p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Okay I'm outta here to celebrate my health news. Hope these help a little

I'm really liking this. Glad I got it

Aug 14, 2019 at 06:25 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Great review and samples Guy and Phillip!

I just finished my Voigtlander 75/1.5 Nokton review.

Added today:
  1. Minimal Focus Distance performance (MFD)
  2. Infinity distance comparison to Voigtlander 65/2 APO

Final thoughts:

Producing beautiful images with undeniable Voigtlander character, the new Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton is packed with impressive specifications. This versatile lens delivers stunning portraits with smooth rendering from wide open, and solid landscapes capturing fine detail across the frame by f/5.6 at infinity distance. Although there's a slight field curvature when using it on a Sony body (likely due to the lens' short exit pupil), this only becomes an issue when using it for landscapes at wider apertures. By f/4 or f/5.6, field curvature is masked by depth of field, making the Voigtlander 75/1.5 a compact and competent tele option for landscape photography.

Starting at f/2.8, the 75/1.5 Nokton produces well-defined 12-point sunstars and flare resistance is top-notch. That's a winning combination for shooting against the light or when the sun is in the frame.

It's optimized for mid to long-distance but it still does a formidable job at f/2 for shorter distances where residual spherical aberration slightly reduces contrast and increases veiling which are great ingredients for natural and pleasant skin tones.

All in all, Voigtlander wins the hearts of photographers seeking a lens for aesthetic images with smooth rendering, the right amount of blur, and high resolution/contrast starting at mid-distance.

The only thing missing now - is for Voigtlander to release a 75mm f/1.5 Nokton optimized for the E-mount.
We can only dream...

Aug 14, 2019 at 06:27 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Very impressive at the link, it's a quite simple 7/6 design competing against a few-holds-barred 10/8 design jam-packed with special glass formulations and weighing almost twice as much. What a way to fill the 55-85 gap. I really value how they engineer their lenses to perform at longer distances, be they sweet portrait or strong macro lenses.

Aug 14, 2019 at 06:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

I've just inspected @genji's RAW files at infinity distance and can confirm the CV 75/1.5 Nokton is pretty much flat field on his Leica M10-P.
Hopefully Voigtlander will eventually release an E-mount version optimized for the Sony sensor stack thickness. Meanwhile I will be enjoying the M-version.

Aug 14, 2019 at 06:50 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

I will load my infinity raws and Big Bronco if anyone wants to play with them

Aug 14, 2019 at 06:56 PM
genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've just inspected @genji@'s RAW files at infinity distance and can confirm the CV 75/1.5 Nokton is pretty much flat field on his Leica M10-P.
Hopefully Voigtlander will eventually release an E-mount version optimized for the Sony sensor stack thickness. Meanwhile I will be enjoying the M-version.

I’ll honestly be very surprised if Voigtlander doesn’t release an E-mount version. I predict that the M-mount version will be extremely successful with M owners: it’s fast, relatively small, light, inexpensive compared to the Leica alternatives (new and used), lovely for portraits wide open, sharpens up nicely at f/2, decent for landscapes, pairs perfectly with a fast 35... any faults it might have are inconsequential compared to all its positive qualities. My guess is that Voigtlander will see an E-mount 75/1.5 as an opportunity to repeat the undeniable success of the E-mount 40/1.2.

Aug 14, 2019 at 07:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

genji wrote:
I’ll honestly be very surprised if Voigtlander doesn’t release an E-mount version. I predict that the M-mount version will be extremely successful with M owners: it’s fast, relatively small, light, inexpensive compared to the Leica alternatives (new and used), lovely for portraits wide open, sharpens up nicely at f/2, decent for landscapes, pairs perfectly with a fast 35... any faults it might have are inconsequential compared to all its positive qualities. My guess is that Voigtlander will see an E-mount 75/1.5 as an opportunity to repeat the undeniable success of the E-mount 40/1.2.

If the time it took for Voigtlander to release a 50/1.2 variant for the E-mount is any indication, it will take about a year for the Sony version of the 75/1.5.

Aug 14, 2019 at 07:52 PM
genji
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
If the time it took for Voigtlander to release a 50/1.2 variant for the E-mount is any indication, it will take about a year for the Sony version of the 75/1.5.

Maybe it’s Voigtlander’s strategy to sell two copies of the lens to Sony users: the M-mount version for those who can’t wait (you and Guy come to mind) and then the E-mount version about a year later to which you couldn’t resist upgrading.

Aug 14, 2019 at 08:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

genji wrote:
Maybe it’s Voigtlander’s strategy to sell two copies of the lens to Sony users: the M-mount version for those who can’t wait (you and Guy come to mind) and then the E-mount version about a year later to which you couldn’t resist upgrading.

