Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Sidelline to pressbox..whats your workflow

andre2112
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sidelline to pressbox..whats your workflow

Curious to hear what's new or your current workflow for wireless transfer to an editor.. Basketball is about to start and I'm long overdue to update.

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:25 AM
FaulknersFoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sidelline to pressbox..whats your workflow

If I have an editor, they are typically on or near the court. While I'm shooting I'm locking/starring images. I trade cards with the editor during timeouts and they work on them.

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM
jfw3
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sidelline to pressbox..whats your workflow

All my Sony a9's have WiFi. For games with the MLS team, we use FTP and send directly from the camera through a hot spot to the server where the creative content team can use what they want.

The other option is to send images to your iPhone and then upload them to a server. SmugMug works absolutely great for this. You give the school SID a link before the game, set it to where the newest images show up at the top so when they hit refresh, they always see what you have uploaded most recently.

For most games, I'm making my selections on the fly, especially for basketball with natural stoppages. College has media timeouts as an additional bonus, but if you're shooting at the HS level, use the time between quarters, halftime, timeouts, and free throws. Mark/lock the images in the camera and then at HT or end of the game, import the locked images only in PhotoMechanic. Do a quick color correction, exposure, contrast, etc. and export.

As an example, last week when I was shooting D1 WBB (Vanderbilt) for the school, I sent about 25-30 images throughout the game to phone and uploaded to SmugMug as well as marking them as the game progressed. I did the same thing for the MLS expansion draft for Nashville SC in November.

Once the game/event was over, I imported the locked images in PhotoMechanic, did a quick edit in Lightroom, exported and uploaded. In both situations I mentioned above, I was finished within 15 minutes of the conclusion of the event and the creatives at the soccer team and at Vanderbilt had everything the needed... uploads of key moments of the game/event in realtime, and a full gallery of 70-80 edited images in under 15 minutes.

Here are a few links of blog posts I wrote this fall about all of this. Some of it is Sony specific but it should be helpful regardless of what brand you shoot with. As for doing this on a regular basis, there is no scenario where I could or would do this without cameras equipped with WiFi which will EASILY transmit full res JPEG images to both a mobile phone/tablet as well as FTP.

• "Work arounds" for how a rig won't do this are not something I'm interested in. Work around means "this does not work and there is no intention for this to ever work."
• Removing an SD card from your camera and putting it into a card reader attached to your phone was really nice 5 years ago, but not in 2020.
• Some camera allow you to sync to an iPhone and then you can sift through them and pull what you want out... no good, takes too much time and is not fun

This might sound like I'm an elitist jerk "demanding" to do it this way, but here's the deal. The quicker you can get this kind of thing done, the quicker you get back to shooting and making sure you get the shots you need. Doing this stuff when it is cumbersome, difficult, and cumbersome to easily repeat is mentally draining. Not to sound all "artsy" but when you are busy with logistical and non-creative tasks, your work suffers.

Not trying to be a Sony shill here, but nothing Canon or Nikon makes will do this. SnapBridge would be fine, but it only transmits a small 1600x1000 (or something very similar) which is unusable. Piss poor on Nikon to not allow a full JPEG file to be transmitted and was a MAJOR reason I dumped the Nikon gear for Sony for shooting live sports.

Here are the links:
http://www.jfw3.com/blog/2019/8/31/photo-workflow-for-an-mlsusl-team-photog
http://www.jfw3.com/blog/2019/9/1/workflow-ii-technical

Hope this helps.

Dec 28, 2019 at 02:13 AM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sidelline to pressbox..whats your workflow

Thanks for the info! I'll check out the links...

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:13 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.