p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Olympus E-M1 IS question

Cool. Thanks. I am using a Mk I.

Oct 05, 2019 at 10:17 PM
Henning
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Olympus E-M1 IS question

Turn off stabilization.

I used to shoot F1 races on film even back with a Visoflex on a Leica. Then, after other systems and much later when Canon came out with the first stabilized 100-400, I got that but turned IS off for panning.

The problem with IBIS on telephoto shots is that the sensor has to move a LOT to keep up with medium and larger movement/vibration. Shorter focal lengths on the other hand are handled more easily with IBIS. Lens stabilization can handle longer focal lengths better, but not if there's a lot of movement. If you have true single axis movement (not the slightest bit of diagonal) then the mode intended for that might be able to keep up, but most shots have some movement in the other axis as well, and no stabilization method can keep up with that.

In any case, panning provides its own type of stabilization, namely the gyroscopic effect. That is enough for great panning shots.

Oct 06, 2019 at 04:38 PM
J.D.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Olympus E-M1 IS question

Interesting. I had already thought about the gyroscopic effect but discounted it.

However, I do think it is made harder with a smaller and lighter camera body. The inertia makes panning necessarily less smooth.

I will try turning it off altogether next time. Wilbus suggested this earlier too so the evidence seems to be mounting.

Oct 07, 2019 at 09:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.