FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              20       21       end

ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

N4865G
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

First ever attempt at baking cheesecake.

Dom

May 11, 2020 at 11:21 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Saw on SAR the other day that Zeiss was considering making an Otus line for mirrorless. It'd really set my mind at ease if they ever did, because while I think a 35-40 GM would probably be a better overall package than the 40 2 CF... I just really fucking love the colors and overall look this thing can pump out from base till ~3200 ISO. Been in my mental background noise for a while as I live far enough North that we only get ~4-6 hours of daylight for half the year haha.

Both of the following are nearly SOOC. Most minor of tweaks. As a sidenote, my boy just walked up laughing and slapped my lens right on the barrel after the first picture. Works good as new. Gotta love that Batis build quality.

May 16, 2020 at 10:14 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

fabrizcaidyn wrote:
It definitely has become a favorite lens of mine. It’s the perfect lens to take when you’re not sure if you want to take the 35 or the 50 and the 40mm is the perfect focal length right in the middle and covers both.

One of its winning properties. I have an unfinished write up on the lens that I contribute bits and pieces to titled "The best fixed fl compact lens that wasn't" that kind of speaks to that. 50 is a bit cramped indoors I feel, never know when you're going to be in some apartment as opposed to more spacious housing. 35 is not necessarily too wide for standard shooting but to me at least the difference in perspective distortion between 35 and 40 is noticeable in this comparison. Of course, some may not mind or even prefer the wider look or having more room to compose (actually, considering that 35mm became a "classic" fl and 40 did not—probably most don't mind, etc) but to me 40 is pretty ideal for one lens to just always have on your camera.

Now if Leica ever comes out with a Q variant 40mm to pair with their 28mm...

May 18, 2020 at 03:22 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Snap today with honestly the nicest flare pattern I've seen in my ~20 years of taking pictures. Dunno if this flare pattern is 40 CF dependent, but I'm glad it's a lens that can do it at least :P

Really love the rendering here.

May 20, 2020 at 09:42 AM
goodbokeh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Taken with my a7R3 and 40 Batis @ F/14, 1/10 second, ISO 5000. My X-Pro3 Dura Silver with Graphite 23/2 photo has been very popular on Fujifilm Facebook forums. They don't know what took the picture ;-)

May 20, 2020 at 04:33 PM
N4865G
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Animal eye-AF in action on the Batis 40.

Dom

May 21, 2020 at 05:45 AM
N4865G
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

And some more food photography (sorry, it's a lockdown, what else am I suppose to photograph... ;-)

Dom

May 21, 2020 at 05:46 AM
gunmetal
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Did that taste as good as it looks?

May 21, 2020 at 11:41 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

N4865G wrote:
And some more food photography (sorry, it's a lockdown, what else am I suppose to photograph... ;-)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49918587908_ddbe9f9917_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49918588128_78307fc0af_b.jpg

Dom

Cheesecake evolution

May 21, 2020 at 01:31 PM
N4865G
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Cheesecake evolution

So says my wife as well....

Thank you
Dom

May 22, 2020 at 05:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

A little soft from the exposure time of 1/20 sec, but plenty sharp and I keep loving the color and rendering of this thing. Light gathering is one of my few major critiques of this lens. F2 is moderately bright to begin with, but I'm sure I was at 2.2 or 2.5 here—gimmie a version with enough glass to fill this oversized barrel please, Zeiss! Have to shoot so slow to keep the ISO to reasonable levels

May 25, 2020 at 04:19 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

A few more pics out and about. Its performance across the focus range continues to impress. Wish I had an r IV for the close ups especially.

May 27, 2020 at 02:00 PM
RayinNY
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

goodbokeh wrote:
Taken with my a7R3 and 40 Batis @ F/14, 1/10 second, ISO 5000. My X-Pro3 Dura Silver with Graphite 23/2 photo has been very popular on Fujifilm Facebook forums. They don't know what took the picture ;-)

I'm interested in the same shot using the Fuji instead. 1/10 and ISO 5000 , let's see it handle that.

May 27, 2020 at 02:03 PM
goodbokeh
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Here's another 40 Batis shot, since that is the topic of this thread. This is shot @ f/16, 1/6 second, ISO 5000.
I lid the ISO of the Fuji at 3200. I find the Fuji grain has a nicer look, more like film, especially if I opt for the ACROS B&W film simulation. Sony is my V-8 muscle car but lacks the refinement of Fuji which is like a Porsche Speedster.

May 27, 2020 at 04:17 PM
N4865G
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

More baking action

Dom

Jun 02, 2020 at 06:49 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Hmm, I think I'm gonna make a first request for an images thread and ask for a recipe!

