New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

MikeEvangelist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!
From FM member @MikeEvangelist:

In 1968 I noticed an Argus C3 camera on a bookshelf at a schoolmate's house. I was absolutely captivated by the the way it looked, by the heft of it, and by all its dials and knobs. My friend's dad had picked it up during the Korean war, but never really used it. Sensing that I was very interested, he offered to let me use it. That offer changed my whole life.

I enjoyed using that brick so much that when the owner ultimately wanted it back I had to figure out a way to get my own camera, pronto. I was just 14, so after a little bit of research at the local camera stores, I convinced my mother to sign for the store financing, and I became the proud owner of a Mamiya/Sekor 500DTL. Fifty years ago today.

So much fun, and so much gear, between then and now*. And still the G.A.S. continues...

*roughly 65 cameras and 150 lenses.

The first photo with my first camera

$165 in 1969! on a paperboy's income!

Warranty card, duly filled in and mailed to Ponder & Best

A few of the landmarks I passed on my journey

Sep 23, 2019 at 08:12 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Nice. I plugged $159.95 and 1969 into an online inflation calculator and it spit out $1,118.16.

Sep 23, 2019 at 08:18 AM
KarmaKramer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Take any good photos along the way...?

MikeEvangelist wrote:
In 1968 I noticed an Argus C3 camera on a bookshelf at a schoolmate's house. I was absolutely captivated by the the way it looked, by the heft of it, and by all its dials and knobs. My friend's dad had picked it up during the Korean war, but never really used it. Sensing that I was very interested, he offered to let me use it. That offer changed my whole life.

I enjoyed using that brick so much that when the owner ultimately wanted it back I had to figure out a way to get my own camera, pronto. I
...Show more

Sep 23, 2019 at 08:27 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

KarmaKramer wrote:
Take any good photos along the way...?

There's maybe a couple good ones in here...

Sep 23, 2019 at 08:33 AM
KarmaKramer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Open up a few.....
Those are of more interest

MikeEvangelist wrote:
There's maybe a couple good ones in here...

Sep 23, 2019 at 08:40 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

KarmaKramer wrote:
Open up a few.....

OK; I'll bite. Here's three from my first few months using the Mamiya.

My sister, always dressed appropriately for the weather

The road North.

Dinner, coming soon.

Sep 23, 2019 at 08:58 AM
vdo1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

MikeEvangelist wrote:

I enjoyed using that brick so much that when the owner ultimately wanted it back I had to figure out a way to get my own camera, pronto. I
...Show more

Odd stuff: of all cameras only the A7 has Peak Design anchor connectors attached

Sep 23, 2019 at 09:24 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

vdo1 wrote:
Odd stuff: of all cameras only the A7 has Peak Design anchor connectors attached

Sharp eyes! (it's because none of my current gear is in that case)

Sep 23, 2019 at 09:28 AM
Apocalypso

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

OMG, that was my first camera too, although don't have nearly the story to go along with it. We're roughly the same age. I do think I was influenced by a very good friend who was likely borrowing his Father's Nikon at the time. I too was fascinated by it. And to top it all off, we both ended up on the high school yearbook and newspaper staff as photographers. And proud owners of the keys to the darkroom. Which you could lock. Very private. In High School. Yeah, boy, the memories. We even got around to developing film in there!

Also, am I mistaken, or might you have taken the very first selfie?

Sadly, I have nothing from that era. No negatives, no camera, nothing. Even the yearbooks themselves were, I think, stolen by one of my brothers, believe it or not. Maybe that's why my memories of that time are so vivid, that's all I have. I'm happy with them, I'll tell you!

My 45 year journey: Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL -> Olympus OM-2 -> various Canon compact all-in-ones -> iPhone -> Sony A7III - > Sony A7R4

Edited on Sep 23, 2019 at 02:36 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2019 at 01:40 PM
Apocalypso

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Also, admiring your case of collectibles. Were you aware that Steve Jobs drove a gold Mercedes like the one you have parked in front of his bobble head and book?

