New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Ps brush opacity

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ps brush opacity

I'm engaged in the craziest thing I've ever tried to do with Ps. Combination of scanned photos, photos reduced to line drawing then hand colored, and bits from coloring books also colored with marker and pencil. Mixed into this are lines from some of my poetry. It's all being done as a commission for an acquaintance who is a "professional astrologer." Wants it for her "brand."

Don't ask me. I don't know. Yes I know what astrology is and yep, had my chart "done" say 40 years ago. People pay for this? Guess so.

Anyhow, I've got way more hours in it than makes sense for the small commission, but it's become a "hill to die on" because I'm having to learn a lot of things that are beyond the photo development I'm comfortable with. Over the years as I've slowly sunk deeper and deeper into the swamp known as Ps I've said repeatedly "Everything AND the kitchen sink."

Okay, I'm having to use the brush to "paint in" areas that connect photo to coloring and/or text. Have learned a lot because I rarely used the brush. The thing that's currently making me crazy is how do I get the brush color - taken from elsewhere with the eyedropper - to lay the full opacity down on a single stroke? I keep having to go over and over to completely cover even white space. This is true no matter the color.

I'm using a Wacom tablet and I end up pressing very hard on multiple passes to lay the color down properly. I've got opacity and flow at 100% and smoothing set to 0.

So please, will one of you Ps gurus help a poor devotee out here?

(Oh, did you know if you don't have the eyedropper sample set to "point" you don't get the correct color? Ask me how long it took me to figure that out.)

Sep 03, 2019 at 03:24 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ps brush opacity

Turn off pen pressure if you don't need it for what you're doing?

Sep 03, 2019 at 03:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ps brush opacity

You need to have both Opacity and Flow at 100 percent, but you probably also want that layer you're painting on set to Multiply or Color depending on the color and the effect you're after. And often, in setting opacities other than 100 percent, depending on exactly what tool you're in, you can end up changing the opacity of the layer by mistake, so you want to check that every so often as well.

Personally, I don't use any of the pressure sensitive options in my Wacom. If I'm using a brush and want 20 percent brush, I just hit the number 2 on the keypad for 20 percent, 3 for thirty, 75 for seventy-five, etc. or the number zero for 100 percent brush opacity. Those same shortcuts work on layer opacity if you're clicked on the layer, which is why you sometimes get an inadvertent layer opacity change.

And don't forget that the easiest way to change the size and hardness of any brush are using the left and right bracket keys for size and shift-left or right bracket for hardness.

Sep 03, 2019 at 04:12 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ps brush opacity

Thanks guys. That does the trick. Peter, wasn't aware of the shortcut. Total PITA to stop and fiddle with opacity when trying to paint. That leads me to the next question. I finally found Adobe's official shortcuts list for Ps. It's a table on a web page. I sent them a query asking for a PDF version. The reply was, "We don't provide PDF." Then he marked the inquiry answered. They defined the PDF standard, if I remember correctly and refuse to provide a bit of data in that format? grrr.

Anyway, I did screen cuts of the whole thing and hope to get around to running thru a character recognition program then format it, but that's a lot of work.

Does anyone know where the "complete" set of short cuts can be found in PDF of some such editable format?

Thanks again.

Sep 04, 2019 at 02:15 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ps brush opacity

OntheRez wrote:
Thanks guys. That does the trick. Peter, wasn't aware of the shortcut. Total PITA to stop and fiddle with opacity when trying to paint. That leads me to the next question. I finally found Adobe's official shortcuts list for Ps. It's a table on a web page. I sent them a query asking for a PDF version. The reply was, "We don't provide PDF." Then he marked the inquiry answered. They defined the PDF standard, if I remember correctly and refuse to provide a bit of data in that format? grrr.

Anyway, I did screen cuts of the whole thing and
...Show more

Okay. Solved my own problem. Defined the query all the way out "Photoshop keyboard shortcuts PDF" and up popped an official Adobe version. Now why do you supposed the so-called support droid didn't bother with that bit of info?

Sep 04, 2019 at 02:19 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ps brush opacity

Well, that has a quite a few of the shortcuts, but by no means all of them, e.g., the opacity shortcut isn't there. I'll keep looking,

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/PhotoshopCC-KBSC.pdf

Sep 04, 2019 at 02:28 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.