New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              24       25       end

Archive 2019 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

Was just at PhotoPlus in NYC. They had a model of this lens on display. I'd say it's a bit bigger and fatter than the Nikon 200-500mm. It was under a glass cover and the real glass wasn't in it anyway, so no word on actual weight or price, but the rep said that the lens will be the size as displayed.

Also saw the E-M5 III, but that camera is just too small for my liking. That's purely personal, however.

Oct 24, 2019 at 03:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

Would have been better if it is the size and weight of the Sony 200-600 lens. And I bet it's going to cost upwards of $4,000. Will just have to contend with the 300 PRO + MC-14 and MC-20.

Oct 24, 2019 at 06:30 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

Thanks for the update John, I don't expect the lens to be within my reach as far as money goes, I would love for Bobby to be right but I am sceptic about it

Even though the size may be similar to the Nikon 200-500 I suspect the weight will be higher. Olympus never compromises on image quality in their Pro line (which is a good thing) and I expect the lens to be full of sweet exotic glass.

/Rasmus

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:43 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

bobbytan wrote:
Would have been better if it is the size and weight of the Sony 200-600 lens. And I bet it's going to cost upwards of $4,000. Will just have to contend with the 300 PRO + MC-14 and MC-20.

That Sony is about one inch longer than the Nikon. Might well be that the Olympus is closer to that size. I couldn’t really take the lens and walk over to the Nikon booth to compare it.

Oct 25, 2019 at 06:10 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

Wilbus wrote:
Thanks for the update John, I don't expect the lens to be within my reach as far as money goes, I would love for Bobby to be right but I am sceptic about it

Even though the size may be similar to the Nikon 200-500 I suspect the weight will be higher. Olympus never compromises on image quality in their Pro line (which is a good thing) and I expect the lens to be full of sweet exotic glass.

/Rasmus

They can only make it crazy expensive if they have the sensors and cameras to match it. Might be a sweet lens, but price wise a Sony A9 with the 200-600mm and converters can beat it.

Oct 25, 2019 at 06:13 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

johnvanr wrote:
They can only make it crazy expensive if they have the sensors and cameras to match it. Might be a sweet lens, but price wise a Sony A9 with the 200-600mm and converters can beat it.

This is Olympus we're talking about ;-)

What they "can" do and what they will do are very different things.

Considering how this lens will be built, the performance it's bound to have, the number of exotic glass elements in it etc and the fact that it is almost identical to Nikons and Canon's 200-400 lenses (slightly slower but also wider) I fully expect Olympus to release the lens in a price range that matches those of Nikon and Canon. Possible $2000 bellow. No matter what sensor you put behind this lens it will still be a 150-400mm F4.5 which is crazy expensive from all other brands. I don't see how Olympus could cut the costs to one third and still maintain high quality. The fact that it is made for a smaller sensor hasn't changed any of Olympus pricing for other products such as the 300 F4.

If it's $4000 it's almost a no brainer for most people thinking of the 300mm F4, loose a very small amount of light for the added benefit of zoom and a built in tc + 100mm extra reach at the long end. I don't see Olympus wanting to kill the 300 4 like that. Sure it's almost @2000 still but most people willing to spend 2k on a 300F4 would most likely save up and splash out the extra 2k for the added benefit of zoom. Heck, if it's 4k I'll jump right on it if I've had the time to save up for it

You are right though and I agree with you. I just don't have the hope for it

Ps. There has to be some reason the lens takes this long to develop. Either they were just starting out when they announced it, meaning it was almost on the drawing board still. Or they have run in to some kind of complications maybe? Fine tuning performance? I was hoping to receive some kind of release information and price indication now around christmas.

Oct 25, 2019 at 06:47 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

Doesn't look huge though, specially not for what one gets. Anything with zoom will get bigger than a prime. Anything will internal zoom will get even bigger at its smallest compared to an internal zoom lens. This is how Nikon are able to get their F4 Z zooms down to the size they do, they are unusable in their collapsed state and as soon as they are extended the size changes considerably. I prefer internal zooming my self, hate things that extend though it works for shorter lenses like the 12-40.

Weight? Guesses? 3-3.5kg?

I'm very excited about the lens but anything above 5k and will most likely say screw it. Anything bellow 4k will be an almost guaranteed buy.

