New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · LR Classic WTH!!

GeoLaing
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR Classic WTH!!

I recently moved to LR Classic from LR5.7 because the editor I sometimes use no longer supports catalogs from 5.7(due to the "Adobe expiring licenses from other vendors thing"). I shoot D750 bodies.

Performance had gone completely to crap. EVERYTHING related to using LR has been reduced to a crawl. I used to edit an image in 10 seconds, now it often takes that long for the next image to appear on the screen. The results of edits are delayed, culling has become a nightmare due to lag, the entire LR experience has me so frustrated I find myself walking away from the machine.

My machine is a little older, but with LR 5.7, performance was great, I never had to wait for LR to catch up. The specs are

Win 7 Pro 64bit
i7-3770K 3.5Ghz
16GB RAM
Samsung EVO850 SSD 512GB x2 for system/ scratch and catalog
Nvidia GTX650

I understand it's probably a hardware issue but DAMN, this is insane. My machine runs great for everything else, but this is unbearable.

Would more RAM help? A new video card? Windows 10? I'm torn between a couple small upgrades to a 4-5 year old machine or is it time to build a new one? I'd appreciate input from those who've had similar problem and found solutions.

Thanks!

Aug 16, 2019 at 04:48 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR Classic WTH!!

I'm a little frustrated, as well. I only use it recreationally, but it still needs to work when I want it to.

I have a Haswell refresh i5 (highest end i5, I don't recall model number off the top of my head), 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, Intel graphics (no hw acceleration in LR).

Last night it was particularly bad. It runs okay, but a little slow in general. After a handful of intensive edits in an image, though, it just grinds to a halt. We're talking about 20MP Canon 6D images, not high MP Sony or other images. I had at least one image that started to bog down to the point the preview loupe was flickering after general levels adjustment and a couple of brushed adjustments. When I went to the sharpening panel to do sharpening and noise reduction, LR froze entirely!

It's a long way to say: Yes, I think the performance is getting slower and my older machine is also straining. I think it's excessive, because 6D files are not that big and I am not doing anything crazy with them.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR Classic WTH!!

I have Windows 10, 64 GB RAM, and a 40-core machine. Granted, it is a few years old, but it is absolutely fine with everything except LR. When I open LR, it is exceptionally slow - slower than it was a few months ago. I have done everything that I can to try to improve the performance - turning the GPU on/off, increasing the cache, changing how the previews are done, etc. Nothing seems to work. So, it just might be some kind of bottleneck in LR. The slowness for me seems to be in the library, but local editing is a little slow too, but not horrible.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:56 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR Classic WTH!!

Abuttolph wrote:
I have Windows 10, 64 GB RAM, and a 40-core machine. Granted, it is a few years old, but it is absolutely fine with everything except LR. When I open LR, it is exceptionally slow - slower than it was a few months ago. I have done everything that I can to try to improve the performance - turning the GPU on/off, increasing the cache, changing how the previews are done, etc. Nothing seems to work. So, it just might be some kind of bottleneck in LR. The slowness for me seems to be in the library, but local editing
...Show more

That machine sounds like a beast. I could understand being a little slow crunching numbers for NOAA weather simulations, but image cataloging and processing shouldn't make it sweat that much. That's just crazy.

Aug 16, 2019 at 01:03 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR Classic WTH!!

amacal1 wrote:
That machine sounds like a beast. I could understand being a little slow crunching numbers for NOAA weather simulations, but image cataloging and processing shouldn't make it sweat that much. That's just crazy.

It is indeed a beast. Interesting that you mention NOAA weather simulations because it was designed for running simulations of water movement, waves, and sand transport. So, it should do fine for LR. This is why I think that the issue is with LR having some kind of bottleneck.

Aug 16, 2019 at 01:29 PM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR Classic WTH!!

Amacal 1

My homebuilt computer has a 9 year old i7 Quadcore, but ram and hard drive are the same as yours. I have a dualboot Win 10 /Win7. I really do not have many problems with this been slow. When I move between images, it takes 2-3 secs to fully display and the sliders are pretty instant.
My catalogue has about 30000 images. Performance on both OS about the same.
Previews are 1920 and medium quality. The catalogues on the SSD and files on spinning drives.
I have images with about 30 clone points and the machine will add more quite happily if I want to add more. It can be slow cloning, but it happens. I exported a folder as a standalone. That is just 500 images and does seem a mite faster, but not a huge difference. My GPU is not up to doing any much, so GPU is off.This has been a problem pretty well as old as Lightroom, some people have big speed problems and other few problems.
MDE

PS it is possible to export a folder as a catalogue, work on it and then re import the edits into the main catalogue.
This could speed things up if you have a large catalogue.

