Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              33      
34
       35       end
  

Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

  
 
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #1 · p.34 #1 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Well, several months after I had decided that I would indefinitely postpone acquiring any more Cosina Voitglander M-mount lenses longer than the 35mm to 40mm range, pondering some of the comments on this page have persuaded me to restore the 75mm f/1.5 Noktonís place on my short list.


Sep 26, 2023 at 08:37 AM
hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #2 · p.34 #2 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


While I really like the optical performance of the Nokton 75/1.5 ASPH, I've pretty much stopped using mine entirely and will sell it given the chance. The short focus throw bugs me too much, and its one of the worst offenders in my lens collection for back-focusing when pulling focusing from near to far rather than from pulling focus from far (infinity) to near.

My Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH II didn't have this backlash induced back-focus. Real bummer.



Sep 26, 2023 at 08:59 AM
1bwana1
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #3 · p.34 #3 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


hmzimelka wrote:
While I really like the optical performance of the Nokton 75/1.5 ASPH, I've pretty much stopped using mine entirely and will sell it given the chance. The short focus throw bugs me too much, and its one of the worst offenders in my lens collection for back-focusing when pulling focusing from near to far rather than from pulling focus from far (infinity) to near.

My Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH II didn't have this backlash induced back-focus. Real bummer.


You can probably adjust the RF coupling to solve the back focus problem. Mine doesn't seem to have it.

The focus throw seem to be roughly in line with all my other lenses at about 1/3 of a rotation. I realize that this feels like less resolution in throw with a long lens, and I would likely prefer a slightly longer throw. But at wide apertures I find that with long FLs I need to get close with the focus ring, and rock slightly to get it perfect. I am not sure a longer throw would solve for this. I will also admit that when shooting a close subject wide open I tend to favor using the EVF rather than the range finder.

It is not my easiest nor most used lens, but when I do the results are just too rewarding to get rid of it.




Sep 26, 2023 at 12:22 PM
hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #4 · p.34 #4 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


1bwana1 wrote:
You can probably adjust the RF coupling to solve the back focus problem. Mine doesn't seem to have it.

The focus throw seem to be roughly in line with all my other lenses at about 1/3 of a rotation. I realize that this feels like less resolution in throw with a long lens, and I would likely prefer a slightly longer throw. But at wide apertures I find that with long FLs I need to get close with the focus ring, and rock slightly to get it perfect. I am not sure a longer throw would solve for this. I will
...Show more

I don't know what to change on the lens' RF coupling besides replacing both helicoids with ones that have less slop. Changing grease types didn't help one bit.

I find it rather difficult to focus this lens on medium too far distances with this focus throw. Focusing from infinity on something 10 meters away needs barely any turn of the focus ring. Focusing at short distances is ok. It's similar to my Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm ZF, a great lens thats frustrating to use for things that are some 10m or further away.



Sep 26, 2023 at 11:25 PM
Oogappeltje
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #5 · p.34 #5 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Goldkimono





Oct 01, 2023 at 10:27 AM
algrove
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #6 · p.34 #6 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Years ago I sold my 6 bit coded Leica 75/1.4 11810 that I had sent to Leica Germany for CLA and 6 bit coding. That was stupid.

So now I wonder how the Leica 75/1.4 stacks up against this more modern 75/1.5?



Oct 01, 2023 at 12:04 PM
nehemiahphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #7 · p.34 #7 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


algrove wrote:
Years ago I sold my 6 bit coded Leica 75/1.4 11810 that I had sent to Leica Germany for CLA and 6 bit coding. That was stupid.

So now I wonder how the Leica 75/1.4 stacks up against this more modern 75/1.5?


https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1738253/0




Oct 01, 2023 at 06:54 PM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #8 · p.34 #8 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


hmzimelka wrote:
Focusing from infinity on something 10 meters away needs barely any turn of the focus ring. Focusing at short distances is ok. It's similar to my Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm ZF, a great lens thats frustrating to use for things that are some 10m or further away.


Yes, the Makro-Planar has just 1-2 degrees of rotation from 10 m to infinity. It's a macro lens with about 360į rotation from 1:2 to infinity. Anyway, it's much better than, say, the Micro-Nikkor 85/2.8 PC.
Differently, the 135 Apo Sonnar has several degrees rotation from 10 m to infinity; this makes life easier when the camera is not on the tripod.



Oct 02, 2023 at 12:25 AM
hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #9 · p.34 #9 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Ripolini wrote:
Yes, the Makro-Planar has just 1-2 degrees of rotation from 10 m to infinity. It's a macro lens with about 360į rotation from 1:2 to infinity. Anyway, it's much better than, say, the Micro-Nikkor 85/2.8 PC.
Differently, the 135 Apo Sonnar has several degrees rotation from 10 m to infinity; this makes life easier when the camera is not on the tripod.


