FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2019 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Ludvig83
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Requesting more pictures if you have them. I am thinking about adding this lens to complement by 50mm in a two lens kit.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:40 PM
Ludvig83
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Decided to finally get one to replace the 28mm 1.4E I used to have.

Apr 29, 2022 at 07:59 PM
Ludvig83
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

SOOC jpeg

May 09, 2022 at 09:19 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Ludvig83 wrote:
SOOC jpeg

Not sure but both your pictures have to me a certain softness, not something that would have made me happy.

May 10, 2022 at 12:15 AM
Ludvig83
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Well the eyelashes are as sharp as they can be when I blow them up on my screen. I don't know if the image can be any sharper. Also, the way my son and I are playing it's possible we're right at the edge of the MFD and just slightly moving in and out of it.

What I will say is that this lens is not as bitingly sharp as some of the other Z lenses and that was the general sense I got from online reviews as well. So you're right to think that you would not be happy with the lens and probably not worth adding to your collection. I find the 35 1.8s to be sharper.

I bought it to see if I could capture images of my son up close while playing with him and it's doing that job nicely. I find its skin rendering more appealing than the 50 1.8s because that shows far too much detail for my liking with regards to people's skin.

May 10, 2022 at 04:19 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

I find the 24 f1.8S to be every bit as sharp, if not sharper than the 35 f1.8S wide open and stopped down they are similar.

May 10, 2022 at 05:53 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

I also find my copy of the 24mm f1.8 S to be extremely sharp. Best 24mm lens I have ever owned.

Cheers,
Bernard

May 10, 2022 at 06:34 PM
Alistair1
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Not sure but both your pictures have to me a certain softness, not something that would have made me happy.

From Camerlabs review:

"The Nikon Z 24mm f1.8 S is a very good wide angle prime lens for owners of Z-series mirrorless bodies: Resolution and contrast is as good or even better than the Zeiss 28mm f1.4 Otus - which is no small feat."

May 10, 2022 at 06:42 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Indeed, sharpness is not everything on a lens, it is just something I noticed on these pics compared to the others I did see here. Enjoy the lens and the precious moments with your son.

Ludvig83 wrote:
Well the eyelashes are as sharp as they can be when I blow them up on my screen. I don't know if the image can be any sharper. Also, the way my son and I are playing it's possible we're right at the edge of the MFD and just slightly moving in and out of it.

What I will say is that this lens is not as bitingly sharp as some of the other Z lenses and that was the general sense I got from online reviews as well. So you're right to think that you would not be happy with
...Show more

May 11, 2022 at 12:00 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

I had the Z24mm and Z50mm for about 6 months. I switched from the Zeiss Loxia lenses 25, 35 and 50mm in my search for a single camera system for all shooting. I knew the Loxia lenses well, so I was able to compare. The Z24S is a great optic, and the resolving power is certainly no less than the Loxia 25, it is perhaps even a bit higher resolving than the Loxia when viewing at 100% (Loxia on the A7RII and Z24S on the Z7).

But the "optical sharpness" (if such a thing exists) is significantly higher on the Loxia, meaning that the perceived sharpness is greater, without any trace of harshness from the Loxia. The overall look of the Z24S is smoother, and softer yes. I missed the impact of the Loxia lens a lot, and ultimately went back to the A1 with the Loxia 25, but it is very subjective, I could not say which lens is "objectively" better.

May 11, 2022 at 03:54 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

Vinnie_VdB wrote:

Very shallow depth of field due to high magnification, and also a bit front-focused. But perfectly sharp.

May 11, 2022 at 09:45 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official Nikon 24mm f1.8S thread

AcuteShadows wrote:
Very shallow depth of field due to high magnification, and also a bit front-focused. But perfectly sharp.

Agree. I shoot car stuff with my 24 and it is very sharp. The DOF is pretty shallow wide open, as seen above.

May 12, 2022 at 12:45 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.