Aug 16, 2019 at 02:04 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR Classic WTH!!

mikeengles wrote:
Amacal 1

My homebuilt computer has a 9 year old i7 Quadcore, but ram and hard drive are the same as yours. I have a dualboot Win 10 /Win7. I really do not have many problems with this been slow. When I move between images, it takes 2-3 secs to fully display and the sliders are pretty instant.
My catalogue has about 30000 images. Performance on both OS about the same.
Previews are 1920 and medium quality. The catalogues on the SSD and files on spinning drives.
I have images with about 30 clone points and the machine will add more quite happily if
...Show more

That's so strange. I'm used to not having a speed demon machine, and for the most part it's not that bad. Lately it hums along okay, but somewhere in the middle of manipulating an image it can just hit a wall and seems to become achingly slow. My processor usage spikes to 100%, the fans scream, and the develop module becomes significantly less responsive. The most frustrating part is brushing masks with the local adjustments. It will frequently miss my cursor movements and somehow cause brush strokes to "swipe" across areas of the image where I did not drag the brush. (i.e. if I'm brushing a mask in a gentle curve around someone's head, at some point it might draw a straight line between where my cursor is now and where it was a minute ago instead of drawing the curve I just traced out.)

Aug 16, 2019 at 03:15 PM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR Classic WTH!!

Have you updated your Video driver?
Win 10, if you use it is always updating and sometimes it can 'break things'
Your problem sounds like a video problem. The fans come on on my machine, but I get no symptoms like yours. I don't do many masks, but have done some very complex cloning. The system slows, but I don't get freezes. My 5D3 has I imagine similar sized files as a 6D. Have you tried copying some files to the SSD, to see if you get better performance, assuming you use spinning drives for storage?
All the best
MDE

Aug 16, 2019 at 04:13 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR Classic WTH!!

My video driver is up to date and my system runs great for everything else. LR 5.7 absolutely flew, while Classic just crawls. Super frustrating.

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:05 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR Classic WTH!!

Make sure that Lr is not building or rebuilding previews while you are trying to do something else. It is now clever enough to almost fully utilise my 6/12 core CPU, which is great stuff unless I happen to need them for something else too. On balance, I prefer the speedy import/previews. Previously, having previews built while doing some editing on something else was not as significant as it now can be.

The latest LrC 8.4 seems to go faster with the right graphics hardware than the previous v8.3.x did. But even a great graphics card can be somewhat crippled by connecting it to a chipset PCIe slot instead of a CPU PCIe slot. Perhaps check your m/b manual to see what the bandwidth is between the chipset and CPU, and between CPU and RAM. If either is too slow then you have a problem.

There may also be a problem in using the GPU for number crunching, which can be done more than ever before with the latest LrC 8.4. The problem is that any time saved by using the GPU instead of the CPU may be more than offset by the extra time taken for getting the data to and from the GPU. Perhaps (I don't know) the GTX650 is not quite fast enough.

Go into Lr Edit > Preferences > Performance and either set Lr to use the GPU for image processing (not the default on my installation) as well as display, and if that doesn't help go the other way and set it to not use the GPU at all.

Try setting the CPU to use (and to not use) 8 logical processor cores instead of 4.

Set Lr to use the smart previews for editing. That'll give you enough pixels to view the image onscreen while editing but not enough to zoom in on all of it. Even so, you'll get full-resolution output files.

Do make sure that you have a big enough ACR Cache. If it is any less than 3/4 full then make it bigger and see if more of it gets used. It tends to not fill the ACR cache on my system and so I initially thought that bigger would not help, but it was probably just leaving some wriggle room for itself.

RAM-wise, I have yet to see Lr use 16GB, and Windows can apply RAM compression to use the RAM more effectively. However, stuff like Ps will grab chunks of RAM for itself at the expense of Lr.

- Alan

Aug 23, 2019 at 01:53 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR Classic WTH!!

Intel turned off threading for security. That might be the problem here.

Aug 25, 2019 at 08:37 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR Classic WTH!!

skid00skid00 wrote:
Intel turned off threading for security. That might be the problem here.

I haven't heard of Intel turning off threading. But they have disabled some virtualization stuff. I would be surprised if this is the issue here.

Aug 25, 2019 at 08:43 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR Classic WTH!!

I read about it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/c2zuzc/surface_go_firmware_10180_disabled_hyperthreading/

Aug 26, 2019 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.