Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Will Luminar 4 develop Fuji RAF raw images?

dgurtch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will Luminar 4 develop Fuji RAF raw images?

I am an 82 year old amateur. My more recent work was done with a Sony A7R II. I used mostly DXO to convert raw images and apply lens corrections. In December, I acquired a Fuji GFX 50R with 3 lenses. I make big prints (20"x30" with Sony, and 24"x32" with the Fuji). I often put different skies into different foregrounds, so the Luminar 4 advertisements say you can do this easily, negating a lot of masking, etc, etc). I have Photoshop CS 6 which will not open or process Fuji files. My present work flow for Fugi RAF files is slow and cumbersome: Down load the day's shoot to my PC. Batch Convert in DNG converter. Delete the RAF files to save space, bring the batch processed DNGs into Bridge, select the ones I want to work on. Open Photoshop, and using their Camera Raw, process them (it automatically applies "cooked in" Fuji lens corrections). I then finish retouching etc in Photoshop, and print from Photoshop. I am wondering if Luminar 4 will directly process RAF files, and simplify my work flow, by eliminating the DNG conversion. Will it also allow ACR type corrections during the conversions, such as levels, curves, saturation? Thanks in advance.
Dave G in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

Aug 30, 2019 at 02:28 PM
spoupard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will Luminar 4 develop Fuji RAF raw images?

It should because Luminar 3 does. It does an okay job with Fuji raw files (I use an X-T2), but not great. I use Capture One and like its conversions much, much better.

Aug 30, 2019 at 07:21 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will Luminar 4 develop Fuji RAF raw images?

spoupard wrote:
It should because Luminar 3 does. It does an okay job with Fuji raw files (I use an X-T2), but not great. I use Capture One and like its conversions much, much better.

It supposedly does support the camera yet that‘s not the biggest problem, Luminar 3 (version 4 is months away, if it will even make it this year, Skylum is notorious for overpromising and underdelivering) struggles to handle 20 megapixel RAW files, almost all of their demos are done using JPEG. As for their reliability just let the DAM be a warning, they promised a fully functional DAM within weeks , at most months in 2017. Then came Luminar 2018 without any, promising „DAM coming soon(tm)“, the DAM being fixed on a roadmap to come really within a few weeks. Said date came and passed, then, months later, came Luminar 3 with an ineptly designed image library. And that‘s the current state still to date - roadmap items like virtual copies (essential for many DAM users and been listed for the better part of a year as „soon(tm)“) have even been dropped and requests for that on their forum are now „passed on to the developers for consideration as feature“...

The sky replacement function is the typical snake oil from Skylum, initially (and by their track record that‘ll be it) you‘ll have to use their sky library and the so called AI function is just a rather primitive mask by looking at their presentations.

Aug 31, 2019 at 06:41 AM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will Luminar 4 develop Fuji RAF raw images?

charlyw wrote:
It supposedly does support the camera yet that‘s not the biggest problem, Luminar 3 (version 4 is months away, if it will even make it this year, Skylum is notorious for overpromising and underdelivering) struggles to handle 20 megapixel RAW files, almost all of their demos are done using JPEG. As for their reliability just let the DAM be a warning, they promised a fully functional DAM within weeks , at most months in 2017. Then came Luminar 2018 without any, promising „DAM coming soon(tm)“, the DAM being fixed on a roadmap to come really within a few weeks. Said
...Show more

I won't argue with you at all. I agree 100%. That's why I won't be buying Luminar 4. I really felt burned by version 3, especially with the DAM. That's why I switched to Capture One and couldn't be happier.

Sep 01, 2019 at 07:07 AM
JimClark
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will Luminar 4 develop Fuji RAF raw images?

I agree not going any further with Luminar. Looking at alternatives now but will probably just go back with Adobe Photographers bundle

Sep 05, 2019 at 02:13 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will Luminar 4 develop Fuji RAF raw images?

JimClark wrote:
I agree not going any further with Luminar. Looking at alternatives now but will probably just go back with Adobe Photographers bundle

I never intended to switch to Luminar full time - it was supposed to augment my options when on the road - but it never came close because even on my quite recently bought notebook computer it never started because it is extremely picky regarding graphics card drivers and the drivers I need to be able to switch between the low power consumption/low performance to high performance GPU were triggering crashes on startup and when it happened to work after a series of tires it would fry the computer because of the ludicrously bad programming... It worked only half baked on my Mac - but that‘s a stationary system and Lightroom runs rings around the shoddy performance of Luminar.

I honestly don‘t understand how they got that award of image editing program of the year, it‘s a lot of things but not something that belongs into that category...

Sep 06, 2019 at 02:46 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.