New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Do they exist?

I am yet to find any reviews or photos from m43 lenses that have star bursts that come close to some on the other systems. I would love something that comes close to Zeiss lenses for FF cameras but that might be stretching it a bit though as those are quite epic.

Anything that comes close without stopping down to F22? I have been looking some at the Voigtländers but I'm having a hard time finding any real shots showing of good or great star bursts.

I love the effect and could imagine using it in many landscape/cityscape shots but I have a sense I might actually have to bite the bullet and get a second system for it where I can adapt any and all lenses and use them a the focal length they were ment to be. Like a Zeiss ZF 21mm on a Panasonic S1 or Nikon Z for example.

Nov 14, 2019 at 02:29 AM
Super Angulon
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Look at this catalog. https://www.four-thirds.org/en/common/pdf/catalog2019_en.pdf. There is a photo with nice sunstar, the lens used is leica dg 12mm f1.4 taken at f5.0

Nov 14, 2019 at 03:18 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Thanks! Hadn't seen that before and it does indeed look really nice!

That could be an alternative though I would prefer something a bit wider (like 9-10mm or so) if possible. Have been trying to find out how the 10-25 performs in this regard but can't find anything.

/Rasmus

Nov 14, 2019 at 03:31 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Not the greatest examples but it's all that I have!

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:40 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Thanks Bobby!

Those are actually quite nice (images are very nice) though I don't like that you have to go down to F16 in order to get there, that is way beyond diffraction territory for m43. Did you choose F16 to get the sun bursts or for nay other reason?

Looking at Zeiss glass or Voigtländers (both manual which I am fine with) the sun bursts are just epic, love the look on them. Actually kind of thinking of a Voigtländer 15mm for Sony E or Leica M to use as a 30mm on m43, if I were to add any FF camera in the future that lens could easily be used on those as well.

How are the sun bursts on the 8-18 at wider apertures?

/Rasmus

Nov 15, 2019 at 03:54 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Most m43 lenses are not great for starbursts, maybe with the exception of the fast primes. One of the reasons why I shot at f16 was because I was shooting into the sun i.e. because there was just too much light.

Wilbus wrote:
Thanks Bobby!

Those are actually quite nice (images are very nice) though I don't like that you have to go down to F16 in order to get there, that is way beyond diffraction territory for m43. Did you choose F16 to get the sun bursts or for nay other reason?

Looking at Zeiss glass or Voigtländers (both manual which I am fine with) the sun bursts are just epic, love the look on them. Actually kind of thinking of a Voigtländer 15mm for Sony E or Leica M to use as a 30mm on m43, if I were to add any
...Show more

Nov 15, 2019 at 08:56 AM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Since starbursts are diffraction spikes, they are (as we know) more pronounced at higher f/stops. And since diffraction increases as the absolute size of the aperture decreases, one might expect more pronounced bursts with m43 lenses. Why some lenses are "better" than others may be due to aperture shape. Blades give one spike per blade for an even number of blades, and opposite blades reinforce the spikes. For odd number of blades the spikes are doubled and would appear weaker than for an even blade number. If the blades are curved and therefore produce no corners in the aperture one might expect flare but no bursts.

Does that square with anyone's experience? I've never tried to get starbursts intentionally so I can't say.

Nov 15, 2019 at 03:15 PM
say_doyster
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

I have found that my two Olympus Pro lenses (17 f1.2 and 45 f1.2) have a very aggressive starburst even as low as 5.6 with source speculars. Have not tried my Pro 7-14 f2.8 to know if it might also have a pronounced starburst effect (will try to remember to test in the next week or so). YMMV

Nov 15, 2019 at 03:22 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Here's another one with the PL 25/1.4 lens at f11.

I am curious as to how much better the 25/1.4 II is. Anyone here has the Mk II version?

Nov 15, 2019 at 07:16 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

@Bob Kane you are very correct of course but there are those lenses that produce awesome sun bursts at relatively large apertures, Voigtländers and Zeiss' for example.
I don't mean F2.8 but some start producing them really nice around F5,6 or so.

I don't know if it has anything to do with m43 per say or if Panasonic and Olympus just haven't really aimed for the effect. The 12 F1.4 does indeed look interesting though I would prefer it a bit wider.

@say_doyster it would be awesome if you can supply some samples from the Oly Pro primes if you have the time

@Bobbytan I will try the 25 F1.4 some more as well + the 12-40 some more at smaller apertures as well. I don't think the Mk II version of the 25mm will make any difference though as the optics are the same. Weather sealing and a modern focus motor has been added but other than that all should be the same.

/Rasmus

Nov 16, 2019 at 03:26 AM
BruceRH
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

The Voigtlander’s start their sun stars at f2. Easily the best sun stars in the MFT system. The Laowa 7.5 is pretty decent and doesn’t have to be stopped down much either.

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:56 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

BruceRH wrote:
The Voigtlander’s start their sun stars at f2. Easily the best sun stars in the MFT system. The Laowa 7.5 is pretty decent and doesn’t have to be stopped down much either.

Thanks for the info, the FF Voigtländers look awesome when it comes to sun bursts already at large apertures. Do you have any experience with the m43 ones?

Nov 18, 2019 at 02:00 PM
BruceRH
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

Yes, I have the 10.5 and the 17.5 for MFT. The 10.5 is a little soft in the corners but is actually my favorite, the 17.5 is very sharp. When the sun goes down, the Voigtlander’s come out.

Nov 19, 2019 at 07:30 AM
say_doyster
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · m43 lenses with great star bursts/sun stars

I am going to devise a test of the starburst pattern between the Olympus Pro (17, 45, 7-14) and the Voights (10.5, 17.5 and 42.5). Probably two approaches - in studio and then outdoors.

Please chime in with your ideas as I decide how (procedurally - various apertures and subject matter) to conduct these tests. Think I want to compare bokeh too, but not certain how I want to set that up in studio.

All ideas welcome!! Thanks

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.