Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)
@DavidBM just posted an article at phillipreeve.net titled "An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV".

"This article, though, is more of a personal discussion of how much the differences between the A7r4 and A7rIII matter to me: and a spoiler is that while there are lots of technical differences which you can read about in the sites I mentioned, they arenít the most important ones.

So as you can tell already, I made the plunge. Was it a good idea? thatís what this article may help you decide!"

To read more, click here.

Sony A7R IV now In Stock:

B&H Photo ($3,498)

Oct 22, 2019 at 04:15 PM
vdo1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

I think that the first issue (MF indicator color) was partially Davidís own doing, if you set the starting magnification at x1, youíll get a nice orange rectangle showing which exact part of the screen will be magnified, and you can move that rectangle. Yes, there is an extra click involved, but if you set it to a handy and responsive button such as C1, it wonít slow you down a bit (you can easily doubleclick to skip the x1 step when you want to).

Nice review, thank you David.

Oct 22, 2019 at 05:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

David,
This is one of the most informative reviews online...and you don't even consider it a review!

Oct 22, 2019 at 06:11 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

Fred Miranda wrote:
David,
This is one of the most informative reviews online...and you don't even consider it a review!

Thanks Fred

Yeah I suppose I have an old-fashioned view that a 'full review' means actual lab tests and charts and so on. But I guess that's a bit behind the times...

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

2xbass
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

As usual, Phillip and co. do amazing work. The only part I question is that ďit [the noise and DR] are the same overall as the RIII.Ē Although I never did a direct comparison, from my experience, the noise in images above say ISO 1600 is noticeably worse than on the A7RIII and thatís what Iíd expect as the cost for the increased resolution. With the A7RIII I was comfortable shooting up to about ISO 6400. With the A7RIV I try really hard not to go above 2000.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:53 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

2xbass wrote:
As usual, Phillip and co. do amazing work. The only part I question is that ďit [the noise and DR] are the same overall as the RIII.Ē Although I never did a direct comparison, from my experience, the noise in images above say ISO 1600 is noticeably worse than on the A7RIII and thatís what Iíd expect as the cost for the increased resolution. With the A7RIII I was comfortable shooting up to about ISO 6400. With the A7RIV I try really hard not to go above 2000.

The reason I said ďsame overallĒ by which I meant on average is that the noise is the same at base, better at some low ISOs that some of us use a lot, while as you say a bit worse at high ISO (which some of us but not really me also use a lot.)
So itís swings and roundabouts...

But something is a bit wrong if your 2000 is close in look to 6400; thatís well over a stop and Iím not seeing that at the image level. Perhaps you are comparing at the pixel level?

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:58 AM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

I know you don't use the peaking, but the blue color (carried over from A9 update) is also one major for me since I use tilt/swing. Super easy to see focal plane.

I wish you could custom set the steps for ISO, so like 100,320,640 etc.

Oct 23, 2019 at 01:08 AM
2xbass
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · An Upgrader's Guide to the Sony A7R IV (phillipreeve.net)

DavidBM wrote:
The reason I said ďsame overallĒ by which I meant on average is that the noise is the same at base, better at some low ISOs that some of us use a lot, while as you say a bit worse at high ISO (which some of us but not really me also use a lot.)
So itís swings and roundabouts...

But something is a bit wrong if your 2000 is close in look to 6400; thatís well over a stop and Iím not seeing that at the image level. Perhaps you are comparing at the pixel level?

Thanks for the clarification David.

My comparison is a mix of both image and pixel level. Perhaps my threshold with the A7RIII would be better described as 4000. I rarely ever shot 6400 and in fact usually for day time I shoot 100, perhaps 200 or 400 but I also do a lot of golden and blue hour and sometimes even almost dark with slower shutter speeds and I really noticed the noise with the A7RIV. My overall feeling on this (from a wildlife photography perspective) is that the A7RIV is definitely much better paired with a prime (I shoot all primes and typically 2.8, 1.8, 1.4) than a zoom. I think people using it with something like the 200-600 at maximum reach in low light will be unhappy with the noise.

Oct 23, 2019 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password