Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              23              25       26       27       end

Archive 2019 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

wordfool
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.24 #1 · p.24 #1 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

Kinda off topic, but with Sony doubling down on speed in the A92 and resolution in the A7R4, it makes me wonder when the jack of all trades body (the A73) will get an upgrade and potentially give us that 36MP body so many folks were hoping for with the A92.

Oct 07, 2019 at 10:17 PM
TORP
• •
p.24 #2 · p.24 #2 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

wordfool wrote:
Kinda off topic, but with Sony doubling down on speed in the A92 and resolution in the A7R4, it makes me wonder when the jack of all trades body (the A73) will get an upgrade and potentially give us that 36MP body so many folks were hoping for with the A92.

I think part of this could have been resolved with a small/medium raw on the A7riv. If they implemented it I may have purchased it. Right now I am in no-mans land. I don't want the A9 or A9ii in their current form and the A7riv is more MP than I want to deal with on a daily basis.

I think if Sony provided small (24MP) or medium (36MP) raw, it would have provided a lot more flexibility to the A7riv to cover more bases. It also would have increased the buffer for the occasions where you needed it.

Right now, there are more gaps in the Sony lineup than a homeless person's teeth if you look at the latest models (as opposed to old models to fill the gaps). You have the A7iii with a low-quality EVF and you jump to the A7Riv which is 61MP. If you want 36MP you have to go to the old version of the latest model. Now the A7iii could be updated but its like that even if it gets a jump in res, it won't get the better EVF so your only option for the best EVF is the A7riv

Now I get you can't have all the features on one camera, but normally that applies to high frame rate and MP, not features like an EVF.

Oct 07, 2019 at 11:10 PM
ShootPDX
• • •
p.24 #3 · p.24 #3 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

I think it’s a pretty simple decision, deciding between the a9 and mk2. You either need the ergonomic, file transfer, and weather sealing improvements, or you don’t.

The a9’s still a remarkable camera, and handily meets the needs of the majority of its target demographic. The a9ii was a strategic release by Sony, and unfortunately they’re catching flack for it from people for whom it wasn’t intended. As others have said, the a9 really was a camera ahead of its time, and Sony’s released FW updates in good faith that practically turn it into a new camera.

I recently sold my a9 and picked up the a7riv. While I’m liking the megapixels, I miss the speed, blackout-free shooting, and, incredibly silent shutter of the a9, so I’ll probably pick up another one here soon. As much as I’d like the double UHS-II slots, improved ergonomics, and AF of the Mk2, it’s ultimately not necessary for the kind of photography that I do.

Oct 07, 2019 at 11:13 PM
ShootPDX
• • •
p.24 #4 · p.24 #4 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

I agree 100%. They made the a9 more dependable because that’s what their target demo wanted.

DavidBM wrote:
There's an article on DPR entitled "why the A9II is not designed for you" which matches closely what I thought. Sony went to news agencies with the A9 and said "what changes would it take to make you actually use some of these cameras at the Tokyo Olympics if we gave you a great deal on a ton of them"

They of course didn't talk about pixels or DR. They said gigabit ethernet, wireless when turned off, voice memos, better body, ftp settings files, reduced viewfinder latency, stuff like that...

Now if Sony could have produced a higher MP higher res EVF
...Show more

Oct 07, 2019 at 11:26 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.24 #5 · p.24 #5 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

TORP wrote:
I think part of this could have been resolved with a small/medium raw on the A7riv. If they implemented it I may have purchased it. Right now I am in no-mans land. I don't want the A9 or A9ii in their current form and the A7riv is more MP than I want to deal with on a daily basis.

I think if Sony provided small (24MP) or medium (36MP) raw, it would have provided a lot more flexibility to the A7riv to cover more bases. It also would have increased the buffer for the occasions where you needed it.

Right now,
...Show more

If you want around 36MP use the A7riii. An excellent and very capable camera, with IQ being top notch on FF.

"Now the A7iii could be updated but its like that even if it gets a jump in res, it won't get the better EVF so your only option for the best EVF is the A7riv"
That is just guessing wildly. We don't know until an A7iv comes out. I have to say, that I don't have problems using an A9, A7riii and A73 to produce my work. For the money, the A73 is an excellent tool.

