New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · LifePixel 830nm MonoChromatic Filter

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LifePixel 830nm MonoChromatic Filter

Hey,
I finally decided that what I really wanted was a good monochromatic Infrared camera so I got my Canon 6D (one of a few) modified w/ LIfePixel's 830nm deep filter. However, even in bright sun, I have a hard time getting the right expsoure and really what I mean is ANY EXPOSURE!!

I have to set the ISO fairly high, >400 in bright sun, and a very low f-stop, like F/4 w/ a low shutter speed, <1/100 and even then, it's still iffy. The light meter, which I sent them the lens to calibrate this with, seems useless.

What is not working properly, or maybe I should ask why?

Just as a side note, I have another Canon 6D outfit LifePixel's HyperFilter IR Filter, the one you don't need to channel swap, and before that I had a Rebel SL1 with their Super-Color IR filter (590nm).
Thanks.
Bill

Aug 15, 2019 at 01:37 PM
bertsirkin
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LifePixel 830nm MonoChromatic Filter

billsamuels wrote:
Hey,
I finally decided that what I really wanted was a good monochromatic Infrared camera so I got my Canon 6D (one of a few) modified w/ LIfePixel's 830nm deep filter. However, even in bright sun, I have a hard time getting the right expsoure and really what I mean is ANY EXPOSURE!!

I have to set the ISO fairly high, >400 in bright sun, and a very low f-stop, like F/4 w/ a low shutter speed, <1/100 and even then, it's still iffy. The light meter, which I sent them the lens to calibrate this with, seems useless.

What is not
...Show more

FWIW, 830nm will require more exposure than with visible light. The chart that I created below gives you an idea of about how much more exposure.

I shoot using matrix metering (on a Nikon body) with -1.0EV exposure compensation, for a reasonable exposure. With 830nm, you may still blow out some highlights (leaves, etc.), so you may need even more exposure compensation. Also, the white balance is critical, even with 830nm B&W.

Also, you MUST shoot with LiveView - if you shoot with the viewfinder, you'll only expose for visible light.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:23 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LifePixel 830nm MonoChromatic Filter

bertsirkin wrote:
FWIW, 830nm will require more exposure than with visible light. The chart that I created below gives you an idea of about how much more exposure.

I shoot using matrix metering (on a Nikon body) with -1.0EV exposure compensation, for a reasonable exposure. With 830nm, you may still blow out some highlights (leaves, etc.), so you may need even more exposure compensation. Also, the white balance is critical, even with 830nm B&W.

Also, you MUST shoot with LiveView - if you shoot with the viewfinder, you'll only expose for visible light.

Hey,
I can't thank you enough! I would have responded a lot earlier, but I had emergency surgery literately the day after I posted this, and I've been out of communication since.

I was reviewing the chart and I have to try it to see if I can get it to work any better because all I've gotten are near-black photos, even on bright sunny California days. I was starting to wonder if the camera itself was broken.
Thanks again and I'll post some photos when I can get it going.
Cheers,
Bill

Aug 25, 2019 at 05:30 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LifePixel 830nm MonoChromatic Filter

bertsirkin wrote:

Hey,
I can't thank you enough! I would have responded a lot earlier, but I had emergency surgery literately the day after I posted this, and I've been out of communication since.

I was reviewing the chart and I have to try it to see if I can get it to work any better because all I've gotten are near-black photos, even on bright sunny California days. I was starting to wonder if the camera itself was broken.
Thanks again and I'll post some photos when I can get it going.
Cheers,
Bill

Aug 25, 2019 at 05:34 PM
bertsirkin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LifePixel 830nm MonoChromatic Filter

billsamuels wrote:
Hey,

What is not
...Show more

No problem - if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

regards,
bert

Aug 25, 2019 at 08:10 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LifePixel 830nm MonoChromatic Filter

Hope you are feeling better Bill! Nice advice here Bert! It is always nice to see good interaction and advice from members!
Dan

Aug 26, 2019 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.