For me personally, I will continue shooting with the 85/1.4 GM and CV 65/2 APO until the E-mount version is released. (I will append to this review)

Aug 14, 2019 at 08:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

genji wrote:

Heck they know our secrets. Lol

Aug 14, 2019 at 09:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retow

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Thank you guys for the great reviews, pics and discussion. I like what I see and read and thus ordered it plus the TechArt pro adapter to use it with the A7r3 (with the benefit of {eye} AF) and occasionally it will live on my ancient M9.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:15 PM
NRKStudio
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
I should have said a modern Lux. Yes it's sharper and better corrected in my mind though it's the immediate falloff from sharp to OOF which reminds me of a Lux

Guy, congrats on your health. I don’t know you, but still, congrats.

I definitely agree that the 75 Lux is like the CV75 in that they have two much diff looks from Wide open to then stopped down. The big difference is that the CV is much better corrected for CA and Is much higher resolving wide open.

Bokeh is a little bit smoother, but as it’s been said, the colors are just so rich on the Summilux. Also, it’s not just the resolution that’s different, it’s the low amount of contrast and micro-contrast that makes skin tones so smooth on the Lux. Colors kind of bleed together, even though you can make out some details. By low micro contrast I mean the edges of lines blur into each other, though the lines are still apparent.

I think that’s the best part of the Lux. The 75 Lux doesn’t really glow like the old 35 Lux, the Canon 50/.95, or even the new CV 50/1.2 @f1.2. It just looks smooth and rich.

Check out my previous post of the lens chart shot with the 75 Lux and CV75/1.5. You can see how quick the drop off is on the CV and how much tighter the details look. The CV does have that ability to capture color and tone gradients really well, and according to Erwin Putts the 75 Lux is just the same with that.

The optical design is very similar to the 75 Lux as well, albeit with an added aspherical lens at the back and another element slid in the front geoup.

With resolving ability similar to the 65/2 APO, and smooth rendering and great colors, I believe this CV75 will definitely be one of Voigtlanders modern day legends.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:30 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

genji wrote:
Ah, excellent point! That should have been obvious to me given that Fred and the Phillip Reeve team always use a Dutch angle for their infinity test shots. Looking back at the city from a vantage point somewhere in Pyrmont would have made that framing possible.

Actually, all I needed to do was pan a little to the right and I would have had the crane in the upper left corner!

Maybe no need, as Fred and I think Phillip say that it's midfield that you get the FC on Sony, and your test shows us that there isn't any midfield FC on Leica. I guess the portrait distance tests will be interesting to see if there is any sensor compatibility issue there that give Phillip his results at 2m or so.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:34 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

NRKStudio wrote:
Guy, congrats on your health. I don’t know you, but still, congrats.

I definitely agree that the 75 Lux is like the CV75 in that they have two much diff looks from Wide open to then stopped down. The big difference is that the CV is much better corrected for CA and Is much higher resolving wide open.

Bokeh is a little bit smoother, but as it’s been said, the colors are just so rich on the Summilux. Also, it’s not just the resolution that’s different, it’s the low amount of contrast and micro-contrast that makes skin tones so smooth on
...Show more

Interesting. I like that CV (and love the light weight), but I think I'll be keeping my 75 'Lux.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:54 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

So Im going to show you Big Bronco test. Im going to do 1.5 first then F2. Reason being F2 is really for the pixel peepers this is when the lens gets sharp on center and than F5.6 across the frame

Here is 1.5. As you can see corners are not there but not bad for 1.5 and there is some CA in the metal straps and in the lights on left crop at least there should be

Aug 15, 2019 at 07:37 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BTW I do clean up the vignetting as its much easier to see everything on equal exposure. Thats all I do here

Aug 15, 2019 at 07:39 AM
vdo1
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
So Im going to show you Big Bronco test. Im going to do 1.5 first then F2. Reason being F2 is really for the pixel peepers this is when the lens gets sharp on center and than F5.6 across the frame

Here is 1.5. As you can see corners are not there but not bad for 1.5 and there is some CA in the metal straps and in the lights on left crop at least there should be

Thanks Guy. Looking at that CA, I'd rather lug around the 65/2. Would work well on sharpness too

Aug 15, 2019 at 07:42 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

So at F2 corners still soft but center does get going very well. Also slight CA but I can remove it in a second in C1. Did not doing it here but a easy post processing fix. Im sure lightroom same thing.

One thing of note this is a M or Leica mount so its a dead lens on the camera. Camera things its shooting blanks. So absolutely nothing is being applied to the images from any setting you have in camera

Okay F2

Aug 15, 2019 at 07:46 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

vdo1 wrote:
Thanks Guy. Looking at that CA, I'd rather lug around the 65/2. Would work well on sharpness too

Let me get F5.6 up and Ill show you how to fix 1.5 CA. Remember its a dead lens to camera so no profiles

The problem with the 65 is it does not render like this lens, its more clinical but still gorgeous plus its a lot bigger

Aug 15, 2019 at 07:48 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Okay here is F5.6 and we are in landscaping territory

Aug 15, 2019 at 07:51 AM
1       2       3       4      
       6              34       35       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              34       35       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.