Oct 08, 2019 at 01:24 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.24 #6 · p.24 #6 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

timgangloff wrote:
I started out 20 pages ago saying I was out. But now I've pre-ordered.

Mostly for what you wrote and also, I handled the a7r4 this weekend in the media room and really liked what I felt. "Grippier" is what I would call it.

In the mean time, I really am enjoying the firmware updates to the a9, so that camera is really singing now.

I am strongly considering an A9ii, too. The improved mechanical shutter alone, the little tweaks here and there are interesting and make the A9, the best price/performance-ratio camera body for me, even better.
I am curious as to how the reviews turn out to be.

Oct 08, 2019 at 01:29 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.24 #7 · p.24 #7 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

DavidBM wrote:
There's an article on DPR entitled "why the A9II is not designed for you" which matches closely what I thought. Sony went to news agencies with the A9 and said "what changes would it take to make you actually use some of these cameras at the Tokyo Olympics if we gave you a great deal on a ton of them"

They of course didn't talk about pixels or DR. They said gigabit ethernet, wireless when turned off, voice memos, better body, ftp settings files, reduced viewfinder latency, stuff like that...

Now if Sony could have produced a higher MP higher res EVF
...Show more

Good summary/analysis. I went back and re-read the DPR post with a different perspective.

"They want images of the A9 being used by someone who's not an artisan at the Olympics"

Oct 08, 2019 at 06:31 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.24 #8 · p.24 #8 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

I'm still considering a used A9 to complement my A7R3, as time goes on the shooting I do could benefit from the silent shutter and other A9 features. If A9 prices go down some when the A9II is released I'll probably fold and pick one up.

As for the A9II...lot of talk about the improved ergonomics. I have to imagine that if you add the optional grip to the A9II, it'll really start to give you the grip and stability of the big Nikon and Canon D's, with the ability to take the grip off when something lower profile is needed. To me that's a really beneficial feature for those who use their cameras for a number of things.

Oct 08, 2019 at 07:35 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.24 #9 · p.24 #9 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

TORP wrote:

I think the A7R4 does have a 26MP small RAW format. I noticed that when I shot with it last week. That's in addition to the crop mode, which is also 26mp.

Oct 08, 2019 at 07:51 AM
TORP
• •
p.24 #10 · p.24 #10 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

bipock wrote:
I think the A7R4 does have a 26MP small RAW format. I noticed that when I shot with it last week. That's in addition to the crop mode, which is also 26mp.

As far as I know the 26mp is the crop mode. The only other option that have is a lossy compression instead of lossless compression.

It’s noted in the first review I found quickly not to verify whether I’m wrong. It’s was also one of the first things I checked when they announced the 61MP sensor as I was looking at it as an option

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/sony-a7r4-upgrade-thoughts-and-questions/

To date, Sony has not offered a lossless RAW option, which would allow reduction of file size without quality loss. On their high resolution cameras, Nikon and Canon allowed users to shoot in various raw sizes, effective small and medium raw. The Sony A7riv would be much more appealing to me if I could choose different file size options: if I can shoot raw 61mp for some of my shots, but switch to 24mp files for the majority of my shots.

Edited on Oct 08, 2019 at 08:37 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2019 at 08:33 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.24 #11 · p.24 #11 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

Guess I shot the lossy compression. I didn't see any difference.

Oct 08, 2019 at 08:37 AM
TORP
• •
p.24 #12 · p.24 #12 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

bipock wrote:
Guess I shot the lossy compression. I didn't see any difference.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6144418951/what-difference-does-it-make-sony-uncompressed-raw

There was an article here on it. Main difference is high contrast areas. I check my files, it wasn’t a huge difference, but big enough for me to stay with the uncompressed

Oct 08, 2019 at 08:49 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.24 #13 · p.24 #13 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

In advance of the release of the A9 MKII I speculated what camera improvements I would need to replace my four A9 cameras since I really had few complaints with my MK Is. I wasn’t really interested in more mP at the expense of less Hi ISO performance (I am satisfied with the A9’s low light crop-ability).

So, absent some radically new low noise Hi ISO sensor, there wasn’t much else I needed since I had long ago developed my own workarounds. EX: the almost recessed buttons have been heightened with “Button Bumps,” etc. The handling ergonomics are fine with the battery grip which I favor since most of my shots are verticals. Without the grip the pinky-under-the camera is solved by a special $22 L Plate.