Sure, the MP100 has a longer total range of focus but it's hardly a macro lens. Yet it still has a longer throw to 0.7m than the Nokton 75/1.5.

Perhaps most people don't need a longer focus throw, but it's enough of an issue for me to not use the 75/1.5 or want to purchase the 75/1.9 instead. For a fast and sharp lens like the 75/1.5 for use on a rangefinder camera, I find it really frustrating. It's a pity, since I really like its optical performance.



Oct 02, 2023 at 12:52 AM
algrove
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #10 · p.34 #10 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


nehemiahphoto wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1738253/0



Thanks. Very extensive review.



Oct 02, 2023 at 10:01 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #11 · p.34 #11 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review




Leica M11 Nokton 75mm f/1.5 ASPH






Oct 07, 2023 at 04:40 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #12 · p.34 #12 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


hmzimelka wrote:
... the MP100 has a longer total range of focus but it's hardly a macro lens. ...




The Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar belongs to the same category of "macro" lenses that includes:

- Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5
- Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8
- Micro-Nikkor 105/4
- Micro-Nikkor Ai-S 105/2.8
- Micro-Nikkor Ai/Ai-S 200/4 IF
- Minolta MD Macro 50/3,5
- Minolta MD Macro 100/4
- Pentax 50/4 Macro
- Pentax-A 502.8 Macro
- Pentax 100/4 Macro
...
- Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8
- Leica Apo Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8
...
- Hasselblad Macro 120mm f/4 CFE Zeiss Makro-Planar
...
I think it's enough




Oct 07, 2023 at 06:54 AM
hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #13 · p.34 #13 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Ripolini wrote:


The Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar belongs to the same category of "macro" lenses that includes:

- Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5
- Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8
- Micro-Nikkor 105/4
- Micro-Nikkor Ai-S 105/2.8
- Micro-Nikkor Ai/Ai-S 200/4 IF
- Minolta MD Macro 50/3,5
- Minolta MD Macro 100/4
- Pentax 50/4 Macro
- Pentax-A 502.8 Macro
- Pentax 100/4 Macro
...
- Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8
- Leica Apo Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8
...
- Hasselblad Macro 120mm f/4 CFE Zeiss Makro-Planar
...
I think it's enough



By the original definition, a macro lens is one that has a reproduction ratio capable of 1:1 or greater.

But I guess close focusing is enough distinction for many manufacturers to tag the word macro to a lens without feeling guilty.
Luckily Nikon slips by this by calling theirs Micro-Nikkors.



Oct 07, 2023 at 07:57 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #14 · p.34 #14 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


hmzimelka wrote:
By the original definition, a macro lens is one that has a reproduction ratio capable of 1:1 or greater.


The only original definitions I'm aware of were the German DIN (Deutsche Industrie Normen) standards, dating back to many decades ago, stating that macrophotography starts at 1:1 reproduction ratio. German DIN standards have never been obeyed though, even by German companies (Zeiss & Leitz).
The same holds for Nikon in Japan: they give the "Micro-Nikkor" label to lenses as different as 1:2 MF macro lenses (55/3.5, 55/2.8, 105/4, 105/2.8, 200/4 IF, PC/PC-E 45 & 85), AF macro lenses going to 1:1 without accessories (AF/AF-S 60/2.8, AF/AF-S/Z MC 105/2.8 & 200/4 AF ED), the AF ED 70-180 going to 1:1.33.



Oct 07, 2023 at 09:10 AM
hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #15 · p.34 #15 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Leica M11 Nokton 75mm f/1.5 ASPH




Oct 07, 2023 at 10:43 AM
Malabito
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #16 · p.34 #16 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


hmzimelka wrote:

Leica M11 Nokton 75mm f/1.5 ASPH

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53240821501_a31aa5ff1f_b.jpg


Stunning image!




Oct 07, 2023 at 11:37 AM
TheEyesHaveIt
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #17 · p.34 #17 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


My longest lens right now for my M is a 50 Lux. I was contemplating getting a 90 Macro-Elmar for its super small size and the bonus macro ability, but I wonder if this 75 would be a better choice? I donít shoot beyond 50 often.


Oct 07, 2023 at 11:49 AM
hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #18 · p.34 #18 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Malabito wrote:
Stunning image!



Thank you



Oct 07, 2023 at 10:49 PM
hmzimelka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #19 · p.34 #19 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Leica M11 Nokton 75mm f/1.5 ASPH
ISO 64, 60sec, f/8, ND 3.0 + Pol




ISO 64, 1.7sec, f/1.4, ND 3.0 + Pol




Oct 08, 2023 at 04:50 AM
xpfloyd
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #20 · p.34 #20 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Well after all the images in this thread I think Iím going to have to add it to my 28 ultron ii on my M11. Wonderful images from this lens!


Oct 20, 2023 at 12:06 PM
1       2       3              33      
34
       35       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              33      
34
       35       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.