New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              50      
       52       53       54       end

Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.51 #1 · p.51 #1 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

The only time I have had issues with fit/attachment of lenses on my Ms is when I am using an LTM-M adapter. And it varies camera to camera and adapter to adapter. There will always be production tolerances that occur in the mfg of the adapters and the camera itself. I have genuine - and very expensive! - Leica adapters that bring up the correct frame lines on one camera, but not on the other. Same with my CV ones. My CV 40mm 2.8 M mount lens does not click attach on one of my M bodies, but it does on all the others! Again due to tolerances between the lens and the body being exactly off.

It is curious that LLL makes their adapter in brass, because their lenses themselves have steel lens mounts. So that is a very strange choice - if brass was fine, they would have used that on their lenses as well.
For example - my brass LLL 8 Element replica - brass finish but the mount is steel:

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:49 AM
Sax45

p.51 #2 · p.51 #2 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Is it possible that the LLL lens lugs are chrome plated brass? Because the thread on my Leica III is definitely chrome plated brass, and the lugs on my Summicron DR and 90 Elmarit seem to be chrome plated brass as well. For sure, none of these parts are magnetic, nor do the Leica lens lugs look like stainless steel (which is usually magnetic, but not always).

Yeah, it does seem like the LTM to M adapters are commonly an issue. I was hoping that LLL — a company selling $1100 dollar lenses that come bundled with adapters — would be working to a higher standard.

I mean, I can’t be impossible to make a good LTM to M adapter. The M mount is standardized with lenses and cameras that almost always play nice, and the LTM mount is standardized with lenses and cameras that almost always place nice.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:56 PM
_jim_
• •
p.51 #3 · p.51 #3 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Is everyone sure that what we think is steel is actually steel rather than chromed brass. Most lens mounts on cameras and on lenses are chromed brass (because it is much easier to machine and relatively rugged once chromed)?

All my LTM to M adapters (from a variety of manufacturers) are brass. I've had no issue.

I've never used the LLL mount adapters, but I'd assume they are nicely made. Everything else I have from them is nicely machined.

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:07 PM
_jim_
• •
p.51 #4 · p.51 #4 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

More with the LLL '1966.'

Jenny on Her Bday by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:09 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.51 #5 · p.51 #5 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Sax45 wrote:
I mean, I can’t be impossible to make a good LTM to M adapter. The M mount is standardized with lenses and cameras that almost always play nice, and the LTM mount is standardized with lenses and cameras that almost always place nice.

The issue is production tolerances amongst all the items you are using.

When you use a native m mount lens on your M mount camera - you are dealing with the tolerances on the camera and that on the lens. When you use an LTM mount lens, an LTM adapter and then an M mount camera - you are now dealing with three sets of production tolerances instead of two with just the camera and m mount lens.

You may, or may not run into the same issues with a more expensive adapter. I have. I would just swap the Fotodiox one with another. If that doesn't work, move on to a different brand.

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:11 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.51 #6 · p.51 #6 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

_jim_ wrote:
More with the LLL '1966.'

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53555085792_fa2ca0ee7a_b.jpgJenny on Her Bday by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53555934956_119530761e_b.jpgJenny on Her Bday by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53555935031_743a5e2583_b.jpgJenny on Her Bday by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53556275294_d0e17f4a7b_b.jpgJenny on Her Bday by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Love the colour here. What camera was used?

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:16 PM
Sax45

p.51 #7 · p.51 #7 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Thanks Jim. Great photos!

The mount on the M3 sure seems to be steel, because it seems to attract a magnet. Now it’s possible that other steel pieces are actually attracting the magnet, but it does seem like the magnet is sticking directly to the lens mount itself. Meanwhile, no magnetic attraction to the lugs on my Summicron or Elmarit. On my IIIc, the mount is definitely chrome plated brass, because there is some brass showing where the chrome has worn away.

Does anyone have any experiences with Popflash’s returns and customer service, if it does turn out that the LLL adapters have an issue?

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:18 PM
_jim_
• •
p.51 #8 · p.51 #8 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Desmolicious wrote:
Love the colour here. What camera was used?

Thanks! (sheepishly looks around to make sure no one is judging) These were taken on a Sony A7RII. The lens is sooo difficult to use on a rangefinder with the traditional focus and recompose methodology. I really, really like its character, but it is frustrating using it on film bodies and having 7 out of 10 shots be weirdly/un-usably soft because of the curved field, etc.

I sort of wish I had a digital Leica (mostly for style points), but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a piece of future digital detritus. Maybe someday...when my ship comes in...

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:29 PM
Sax45

p.51 #9 · p.51 #9 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

I definitely get what you are saying, it just seems like the LTM-M adapters are cursed. Based on what you're saying, what I see on forums, and what I see on Amazon/B&H reviews. I have a bunch of adapters with no issues. Heck, I have even had FOUR-manufacturer situations (Canon FD mount, 3rd party lens, cheap adapter, mirrorless camera) with no issues.

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:45 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.51 #10 · p.51 #10 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

_jim_ wrote:
Is everyone sure that what we think is steel is actually steel rather than chromed brass. Most lens mounts on cameras and on lenses are chromed brass (because it is much easier to machine and relatively rugged once chromed)?

All my LTM to M adapters (from a variety of manufacturers) are brass. I've had no issue.