All images from 43rumors of course

Oct 25, 2019 at 07:04 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

This is a lens that I think I will need to hold in my hands first. I keep looking at these pictures and just can't figure out whether this is usable or not. Currently I use the Canon 100-400 with a metabones adapter. That is as big as I would like to go but this new lens looks even bigger. If the weight were lower, I'd be OK with that. Thanks for posting John.

Oct 25, 2019 at 08:58 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

There’s a key difference between this lens and the 300/4, which is that packing the 300/4 for a flight is a no brainer because it’s so small for its reach. This lens is in the territory of thinking hard whether you’re going to take it, just like I’d easily take the Nikon 500PF anywhere, but not the Sony 200-600mm.

Oct 25, 2019 at 09:09 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

johnvanr wrote:
There’s a key difference between this lens and the 300/4, which is that packing the 300/4 for a flight is a no brainer because it’s so small for its reach. This lens is in the territory of thinking hard whether you’re going to take it, just like I’d easily take the Nikon 500PF anywhere, but not the Sony 200-600mm.

Right, that is what I am worried about. So if I have lens that I have to think about taking out, now the advantages of m34 begin to disappear. At that point, am I better off jumping ship and going with Sony or Nikon and PF lenses?

Oct 25, 2019 at 09:23 AM
bengeo

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

That cross section photo is of the 300mm f4 https://photographybay.com/2016/01/16/close-up-with-the-olympus-300mm-f4-is-pro-lens/

Oct 25, 2019 at 09:45 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

galenapass wrote:
Right, that is what I am worried about. So if I have lens that I have to think about taking out, now the advantages of m34 begin to disappear. At that point, am I better off jumping ship and going with Sony or Nikon and PF lenses?

Correct. Which is why I’m saying that they can only charge the big bucks if it’s part of an overall package that’s unbeatable in reach, IQ and AF.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

johnvanr wrote:
Correct. Which is why I’m saying that they can only charge the big bucks if it’s part of an overall package that’s unbeatable in reach, IQ and AF.

They have the reach, and probably the IQ....but where is the AF? I have an EM1x and the AF is OK, but not stellar. Still waiting for a EM1x firmware upgrade that allows tracking of birds, rather than things I don't shoot.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:19 AM
Aristophanes
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

It will be closer to US$6,000 and will be optically and performance awesome wide open, released with updated EM1.2 and EM1X bodies sporting a new sensor and processor, the latter using machine learning for birds and animals in addition to the planes, trains, and automobiles. With a TC reach approaching 1000mm in 135 terms, no other brand can really touch it while still fitting in a backpack. The dual stabilization will be 7.5 stops or more.

The hold-up for release is the m43 sensor problem. It can't just be released in isolation; it has to be the centrepiece of a wholesale system upgrade effort.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:19 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

johnvanr wrote:
I'd say it's a bit bigger and fatter than the Nikon 200-500mm.

If that is the case, it will not be popular with many. The Canon 100-400, Sony 100-400 & 200-600 are all smaller and easier to handle than the Nikon 200-500. Only plus I would see for the Oly would be the f-stop.

Does not matter if build and performance is top-notch if size and weight make it a joke for those wanting a smaller combo and have that lens slapped onto a M4/3 body.

If I still owned an Oly, there is no way I would buy the 150-400 over the P/L 100-400. Besides the no-doubt lower prices of the P/L 100-400, Canon 100-400, Sony 100-400 & 200-600, the f4.5 of the Oly will not convince many to pick the Oly over the other f5.6 or f6.3 zooms.

"Let's go for Oly 4/3 because of the smaller and lighter package." "Oh wait, the Oly is a larger and heavier package."

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:21 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

OK so if you go all out, and Imagemaster is right, that is 3K for a EM1x (I think street price is lower now) and another 4K for the 150-400. That's a total of 7K. Now what else can I get for 7K that is similar in size and reach?.....Nikon and their excellent PF lenses spring to mind right away.....and now I have a better sensor as well. 500mm PF - 3600 and D850 - 2800 plus another 500 for a TC (total reach = 700mm) for a total price of 6900. Now you can make adjustments downward for either system (EMIIm2 , or D750) to lower the price but you end up with a Nikon system of comparable price and reach with a MUCH better sensor. Olympus has to price the 150-400 below 4K to be competitive....but now that's getting closer to the 300mm f/4. I think the fate of my Olympus gear may depend on the price of the 150-400, as my only interest is in shooting birds/wildlife right now. YMMV.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:39 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

Aristophanes wrote:
It will be closer to US$6,000 and will be optically and performance awesome wide open, released with updated EM1.2 and EM1X bodies sporting a new sensor and processor, the latter using machine learning for birds and animals in addition to the planes, trains, and automobiles. With a TC reach approaching 1000mm in 135 terms, no other brand can really touch it while still fitting in a backpack.

