.4. Could save some bulk/weight in the bag when needed.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:41 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

vdo1 wrote:

You really need to get some new material

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vdo1
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

nhsonyshooter wrote:
You really need to get some new material

Not my fault, you gents need to get more creative with this thing "crop". 24 is old news

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:49 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

in terms of resolution i believe apo-lanthar should win. but contrast and color redition are the characteristic that interest me more now. i am an amateur, i rarely print, so i can leave with the mid field dip...

I bought a used lox and keep it for some weeks. then resold it. i miss it since, in spite of the nervous bokeh

any comparison will be highly apreciated

Fred Miranda wrote:

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:56 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

vdo1 wrote:
Not my fault, you gents need to get more creative with this thing "crop". 24 is old news

No one brought it up except you. It's like a cut and paste line for you regardless of the topic. Besides let's talk "creative" do you actually take pictures or are you just a professional commenter and GIF poster?

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:59 AM
saxguy
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

vdo1 wrote:
Now that's an interesting one, especially vs the Sony ZA 50/1.4. Could save some bulk/weight in the bag when needed.

I've actually used it quite a bit. As many know, I do a fair amount of food photography. Although my focal length of choice is 50mm, I usually would carry my Batis 40 for it's close focus ability even if I had the 50 1.4 ZA with me. The 50 1.4 ZA won't let me get close enough to where I'm comfortable shooting food at events and in restaurants. The 35 1.2 can get me to 11 inches or so, which when cropped to around 50 works really well. Even on the street I can easily move between 35 and 50 without giving too much away (I don't make large prints). I do carry the Sigma 105 1.4 as well - so I guess a little weight savings is appreciated

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

I plan to use it on my monochrome NEXí.

vdo1 wrote:

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:12 PM
olalafoto
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

hanay78 wrote:
in terms of resolution i believe apo-lanthar should win. but contrast and color redition are the characteristic that interest me more now. i am an amateur, i rarely print, so i can leave with the mid field dip...

I bought a used lox and keep it for some weeks. then resold it. i miss it since, in spite of the nervous bokeh

I think the biggest advantage of loxia50 is that the colors are bright and beautiful, I hope that apo-Lanthar can do the same

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

Flare Resistance:

After testing the CV 50/2 APO against the light, flare resistance is solid with minimal ghosting. Undetectable veiling flare and when compared to other lenses like the CV 40/1.2 Nokton -- veiling resistance seems to be a strength.

Here is a comparison between CV 50/2 APO vs CV 40/1.2 Nokton at sunrise. (Both at f/5.6 and focused at infinity)

TOP image (CV 50/2 APO) | BOTTOM image (CV 40/1.2 Nokton) | Both at f/5.6.

1:1 crop from image above showing the area focused at infinity distance.

1:1 crop from image above indicates improved veiling flare resistance for the CV 50/2 APO but scattered ghosting spots are noticeable.

Dec 13, 2019 at 01:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

hanay78 wrote:

At f/7.1 and smaller they may be close in terms of resolution, but starting at this aperture, diffraction becomes more obvious on the A7R4. If your main interest is landscapes, I don't think IQ will differ too much at small apertures, except for the extra lateral CA for the Loxia. Yes, the Loxia 50/2 has that mojo in micro-contrast and color tones but I think the 50/2 APO got that covered as well.

Dec 13, 2019 at 01:37 PM
numbertwo
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

The Zeiss looks sharper in the corners to me, and you mentioned you prefer the color rendering of the CV in the corners, but actually doesnít it look like a magenta color cast? And in the center the colors are similar in both lenses, and the color in the corners with the Zeiss looks more consistent with the centre, right?

Dec 13, 2019 at 02:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Review

numbertwo wrote:
The Zeiss looks sharper in the corners to me, and you mentioned you prefer the color rendering of the CV in the corners, but actually doesnít it look like a magenta color cast? And in the center the colors are similar in both lenses, and the color in the corners with the Zeiss looks more consistent with the centre, right?

Generally speaking, Sony and Zony lenses have a greenish cast whereas Voigtlander and Loxia lenses are more bias towards the red/magenta. I prefer the latter but this can be subjective.

Dec 13, 2019 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.