Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2019 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

snapsy wrote:
Good point. Perhaps the 24 and 135 are more complex designs that require longer glass production cycles.

Could very well mean more production was produced for launch on the 35. That maybe it but glad to see you don’t have to wait. Nothing worse than waiting

Aug 30, 2019 at 08:41 PM
Maximilian
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

philip_pj wrote:
Zeiss *really* don't want to see more than 60% for 40lpmm WO,

But within the same company there can be different approaches:

https://www.zeiss.de/content/dam/camera-lenses/files/service/download-center/datasheets/otus-lenses/datasheet-zeiss-otus-14100.pdf

Maybe, being the focal length so close to 85mm, they wanted to differentiate the two lenses more clearly from one another.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:55 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

DavidBM wrote:
Thats what they say. But the interview with the actual designer of the ZA 1.8/55 made it clear that is all just smoke and mirrors. He designed it, at Sony, with Sony software and the Sony team. The only role that Zeiss played was that were proud of the "tradition" and something about holding themselves to Zeiss standards for manufacturing variation (which we know from tests is not true!)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesnumeriques.com%2Fobjectif%2Frencontre-avec-naoki-miyagawa-pere-meilleur-50-mm-moment-a1818.html

Can you generalize that to all other Sony ZA lenses?

Aug 31, 2019 at 01:31 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

GMPhotography wrote:
Bastian how fast is the AF on the Sigma. I need a lightning bug

Fast enough. I feel not held back at events.

Aug 31, 2019 at 01:34 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

snapsy wrote:
Good point. Perhaps the 24 and 135 are more complex designs that require longer glass production cycles.

When I have been at Leica factory tour recently, I asked them about glass and production cycles, as lenses often take Leica a long time to produce.
They told me that they get their glass from Schott. The glass needs to be especially pure, so is hard to get if you need it for aspherical lens elements. Schott is able to deliver glass chunks for sperical elements much faster, as that is what other clients demand, usually.
For Leica it is especially hard, as they don't need huge amounts contrary to producers in large production companies, their demand is especially low. Schott is not able and willing to deliver right away, they need to be informed about two years in advance to schedule preparation o the required glass. The more asphericals, the longer it takes to polish them to a certain accuracy. They meant other lens companies are in a similar situation. The 24 GM features two XA (extreme aspherical) lens elements, as well as three ED glass elements. That could be a start to explain the shortage.

Aug 31, 2019 at 01:45 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

From Adorama review of RX100 VI (just a random pick from me):

https://www.adorama.com/alc/hands-on-review-testing-the-sony-rx100-vi-the-most-powerful-pocket-camera

“..which is probably due to lens arrangement of two extra-low dispersion (ED) aspherical glass elements and eight aspherical lens elements, including four advanced aspherical lenses.”

What Leica referred to it’s aspherical glass may be very different than moulded aspherics (“AA”, “XA”, double sided aspheric, etc). Use of ED has become very common with lens makers. Current offerings from Cosina are full of them, for example.

Aug 31, 2019 at 05:41 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Holger wrote:
Can you generalize that to all other Sony ZA lenses?

Like I said, who knows. If I had to guess I'd say it's likely....but that's just a guess.

Aug 31, 2019 at 05:55 AM
Flaxx74
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

there are many 35/1.4 ZAs on sale now here in Switzerland, used prices almost dropping to new 35/1.8 levels. my ZA copy sharpens up very nicely from f1.4 to f2, from f2.8 i do not see any further improvement stopping down, it is sharp across the frame on my a7iii. so comparing mtf wide open doesn't do the sharpness of the 1.4 justice (not even mentioning rendering and such). will keep my f1.4 until the gm comes out, and if that is many years from now, that is fine as well. the 35/1.4 za is a great lens.

Aug 31, 2019 at 07:00 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Having the native Sigma 35/1.2 Art as an option now, I would definitely prefer it over the Tamron in Canon mount + adapter.
The Sigma would be 160g heavier, 0.36" longer and $350 cheaper but AF is fast/accurate and has very nice rendering. Wait, almost forgot, it's a f/1.2!

________

Tamron 35/1.4 EF mount:
805g + 125g (Sigma MC-11) = 930g and 5" long
Price: $900 + $250 = $1,150

Sigma 35/1.2 E-mount:
1090g and 5.36" long
Price: $1,500

If you can live with 28mm (which I often prefer) there is also:

Sigma Art 28 f/1.4 E-mount
925g and 5.26" long
Price: $1,400

It tests very well in Roger's blog for sharpness and as a newer Sigma Art there seems to be some of the concern with rendering. Maybe not as nice as the 35 f/1.2, but the rendering in the few samples I have seen doesn't look too bad at all. I think it is a lens to keep an eye on and might be a nice solution.