Really? And if the Oly zoom is really the same size or larger than the Nikon 200-500, what makes you think the EM1X & 150-400 is a smaller combo than a Sony AP-C or FF body with the Sony 200-600?

And as far as reach goes, more important than the 35mm equivalent focal-length reach is how many pixels you have on your subject. i.e. How many pixels do you have on your subject shooting with the Oly sensor compared to a FF Sony sensor when your subject is the same distance away?

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:56 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

galenapass wrote:
OK so if you go all out, and Imagemaster is right, that is 3K for a EM1x (I think street price is lower now) and another 4K for the 150-400. That's a total of 7K. Now what else can I get for 7K that is similar in size and reach?.....Nikon and their excellent PF lenses spring to mind right away.....and now I have a better sensor as well. 500mm PF - 3600 and D850 - 2800 plus another 500 for a TC (total reach = 700mm) for a total price of 6900. Now you can make adjustments downward for either
...Show more

In my case, MFT is my main kit while I currently use Sony and Nikon for birds (while ditching Canon). If possible, I'd use only MFT, but I fear that's never going to happen. The question then becomes whether I keep MFT for everything else but birds (and low light) or whether I'm picking another brand for everything.

Judging from the current crop of cameras out there, Canon doesn't appeal to me. Panasonic is fine with MFT, but way too large and clunky with FF. Fuji's sensors I don't consider much better than MFT sensors. The Sony A9 is awesome for birds, but I can't get excited about only using Sony, which leaves Nikon as the only potential contender. Those f/4 zooms and f/1.8 primes are small for FF, but a full kit would still be quite a package.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

johnvanr wrote:

True, I didn't think of that. Than again I rarely fly.

I do some kayaking though and hiking and both size and weight comes in to consideration. Weight not so much in the kayak but size more so if I'm gonna have it strapped to myself somehow.

It will be interesting to see but for me the only real thing to stop me from getting it will most likely be price. I can always find a use for it

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:35 PM
Aristophanes
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 150-400mm Olympus lens

Imagemaster wrote:
Really? And if the Oly zoom is really the same size or larger than the Nikon 200-500, what makes you think the EM1X & 150-400 is a smaller combo than a Sony AP-C or FF body with the Sony 200-600?

And as far as reach goes, more important than the 35mm equivalent focal-length reach is how many pixels you have on your subject. i.e. How many pixels do you have on your subject shooting with the Oly sensor compared to a FF Sony sensor when your subject is the same distance away?

Maybe I am wrong on price, but things are stooopid silly in mirrorless land with pricing these days. Comparing to a legacy DSLR or adapted lens is problematic. Just look at the price on the 70-200/2.8 for the EOS RF to gauge where the margins are coming from now. They will up-price all mirrorless products compared to legacy DSLR. I expect Olympus and Panasonic (see their FF pricing for example) to ride that trend.

The future-proof friction buying new DSLR glass is, in and of itself, the competition.

And for pixels, yes, m43 needs (requires...demands) a better sensor. It makes little sense to offer such a lens on the current 20mp sensor and AF and EVF.

Also, would not the Olympus 150-400/4.5 with TC be closer to the Nikon 180-400/4+TC at $12k? The Olympus will have serious reach, and still be considerably more portable than any FF or even APS-C lens with this magnification factor, especially when the TC is factored in.

Let's says it adds 50% to the 300/4 mass, so 2200g. That's still less than the 2300g of the Nikon 200-500 and multiples less in mass and bulk any other FF or APS-C tele-zoom with that reach and magnification.

Judging by the relative sizes of the 300 and 100-400, this seems ballpark reasonable. We will have to see. And as for price, I don't think we can compare mirrorless to DSLR. SLR lenses are not the long term competition.

http://j.mp/2YkSyWr

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.