Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
26
       27       end
  

Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

  
 
nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


So getting back to the A9ii. Just out of curiosity why add the 400 contrast detect points over the original 25. Better for low light? How does the contrast and Phase work together? Wouldn't more contrast points slow things down? I guess the improved processor is partly addressing that?


Oct 09, 2019 at 06:48 PM
TORP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


nhsonyshooter wrote:
So getting back to the A9ii. Just out of curiosity why add the 400 contrast detect points over the original 25. Better for low light? How does the contrast and Phase work together? Wouldn't more contrast points slow things down? I guess the improved processor is partly addressing that?


Contrast is slower but apparently more accurate so I guess by combining it would simply enhance the outcomes for the photographer where there is less movement from the subject. Maybe Phase to get focus and contrast to refine?



Oct 09, 2019 at 06:53 PM
davidnumrich
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


nhsonyshooter wrote:
So getting back to the A9ii. Just out of curiosity why add the 400 contrast detect points over the original 25. Better for low light? How does the contrast and Phase work together? Wouldn't more contrast points slow things down? I guess the improved processor is partly addressing that?


Those actually got added to the original A9 in a firmware update, too.



Oct 09, 2019 at 07:36 PM
Colin F
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


SoundHound wrote:
Sugru is dandy and lets you modify the buttons to suit.


Picked up some Sugru yesterday and added it to the two back buttons last night. Awesome!!!

For increasing button size with the Sugru product, the secret is to simply take a very small amount and roll it between your thumb and index finger into a little round ball, then press & form into place. (24 hours to cure).

The near flush buttons of the a9 were having me consider an a9II for that reason alone, but this product likely just saved me $3000.00




Oct 09, 2019 at 07:46 PM
wordfool
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


nhsonyshooter wrote:
Personally I don't see why it matters if someone is biased or not. They can still provide great information. Who buys equipment based on what one person says anyway? YouTube is fantastic because you can see different opinions and perspectives of products and how they function. It makes no difference if someone is bias or not because another Youtuber will point out any potential flaw in a review if for no other reason but to differentiate themselves. It's a great checks and balances type system. The trick as a viewer is just keep an open mind and take bits and
...Show more

I tend to agree. The key is transparency by the reviewer so the reader can make his/her own judgement about the validity of the information. If I know someone is essentially paid (in perks) to use Sony gear then I'll take comments about comparisons with Canikon with a huge grain of salt, but will be slightly less skeptical about comparisons with other Sony gear and will happily take any objective/factual nuggets of information.

Same goes for any source of information/news. If you understand the motivations of the writer you can make your own judgement on the validity of the information.



Oct 09, 2019 at 09:41 PM
nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


davidnumrich wrote:
Those actually got added to the original A9 in a firmware update, too.


Did not know that was part of the update. Thx. I had sold mine before that update came out. Thinking about picking one up again or A7iii for low light. The Riv is great but low light shooting is not a strength. Riii was better.



Oct 09, 2019 at 09:50 PM
LBJ2
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


Colin F wrote:
Picked up some Sugru yesterday and added it to the two back buttons last night. Awesome!!!

For increasing button size with the Sugru product, the secret is to simply take a very small amount and roll it between your thumb and index finger into a little round ball, then press & form into place. (24 hours to cure).

The near flush buttons of the a9 were having me consider an a9II for that reason alone, but this product likely just saved me $3000.00



Just curious. How safe is the Sugru adhesive? Any marring issues when it's time to take the Sugru off or replace?



Oct 10, 2019 at 02:52 PM
Colin F
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


LBJ2 wrote:
Just curious. How safe is the Sugru adhesive? Any marring issues when it's time to take the Sugru off or replace?


I've no experience with the removal, but I can't imagine that there would be any issue with removing it from the back buttons. I'm actually more worried about them coming off with normal use.

Before applying, I gave the buttons a little wipe with Isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils, for a good bond.



Oct 10, 2019 at 03:04 PM
PhotoTeacher
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


Colin F wrote:
I've no experience with the removal, but I can't imagine that there would be any issue with removing it from the back buttons. I'm actually more worried about them coming off with normal use.

Before applying, I gave the buttons a little wipe with Isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils, for a good bond.


They come off with a bit of a somewhat lateral pull, and do not leave any residue. The buttons sometimes look a bit dull, but I clean them up with alcohol and they look fine.

If applied correctly using some alcohol to clean the buttons first, and letting them sit undisturbed for 24 hours after putting them on with only a bit of pressure, they should hold very well.

Unused Sugru must be well wrapped (air tight) and should be kept refrigerated. I have only had some success with that, and often wind up using a fresh package if I need to use more.