I've never used the LLL mount adapters, but I'd assume they are nicely made. Everything else I have from them is nicely machined.

You most prob are right - chrome plated. I ASSumed because it was silver...

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sax45

p.51 #11 · p.51 #11 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Funny enough I decided to see what Fotodiox had to say about what material they use. I had to look at a few different listings for the same adapter, but I found one that claimed it was "brass with a stainless steel finish." I had assumed it was chrome-plated aluminum, since all of my other adapters use aluminum (really the cheapest material available for the purpose).

Go figure! I assume they are referring to color only when they say "stainless" finish, as stainless steel isn't really used to plate other metals.I

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:49 PM
weatherproof

p.51 #12 · p.51 #12 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Wow, LLL has a double aspheric in somewhere in the pipeline...

https://www.macfilos.com/2024/02/26/light-lens-lab-35-1-4-double-aspheric-replica-reviewed/

As Mr. Zhou has indicated, the prototype I received is not the final product, so unfortunately we will have to wait longer for this lens to be available commercially. LLL has other products in their pipeline, and I could not be given any assurances as to a release date.

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:57 PM
_jim_
• •
p.51 #13 · p.51 #13 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

weatherproof wrote:
Wow, LLL has a double aspheric in somewhere in the pipeline...

https://www.macfilos.com/2024/02/26/light-lens-lab-35-1-4-double-aspheric-replica-reviewed/

It's hard to draw too many conclusions from this. Ed seems like a lovely guy and it's unfortunate that his review copy was out of calibration (and also not a final version of the lens). But...the photos don't give me a lot to go on (it does look like he took a lovely European trip, though...which is nice). There are a couple closer-up/environmental portraits...which are kind of useful. Stopped-down landscape photos on a highspeed lens are kind of irrelevant for me (all lenses look good enough at small apertures...and this lens looks good, as well).

I'd love to see wide-open (or nearly wide-open) shots at close and mid distances. I'd love to see some out-of-focus highlights to see what the onion ring sitch is like (Zhou claims that there is improvement over the 50/1.2, but I'd like some evidence).

I'd even like to see how it looks mounted on a camera.

I guess I'll just keep waiting until other images come along.

Feb 27, 2024 at 02:57 PM
lehautedog

p.51 #14 · p.51 #14 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

I'm hopefully getting an M Mono and can share my LLL 8e images when it's here. Otherwise the images I've made on my M2 have been phenomenal.

Feb 27, 2024 at 06:26 PM
LightLensLab

Upload & Sell: On
p.51 #15 · p.51 #15 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

_jim_ wrote:
It's hard to draw too many conclusions from this. Ed seems like a lovely guy and it's unfortunate that his review copy was out of calibration (and also not a final version of the lens). But...the photos don't give me a lot to go on (it does look like he took a lovely European trip, though...which is nice). There are a couple closer-up/environmental portraits...which are kind of useful. Stopped-down landscape photos on a highspeed lens are kind of irrelevant for me (all lenses look good enough at small apertures...and this lens looks good, as well).

I'd love to see wide-open (or
...Show more. If anyone would like to explain I can publish some here.

Feb 29, 2024 at 04:39 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.51 #16 · p.51 #16 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Sax45 wrote:
Can I assume that their adapters are made to a similarly high standard? Is there any reason to buy used Leica adapters for way more money? I can get the LLL 3 pack for about the same cost as a vintage 90 or 135 adapter, and half the cost of a vintage 50 adapter.

I have the 3-pack of LLL LTM to M adapters and they work perfectly for me on my Leica M2-R film camera; perfect fit, correct framelines are called up, no issues. That said, I have a Fotodiox 35/135 LTM to M adapter as well and haven't had any problems with it either.

Feb 29, 2024 at 05:21 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.51 #17 · p.51 #17 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

lehautedog wrote:
I'm hopefully getting an M Mono and can share my LLL 8e images when it's here. Otherwise the images I've made on my M2 have been phenomenal.

You should share the M2 pics.

Feb 29, 2024 at 06:22 PM
Sax45

p.51 #18 · p.51 #18 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

bjhurley wrote:
I have the 3-pack of LLL LTM to M adapters and they work perfectly for me on my Leica M2-R film camera; perfect fit, correct framelines are called up, no issues. That said, I have a Fotodiox 35/135 LTM to M adapter as well and haven't had any problems with it either.

Thanks BJ, glad to hear you had a good experience. I actually ended up calling Popflash the same day I made the post. I spoke with Tony, and he gave me the confidence to order the 3 pack. I will report back once I have a chance to play with them.

Mar 01, 2024 at 08:26 AM
mgscheu

p.51 #19 · p.51 #19 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

LightLensLab wrote:
If anyone would like to explain I can publish some here.

Availability? Estimated price? Any pictures of it on a camera?

Thanks!

Mar 01, 2024 at 11:25 AM
lehautedog

p.51 #20 · p.51 #20 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Desmolicious wrote:
You should share the M2 pics.

I'm not sure if my blog links will show up but here's the 8e while my daughter was doing horseback riding lessons. I just got my 246 with the 8e as well. I haven't done much but family photos.

https://hautedog.weblog.lol/2024/03/horseback-riding-lessons

edit: i forgot to share the technical things

leica m2 + LLL 8e 35mm
lomography earl grey 100 @ 400 in D76

Mar 01, 2024 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.