New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

rollsman4
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

What if I did NOT want to use Raw and just jpg from this camera. Is it foolish to spend the money to get jpg files MOST of the time. I would need RAW if I was shooting with Mixed lighting or very large prints. Just need some opinions. Thanks

Aug 03, 2019 at 10:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

What are you photographing, and what are you doing with the photographs?

Aug 03, 2019 at 11:06 PM
rollsman4
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

I am semi retired and would continue to shoot portraits and Family group shots and use it for my personal use
I dont shoot that many jobs anymore ( Now 73). I do use it on a bracket with flash and a diffuser and OCF as well
Thats pretty much it. Lets just say I would like to treat myself for all the years I have been shooting. Thanks

Aug 04, 2019 at 07:34 AM
buggz
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Shrug, I've always shot RAW+JPG with any camera that I've used.
That way you have the RAW data when wanted/needed, and can turn around the jpegs to give to family and friends.

Aug 04, 2019 at 08:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Well, that's an interesting question.

I don't resent anyone chasing their dreams, and if you are retired and owning this camera will fulfill a dream... who am I to second-guess you? It sounds like you may use its full capabilities (high MP, high quality raw image files, etc) to make large prints also? That is not clear from your post.

Dan

Edited on Aug 04, 2019 at 12:53 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2019 at 09:35 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Almost nobody actually needs a camera like this. I am a professional who uses bleeding-edge technique to squeeze every bit of performance from my gear, and you could still argue it doesn't make much difference in my final product.

It is foolish to acquire gear that you don't need and can't responsibly afford. But I buy a lot of stuff I don't need just because I enjoy it.

Aug 04, 2019 at 11:12 AM
rollsman4
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

I completely agree about living the dream even if its Not affordable. Its the WANT and NOT the Need.
I am going to wait for the prices to come down even more before I buy one used. When the New equipment comes out the prices usually drop so others can sell their equipment to get the Latest.

Aug 04, 2019 at 11:24 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Life is short. If you can afford it, go for it. Pending wife approval of course.

Aug 04, 2019 at 11:29 AM
rollsman4
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Agree. Wife is ok with that, I am lucky. Thanks Dennis

Aug 04, 2019 at 11:50 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

I thought a bit more about your question, and the following is a longer version of what I wrote earlier:

- - - - -

Well, that's an interesting question.

I don't resent anyone chasing their dreams, and if you are retired and owning this camera will fulfill a dream... who am I to second-guess you? It sounds like you may use its full capabilities (high MP, high quality raw image files, etc) to make large prints also? That is not clear from your post.

Having said that, if you were to ask me whether this camera will provide practical benefits to you, I'd need to know more since nothing in your original post really suggests that it will. It does seem odd that a person who mostly intends to shoot jpg would want such a camera. It at least makes one wonder if the driving factor is more that you'd like to own a very expensive thing than that you have some idea of how its capabilities would be advantageous to you.

I also wonder, given the rate at which cameras with new capabilities come out, whether this will seem like a dream-fulfilling camera in a year or two?

What system would it replace?

Finally, when it comes to questions like this one, I feel like the technical camera issue (should I shoot jpgs with this camera?) may be the only one that is strictly a photographic question. The elephant in the room is that this question isn't the most significant one. Looming in the background is that personal lifestyle question about "fulfilling dreams" and what might accomplish that. Unless you ask us to "go there" I will resist, at least beyond what I've written/implied above.

Dan

Aug 04, 2019 at 12:53 PM
rollsman4
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Thank you Dan for sharing your thoughts. Maybe I did not mention that I shoot jpg and Raw and only due PP as needed. This has always been my backup shooting in RA and jpg. I usually nail exposure right out of camera and yes a little tweak with exposure . I recall PP the Hassy files from the H4D-40 and I dreaded the time it took to upload my files. So I became a better photographer with Proper exposure as close as I could get it. I am at the age in my life that I wont be tempted to change cameras in years to come. I am currently 73 and have been shooting since 1971, I used Hassy MF film camera back in the day when it was easier than digital . I still keep busy with portraits and Group shots and Mainly PRO BONO. Thank you for your ear. Dennis

Aug 04, 2019 at 05:04 PM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

rollsman4 wrote:
What if I did NOT want to use Raw and just jpg from this camera. Is it foolish to spend the money to get jpg files MOST of the time. I would need RAW if I was shooting with Mixed lighting or very large prints. Just need some opinions. Thanks

I think shooting jpg is actually more like traditional photography. I would go for it if you are confirtable with it. I prefer to spend less time in front of a computer. And I don't do HDR or focus stacking because it isn't photography. So why not just shoot jpg and have fun!

Aug 05, 2019 at 03:21 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Definitely go for it. Less time fiddling with RAWs = more time shooting and sharing.

I guarantee you that at 73 I’ll buy anything my wife is ok with.

Aug 05, 2019 at 08:21 PM
rollsman4
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Hi Andrew, I agree. I hate the fact of spending too much time in PP I use my histogram and try to get as close to the correct exposure as I can.( jpg) Don't get me wrong I still shoot Raw + jpg just in case I need it. Thanks Dennis

Aug 05, 2019 at 08:23 PM
rollsman4
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GFX 50S Question on Jpg from this camera

Hi Liggy, My wife is use to my buying and selling Cameras. ( I think she gave up long time ago )

Aug 05, 2019 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.