New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

Chad Bassman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

I don't shoot very many seniors but would like to and feel like I need to improve in order to do so confidently. Isaac is a super bright kid and wants to go into forensic psychology. Don't hold back, thanks for anything at all as far as likes or dislikes. Besides some blemishes I still need to touchup, my biggest struggle is and always will be skin tones!!!

Aug 23, 2019 at 01:22 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

The first photo would be my pick because he is looking at the camera and it makes a perfect 8 x 10 with the bass violin.

I am posting this as a father first and hack photographer second.

My wife likes the second shot, but, if you like her selection you will go out of business because...

Edited on Aug 24, 2019 at 09:56 AM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2019 at 04:13 PM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

Dragonfire - yes please, I'd love to see your rework. Thanks, Chad

Aug 23, 2019 at 04:15 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

Hey Chad, do you shoot in Raw? If so use a White Balance card in your first shot of each lighting setup and use it to adjust the WB so skin should look natural. I do notice some blown highlights in a number of these, use your histogram to watch for over exposure.

Aug 23, 2019 at 05:33 PM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

JB - thank you for the advice and I should do that... I do shoot in raw.

Aug 23, 2019 at 06:02 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

So many people worry about the skin tones this or that camera provides or how they process it. But what are the subjects actual tones? For all we know you may have produced a perfect match for his actual skin tones. If you did, great. If not then adjust a little.
A WB card is a good idea also.

Aug 25, 2019 at 09:53 PM
BauerPower
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

Odd perspective in #3. Huge feet and small head. If this effect is what you wanted, that is okay but the effect does not look natural to me.

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:22 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

I enjoy strong lighting photos, what Renaissance painters describe as "chiaroscuro" technique (light and dark). The first photo harkens to that.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:33 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

I enjoy strong lighting photos, what Renaissance painters describe as "chiaroscuro" technique (light and dark). The first photo harkens to that. Maybe the young cellist may be a Yo-Yo Ma in the making.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:35 PM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Isaac's Senior photos for c/c

As mentioned there are numerous hot spots such as in #1 on his chin and forehead.
#1 - good job lighting the backdrop but IMHO you really needed a hairlight to separate him from the background. In addition there are hard shadows under the eyes - kid looks like he hasn't slept in a week. If you look at the shadows they are very hard meaning your lighting was too far away or you used a bare flash since it was acting as a point source. Likely this is also the source of the hot spots.
#2 (my pick of the lot) has the best lighting IMHO but very little modeling. Overall I'm not too sure the door and stoop made for a good backdrop given the door has lines that run through his head.
#3 - no sorry, it's a terrible angle and the splayed feet kind of strikes me as "clownish".
#4 - Nice eye highlights makes the image very lively. Good masculine pose (although I might not have had the hand quite so limp). A few hot spots on the forehead and chin that can easily be fixed. A little skin treatment would likely be appreciated by the customer - nothing egregious. I have used a localized desat to minimize acne before but there are plenty of skin smoothing tutorials out there - just go light since this is a guy.
#5 - I like the high key but don't like the crotch shot. The bright green also intrudes on the silver-white motif you have going. Cross-legged would have been better IMHO. A very natural smile and expression leads me to say you might want to work with this one a bit more as it has potential.
Hope these observations help.

Aug 29, 2019 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.