Jun 02, 2020 at 10:34 AM
N4865G
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Animal Eye-AF in action. Works every time.

Batis 40, shot at f2, 1/160s, ISO 1600

Dom

Jun 20, 2020 at 05:12 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

Just had some prints made from this lens & the a7iii. This above image stood out: even at 20 x 30 cm from just 24 megapixels it was suuuuuper crispy, and the subject being so completely goofy helped too! f4 3200 ISO

I'll put some more thoughts on this lens in case someone looks at this thread thinking about buying the optic. In good light, this probably produces my favorite images of any standard full stop. Before cries of heresy are made: yes, I know on a technical basis only in the 35-50 range we have the Sigma 35 1.2, Sigma 40 1.4, Sony ZA FE 50 1.4, and the Voigtlander 50 APO Lanthar which all perform better. But again... printing at 20 x 30 in a photobook (as to why large photobooks are particularly demanding, check out Nigel Danson's video How BIG can you PRINT your PHOTOS? discussing landscape prints; note his commentary on how often errors he finds won't be seen because of the normal viewing distance) I rarely notice the technical shortcomings of this lens wide open—by which I mean to say that I don't think our printing process is advanced enough to effectively differentiate lenses that surpass this on a technical merit. What I think we have in this lens is relatively rare: a lens that has modern error correction for things commonly held to be distracting or universally negative such as prominent CA, distortion, resolution falloff, etc... while at the same time containing strong "character" traits that can be put to good use. Not going to flood this reply with examples, but for an example observe the prominent glow on the left side of my subject's face here:

Earlier examples of this lens' character can be found throughout this thread, but this reply comes to mind. While I'm sure the 40 CF isn't completely alone in the simultaneous occurrence of modern corrections and strong character, I can't think of any other lens off the top of my head. For example while the 40 Nokton probably has stronger character than the 40 CF, we can see from Dustin Abbott's Voigtländer Nokton 40mm F1.2 Definitive Review @ 11:33 and many others that the lens' strongest display of character comes with an accompanying, ever present haze.

The other strong positive here is build quality. This lens has been kicked by a 1 year old, slapped by a 2 year old, been out in multiple downpours, banged into doors and gates, and had ice cream dropped on it (and then water frantically streamed over the lens to clean it off) and it still works like new. I've used G and GM lenses, and I now own the 20mm G but I doubt anything on the Sony platform is as sturdily constructed save perhaps the Loxia line (which having an all metal + sealed construction with no pesky electronics to break down should be among the best built, longest lasting lenses ever produced). I bought it knowing that it was going to be abused, and it certainly has lived up to my expectations on that front.

Where the lens lets me down is low light performance. The aperture behavior has an obvious effect on IQ via ISO ramping, but also an effect on AF as your sensor starts to get deprived of light. Though N4865G assured me that performance is good on the A9, I can say that as an a7iii owner my hit rate on moving subjects at distances less than a meter goes from a very useful 75-85% to a kind of abysmal 40-55%. On static or posing subjects I don't think I ever hit below 90% accuracy (unless said subjects happen to be wearing glasses haha) but it's definitely a significant difference from my 20 1.8 G (and I imagine the 35 1.8 FE, the 40 CF's closest competitor). Additionally, something doesn't seem to communicate very well between the lens and the camera body. While the lens is plenty sharp (see: all the images in this thread) the camera has a much harder time detecting the presence of an eye in the frame than with my 20 G, which to my mind shouldn't be the case as the 20 is an even wider angle lens than the 40 CF. I'm sure these issues will be mitigated by future generations of Sony camera bodies inheriting more advanced AF tech & algorithms, but at the moment this is the one significant shortcoming that always comes to mind when using this lens.

As long as you understand & work around the AF problems, it's an easy lens to recommend. Personally, as I live in Sweden where we have 3-5 hours of daylight about half the year I might replace this with a more reliable 35-40 G/GM if they ever come out & I never get an a9—but if I ever do I will probably always miss the images this lens produces. They're unique in the best way.

EDIT: replaced video links with youtube video titles. can't seem to post a discrete link instead of an embedded video

Jul 29, 2020 at 01:15 PM
Snico

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

It took me more than a year and several purchases/sales before I finally found the lens that suits me best. I liked the Voigtlander 40 f1.2, loved the Sigma 45mm f2.8 but in the end I have to admit that I'm more of a "Zeiss Guy".

Jul 31, 2020 at 08:02 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · ZEISS BATIS 40mm f/2 Image Thread

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Nice pics!

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:57 AM
1       2      
       4              20       21       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2