There is talk of better MKII “files” but, as I understand, these are JPEGS which can be better processed in camera with more computing horsepower. I never shoot JPEGs-only RAW. So all-in-all there are some MKII improvements that are nice but not essential (to me).

Bless Sony for the A9 FW updates that have made it a new camera for my work. Any other camera company would have orphaned the A9 and saved the FW upgrades for the new camera. As it is Sony still makes the MKI, a bargain @ $3500, and obviously will continue to support it. The News/Press pros can pay up for the MKII’s communication and remote tethering features which I don’t need.

Oct 08, 2019 at 11:32 AM
Colin F
• • • •
p.24 #14 · p.24 #14 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

SoundHound wrote:
...the almost recessed buttons have been heightened with “Button Bumps,”

Cool! I wasn't aware of those. I cannot find them on the Amazon.ca site, so am wondering how they compare to Sugru:

https://sugru.com/

Without the grip the pinky-under-the camera is solved by a special $22 L Plate.

Yes, I got the Neewer plate - works great.

There is talk of better MKII “files” but, as I understand, these are JPEGS

Is that correct? No difference in the Raw files? Can someone else confirm this? Improved IQ and ISO performance had me thinking about MAYBE getting the II, but if it's only for JPGs, that might very well be a deal-breaker.

Oct 08, 2019 at 11:47 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.24 #15 · p.24 #15 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

Sugru is dandy and lets you modify the buttons to suit. Search Amazon for Shutter Band’s “Button Bumps.” A bit pricey at $12 or $9 they aren't always high enough. I recently got a pack with dried out stickum.

As for the file quality-especially RAW-I guess we will have to wait for more reports from the field.

Oct 08, 2019 at 12:04 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.24 #16 · p.24 #16 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

SoundHound wrote:
Search Amazon for Shutter Band’s “Button Bumps.”

Yes, I did find them on Amazon.com, but we here in Canada have a different site: Amazon.CA

Oct 08, 2019 at 12:08 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.24 #17 · p.24 #17 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

Colin F wrote:
Cool! I wasn't aware of those. I cannot find them on the Amazon.ca site, so am wondering how they compare to Sugru:

https://sugru.com/

Yes, I got the Neewer plate - works great.

Is that correct? No difference in the Raw files? Can someone else confirm this? Improved IQ and ISO performance had me thinking about MAYBE getting the II, but if it's only for JPGs, that might very well be a deal-breaker.

Sony claims it is the same sensor. PMR claims some ridiculous 2 stop improvement in a very vague, roundabout run on sentence. As far as I know there is no software supporting A9II files unless PMR had an update to Edge from Sony.

Therefore, it was probably jpegs PMR was looking at with his 2 stop claims. I mean how are the RAWs going to be different off of the same sensor?

Oct 08, 2019 at 12:17 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.24 #18 · p.24 #18 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

Colin F wrote:
Yes, I did find them on Amazon.com, but we here in Canada have a different site: Amazon.CA

They ship to Canada for that product on Amazon.com. Looks like it will be $16 USD with shipping though.

Oct 08, 2019 at 12:23 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.24 #19 · p.24 #19 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

arbitrage wrote:
Sony claims it is the same sensor. PMR claims some ridiculous 2 stop improvement in a very vague, roundabout run on sentence. As far as I know there is no software supporting A9II files unless PMR had an update to Edge from Sony.

Therefore, it was probably jpegs PMR was looking at with his 2 stop claims. I mean how are the RAWs going to be different off of the same sensor?

Maybe the CFA was tweaked. Alternatively, noise reduction algorithms could have been improved and/or combined using AI etc. Who knows. But that won't give you two stops.
It is not impossible to get small improvements.

Oct 08, 2019 at 02:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.24 #20 · p.24 #20 · Official: A9 II with 24MP sensor!

Even Sony's press release specifically states "the same"..."image quality". I'm sure they improved 2 stops and just thought no one would care so lets not even mention it

"The new Alpha 9 II shares the same acclaimed 35mm full-frame stacked 24.2 MP Exmor RS™ CMOS image sensor with integral memory as the original Alpha 9, giving it the same unmatched speed performance and outstanding image quality."

Oct 08, 2019 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.