Oct 10, 2019 at 03:36 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


I used some of those silicone or rubber bumpers used on cabinet doors. Just order what you want in height, diameter, and style. They have very good self adhesive, and really improved some of the button feel. I used transparent so I can still read the Sony markings on the buttons. They come off cleanly when you want to remove them. They even have the right orange color to go with the Sony trim. I used one of those for the shutter, it looks great.

There is a guy selling perfectly sized kits of these, but I forget the name of his kits. I have it at home and can post when I get back next week.

https://www.bumperspecialties.com/product-category/special-soft/



Oct 10, 2019 at 04:00 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

nandadevieast
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


Not much difference in prices of a9 and a9II NEW here in India...


Oct 13, 2019 at 12:11 PM
billsnature
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


Does anyone know if the used the same AA filter in the A9II and they used in the A9? I was disappointed there was no MP upgrade, but maybe a lighter AA filter could convince me to buy one.

Otherwise I think I am passing on this one.



Oct 13, 2019 at 06:49 PM
kosin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


arbitrage wrote:
Picking through the press release I noticed a few other interesting and promising tidbits:

"Real-time Eye AF for animal augmented with a new algorithm" Is this new since A9 FW 6.0?...birds?



Alex Phan posted a short video of a A9II focus at work, and it looks like the AF still doesn't lock on bird's eye. I would think that this duck got close enough to trigger it but I'm not sure if it was enabled in the menu. Here is the video: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1617559/0#15011926



Oct 13, 2019 at 09:58 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


It is interesting as I was able to get it to recognize a number of different birds including ducks off of my computer screen. But out in the wild I had ducks at point blank range and nothing.

I’m sure sometime in the A9II’s lifespan it will get some nice FW updates which may include support for more birds. I doubt the A9 will get those updates so eventually the A9II may start to have more advantages over FW and increase its advantage over the A9.
kosin wrote:
Alex Phan posted a short video of a A9II focus at work, and it looks like the AF still doesn't lock on bird's eye. I would think that this duck got close enough to trigger it but I'm not sure if it was enabled in the menu. Here is the video: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1617559/0#15011926




Oct 13, 2019 at 10:26 PM
Holger
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


arbitrage wrote:
It is interesting as I was able to get it to recognize a number of different birds including ducks off of my computer screen. But out in the wild I had ducks at point blank range and nothing.

I’m sure sometime in the A9II’s lifespan it will get some nice FW updates which may include support for more birds. I doubt the A9 will get those updates so eventually the A9II may start to have more advantages over FW and increase its advantage over the A9.



Interesting, too: Alex Phan claims high iso clearly better with A9ii than with A9:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1617592/0#lastmessage

There is an other thread of him here at FM showing a strongly reduced blackout in shooting with the mechanical shutter.

Makes the A9ii more interesting, at least to me...



Oct 14, 2019 at 12:56 AM
caplanner
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!




jwhatts wrote:
Sony's release cycle plus the upcoming Olympics dictated that this be released now. The problem with that is they had no time for actual innovations beyond the new grip, weather sealing, and connectivity.

Instead of the 10fps (up from 5 in the A9) mechanical shutter on a 24mpx sensor, I would've liked to have seen a new 30mpx sensor with a mechanical shutter fps of 5-7. That would have made this an easier pill to swallow.


Sony “had no time for actual innovations beyond the NEW GRIP, WEATHER SEALING, and CONNECTIVITY”. AND DUAL UHS II CARDS, and MCH SHUTTER 10FPS, etc

Man, this is a tough crowd...



Oct 14, 2019 at 03:19 AM
Jesse Evans
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!




caplanner wrote:
Sony “had no time for actual innovations beyond the NEW GRIP, WEATHER SEALING, and CONNECTIVITY”. AND DUAL UHS II CARDS, and MCH SHUTTER 10FPS, etc

Man, this is a tough crowd...


You mean literally all of the “innovations” of the A7r IV?



Oct 14, 2019 at 03:41 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


caplanner wrote:
Sony “had no time for actual innovations beyond the NEW GRIP, WEATHER SEALING, and CONNECTIVITY”. AND DUAL UHS II CARDS, and MCH SHUTTER 10FPS, etc

Man, this is a tough crowd...


Yeh, let's see what Canon and Nikon release for their Olympics cameras...then we have things to compare.



Oct 14, 2019 at 05:50 AM
caplanner
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!




Jesse Evans wrote:
You mean literally all of the “innovations” of the A7r IV?


Yep, the ones in the A7RIV that were not in the A9. Exactly those... 😀



Oct 14, 2019 at 08:39 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!


I sat down and watched this with an open mind....seems PMR took some of the criticism of the article which this video is based on and has toned down the cheerleading and presented a more balanced review.

I give him credit for that and I didn't mind the video as much as I minded the original article.




Oct 14, 2019 at 08:50 PM
1       2       3              25      
26
       27       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
26
       27       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password