Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

pchaplo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

If I do a bulk rename of Jpegs using Adobe Bridge, is there any detriment to the jpegs? By that I mean, does Bridge rename without re-saving and re-compressing the jpg? I shoot with two cameras and need to avoid duplicate file names.

Aug 25, 2019 at 06:24 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

Simple experiment would be to do a rename of a single file in a file manager and compare it's size with a Bridge renamed file.

Aug 25, 2019 at 06:29 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

All it does is change the name.

Aug 26, 2019 at 07:59 AM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

Thanks. I did the experiment; no change in file size. Good idea.

Aug 26, 2019 at 01:19 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

Beni wrote:
All it does is change the name.

Thanks! Good to know!

Aug 26, 2019 at 01:20 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

Pointer for those pilgrims who follow: if you have a folder with over 100 large uncompressed tiffs, let Adobe Bridge finish "generating previews" before you do a Batch Rename. Otherwise it craps out after about the first 80 files. Thank goodness I was only adding a Prefix to the Filename and not a complete rename/renumber.

Heads up! YMMV.

Other than that it is working fine. Thanks again!

Aug 26, 2019 at 01:36 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

pchaplo wrote:
Pointer for those pilgrims who follow: if you have a folder with over 100 large uncompressed tiffs, let Adobe Bridge finish "generating previews" before you do a Batch Rename. Otherwise it craps out after about the first 80 files. Thank goodness I was only adding a Prefix to the Filename and not a complete rename/renumber.

Heads up! YMMV.

Other than that it is working fine. Thanks again!

We've never had that happen in the studio when setting Bridge to 'Prefer Embedded' preview. That might be a solution for you. We're using batch rename on thousands of files at a time and life is too short to wait for bridge previews! When we are outputting TIFF's from Capture One we set them to save with embedded thumbnail. This enables Bridge to then use them and showing those thumbnails is practically instant even over a slow network.

In addition there is a neat little feature in Bridge CC called 'build and export cache'. Although designed for use on servers it's also very useful for this kind of thing. Here's a link explaining how to use the feature: https://helpx.adobe.com/il_en/bridge/using/centrally-manage-bridge-cache.html
I use this to build the cache for an entire drive or set of folders. Set it up and leave it to build cache while I go to lunch or overnight, or even if it's a big drive, through the weekend. Bridge builds the cache for folders without you having to browse them. It then saves the cache for each folder in the folder. In real terms it means that you can prepare the cache for a large amount of folders in advance of having to work on them.

Bridge is slow with previews but so is everything else I've tried. You might want to try FastStone. I did some benchmarking with a bunch of free image viewers on a powerful machine, this was the only one which was faster than Bridge for building JPG previews and had a decent batch rename capability. With anything not containing an embedded thumbnail it was slower, much slower than Bridge. So was everything else.

Aug 27, 2019 at 07:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photoshop / Bridge: bulk rename of JPEGs - any loss / resave?

I use BreezeBrowser to rename all files before any other use. It is very fast and has numerous string codes to produce any file name you could imagine. It can also adjust the file timestamp and EXIF timestamp as well. I use it to organize files from 3-4 cameras on one shoot into common filenames before editing or bringing them into any other software such as LR.

EBH

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.