Sep 23, 2019 at 01:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dave Sanders
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Love the shot of the gear! I've sold most everything I've bought but find myself getting sentimental now... Maybe just a shelfull of the milestone stuff will satisfy me haha.

I like the shot of your sister... A great memory for both of you.

Sep 23, 2019 at 01:49 PM
vdo1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

I never sold my older gear except one lens. It all went as gifts to relatives or is still with me. Interestingly enough, the only common camera with Mike's collection is the Olympus Mju II. And I still have it too lol.

Sep 23, 2019 at 02:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

That Nikon Coolpix 990 was my first digital camera! Instead of tilting the LCD, you would swivel the camera optics.

I'm surprised you don't have the Canon D30 on display. This was my first digital SLR!

Sep 23, 2019 at 02:12 PM
Peter T
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Fred Miranda wrote:
That Nikon Coolpix 990 was my first digital camera! Instead of tilting the LCD, you would swivel the camera optics.

I'm surprised you don't have the Canon D30 on display. This was my first digital SLR!

The Nikon Coolpix 990 was also my first digital camera. I still love some of the photos I took with it, even if the composition wasn't always quite right:

G&F by petergthomas, on Flickr

Sep 23, 2019 at 04:26 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Great post mikeevangelist!

Love your Mamiya shots, I see the artist has always been there!

My first camera was also an Argus C3! Took a photography class when I was 10 or 11 and picked out a used Argus C3 with a nice brown leather case as I thought it looked cool with all the neat dials. Wished Id kept it for sentimental reasons.

Sep 23, 2019 at 04:43 PM
bwcolor
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Beautiful way to display your collection

My father had the Argus. I started with a Yashica TL Super and Yashicamat 124G. Originally used flash bulbs until the Honeywell potato masher came out. I built a full 10'x10' darkroom at 13-14 y.o.

Sep 23, 2019 at 04:46 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Apocalypso wrote:
Were you aware that Steve Jobs drove a gold Mercedes like the one you have parked in front of his bobble head and book

Indeed I was. That's part of why I ended up driving one myself. When I worked at Apple, I sometimes got to the office very early, so parked in the closest parking space. If that spot was occupied, Steve was known to park in the handicap spot next to it.

My car parked in Steve Job's spot. (it wasn't really his, but he often parked there)

Sep 23, 2019 at 05:37 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Fred Miranda wrote:

The 990 was really a great camera for its day. I loved mine.

Never had a D30.

Sep 23, 2019 at 05:39 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

MikeEvangelist wrote:
Indeed I was. That's part of why I ended up driving one myself. When I worked at Apple, I sometimes got to the office very early, so parked in the closest parking space. If that spot was occupied, Steve was known to park in the handicap spot next to it.

Nice camera collection indeed - just surprised that there is no Leica M film camera (I only see the SLR one of the R-series and a more modern one).

Yeah, I was wondering how this was connected to Steve Jobs. Well, the really last thing I would do is getting the same car as my boss drives. No matter who my boss is. And I wouldn't park in his favorite parking spot either.

But I also never understood all this Steve Jobs hype.

Edited on Sep 23, 2019 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2019 at 05:42 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 50 Years of G.A.S. - and so much fun!

Dave Sanders wrote:
Love the shot of the gear! I've sold most everything I've bought but find myself getting sentimental now... Maybe just a shelfull of the milestone stuff will satisfy me haha.

I like the shot of your sister... A great memory for both of you.

Thanks!

I should have mentioned that except for the Petri 35 and the Polaroid SX-70, none of the gear in my display case is my original copies. I sold all the originals to fund the next purchases. But thanks to eBay, I've been able to reacquire most of my past gear (and for a fraction of the original prices.) That's why some of the Leicas I shot (M4, M5, M9 & M240) aren't represented in the collection, they are still too expensive to reacquire.

Sep 23, 2019 at 05:43 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password