Edited on Aug 31, 2019 at 06:38 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2019 at 07:12 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Steve Spencer wrote:
It tests very well in Roger's blog for sharpness and as a newer Sigma Art there seems to be some of the concern with rendering. Maybe not as nice as the 35 f/1.2, but the rendering in the few samples I have seen doesn't look too bad at all. I think it is a lens to keep an eye on and might be a nice solution.

Sigma really upped their game in the rendering department starting with 1.4/28, 1.4/40 and 1.4/105 and went even a step further with 2.8/45 and 1.2/35.

By doing so they made me interested in their lenses which I wasn't for many years.

Aug 31, 2019 at 10:33 AM
Sarpedon
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Steve Spencer wrote:
If you can live with 28mm (which I often prefer) there is also:

Sigma Art 28 f/1.4 E-mount
865g and 4.2" long
Price: $1,400

I prefer 28mm myself, but hardly anyone seems to have this lens so good sample images are thin on the ground. I may rent one to compare with my Zeiss 28/2.

Just a friendly correction: those are the figures for the Canon/Nikon mount version. The real figures are for some reason not easy to find (they're not on any retail sites or even Sigma's own lens page), but they are 82.8mm×133.7mm (5.26 inches long) and 925 grams.

I found a page with accurate measurements for all Sigma E-mount lenses here: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/service/se_mount/

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Sarpedon wrote:
I prefer 28mm myself, but hardly anyone seems to have this lens so good sample images are thin on the ground. I may rent one to compare with my Zeiss 28/2.

Just a friendly correction: those are the figures for the Canon/Nikon mount version. The real figures are for some reason not easy to find (they're not on any retail sites or even Sigma's own lens page), but they are 82.8mm×133.7mm (5.26 inches long) and 925 grams.

I found a page with accurate measurements for all Sigma E-mount lenses here: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/service/se_mount/

Yes, as a rule of thumb, 60g should be added to Canon EF versions. That's the weight of the empty tube needed for the correct Sony E-mount flange distance. Also, an extra inch needs to be added to the Canon EF version's length measurement.

Going for an E-mount version instead of adapting a Canon version with the Sigma MC-11 saves about 65 grams in total weight.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:29 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Sarpedon wrote:

Thanks for that correction. I pulled the numbers off the Sigma site and I thought it probably had to vary by mount, but I couldn't find any information about that. Thanks for the link too with the correct information.

Aug 31, 2019 at 06:34 PM
steve g
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Has anyone done a comparison of the 35/1.8 with the 16-35mm GM at the 35mm end?

I'd be interested in seeing that.

Thanks

Sep 01, 2019 at 07:57 PM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

This a brand new tamron 35mm 1.4 lens

quote]GMPhotography wrote:
I have a review here from a couple years ago on the Tammy 35. Sharp as hell even wide open but was not the best rendering lens

Sep 01, 2019 at 08:16 PM
Calphate

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

If you can read Japanese and bother to track down all the patents of those ZA lenses, you will find that all the designers are Asian dudes and the patents are owned by either Sony or Tamron... The so-called Zeiss-Sony partnership is just marketing bullocks. Even Zeiss Batis series are all designed by Tamron.

Edit: except Batis 40CF. I haven't found the patent of this one yet.

Sep 02, 2019 at 06:29 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Calphate wrote:
If you can read Japanese and bother to track down all the patents of those ZA lenses, you will find that all the designers are Asian dudes and the patents are owned by either Sony or Tamron... The so-called Zeiss-Sony partnership is just marketing bullocks. Even Zeiss Batis series are all designed by Tamron.

Edit: except Batis 40CF. I haven't found the patent of this one yet.

Lots of people have been shooting (and raving about) Tamron lenses ---- but didn't know it because another name is on the outside.

Sep 02, 2019 at 04:13 PM
Maximilian
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

RCicala wrote
Lots of people have been shooting (and raving about) Tamron lenses ---- but didn't know it because another name is on the outside.

Do you mean the Batis lenses? Or more/other lenses?

Sep 02, 2019 at 05:18 PM
TravelinBriNY
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Same - 28 is probably my favorite walk around FL. I keep circling it though thinking I should pick up the 24/1.4 and 35/1.8 as they are both reasonably sized and getting excellent reviews.

Sep 02, 2019 at 07:40 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · LensRentals: Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM & FE 35mm f/1.8 MTF tests!

Maximilian wrote:
Do you mean the Batis lenses? Or more/other lenses?

A number of lenses, not limited to one brand. To be clear, I'm not under nondisclosure from Tamron and Tamron hasn't told me anything. But I get information from other companies that I am under nondisclosure with, we take a lot of lenses apart and see things inside, and patent searches are sometimes interesting.

Sep 02, 2019 at 08:28 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.