New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com
Klaus Schroiff, at opticallimits.com, just posted his Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 review.

His conclusion:
"Optically it is decent - for such a lens - albeit it comes with a couple of carefully placed compromises. At the wide-end of the zoom range, it is quite sharp across the image frame when stopped down to medium aperture settings whereas the center performance remains superb at 75mm which is where you'd typically use a large aperture setting anyway. Thus the mainstream settings offer quality where usually needed and you will probably agree that most of the provided sample images actually look very decent. That being said, technically there are also obvious weaknesses when using the lens on a high megapixel camera. The corner performance isn't all that hot at large-aperture settings and for a sharp result across the frame you should stop down to f/8 or f/11. While you can certainly achieve decent object isolation via a shallow depth-of-field, the quality of the bokeh can be quite rough in difficult scenes - when shooting at f/2.8 at least."

Read entire review at opticallimits.com.

Order the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens for $879

B&H Photo | Amazon kit | Adorama

Tamron 28-75/2.8 FE Infinity test (Resolution & Contrast)

Aug 02, 2019 at 11:04 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

So, perhaps not a 'bag of primes' zoom as most first-party f/2.8 standard-zooms are (and Tamron's own DSLR 24-70/2.8 G2 largely is), but given the size, weight, and price, I can't say that I find the compromise too unnattractive!

The only real concern would be the ability of the AF to keep up with Sony's best algorithms as well as other systems that this lens will inevitably be ported to, and I understand that that's not part of the scope of Klaus' testing.

Aug 02, 2019 at 11:52 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

johnctharp wrote:
So, perhaps not a 'bag of primes' zoom as most first-party f/2.8 standard-zooms are (and Tamron's own DSLR 24-70/2.8 G2 largely is), but given the size, weight, and price, I can't say that I find the compromise too unnattractive!

The only real concern would be the ability of the AF to keep up with Sony's best algorithms as well as other systems that this lens will inevitably be ported to, and I understand that that's not part of the scope of Klaus' testing.

At infinity distance, the lens behaves very much alike his results at closer distance (Imatest). The 28-75/2.8 has very high resolution and contrast around the center area but with a noticeable drop in resolution off-axis. The transition zone is harsh making rendering structural and contrasty which is visible when shooting at mid-distance. Overall it's a decent zoom for the price, especially for those shooting landscapes where OOF rendering is not as relevant.

Aug 02, 2019 at 01:13 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

Fred Miranda wrote:
Overall it's a decent zoom for the price, especially for those shooting landscapes where OOF rendering is not as relevant.

I'm really thinking that, especially at the wider end of the zoom, and for portraiture where you're setting up the composition to avoid those rendering issues either by using narrow apertures or getting the subject well away from the background.

And as a 'walkaround zoom', most impressive. Getting good output means first getting to the location and then actually getting the shot, and in that context Tamron seems to have released a great lens.

Aug 02, 2019 at 01:47 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

johnctharp wrote:

The 'bag of primes' claim has been used for various zooms but it's relatively rare for that claim to be true, at least for zooms with focal length ranges greater than around 2x to 2.5x, and esp when copy variation is taken into account.

Aug 02, 2019 at 01:48 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

I am surprised at the marginal off center performance across the board. A lot of people really like this lens. A bad sample?

The OL test of the Sony 24-105, a lens I really like, is also none too good. I wonder why these two very popular lenses do so poorly.

Aug 02, 2019 at 02:01 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

johnctharp wrote:

Actually, I looked up the same site's 24-70 G2 review from last year and its MTF is worse. Different camera though (5DsR) - but that should actually benefit the G2 with the way Imatest works.

Aug 03, 2019 at 04:20 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

I have been using this lens profusely, mostly people photography and am very happy with it.. I rarely used it a 2.8, but 3.5 is very decent and at f4, when shooting groups...people at the edges are quite sharp...I often go to 5.6 for large groups, and , again, no problem. I have found the bokeh to be fine in most cases, although, if I really want soft backgrouds, I go to the 135 or 85. I really don't peep the corners. I can say it has been more consistent for me than my previous 24-105 f4 and better constrast than 24-70 gm's I have tried.

Aug 04, 2019 at 09:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

Lee Saxon wrote:
Actually, I looked up the same site's 24-70 G2 review from last year and its MTF is worse. Different camera though (5DsR) - but that should actually benefit the G2 with the way Imatest works.

I don't know what to say here, but I will point out that Klaus has warned against making comparisons between systems.

Aug 04, 2019 at 10:06 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

Lee Saxon wrote:

I don't know what to say here, but I will point out that Klaus has warned against making comparisons between systems.

Aug 04, 2019 at 10:06 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

I was pleasantly surprised how great this lens performs. Got it a few weeks ago. It feels a bit plasticky but at that price i just can't fault it. Sharp from 2.8, great colours, contrast and bokeh. I have replaced my Sony 24-105 with this lens.

Aug 06, 2019 at 08:26 AM
Sinasina
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

How does the build quality compare to a Nikon 16-35VR? (also a plastic-y lens)

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:13 AM
oahumike

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

milkod2001 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised how great this lens performs. Got it a few weeks ago. It feels a bit plasticky but at that price i just can't fault it. Sharp from 2.8, great colours, contrast and bokeh. I have replaced my Sony 24-105 with this lens.

Any regrets with this so far? Just ordered it off greentoe for 790 to replace my 24-105 as I wasn't getting the bokeh I wanted at closer distances.

Aug 31, 2019 at 03:22 AM
Michael Everet
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

I have the Tamron and desiring a zoom with more range, got the Sony 24-105 from BH yesterday. Maybe I don't have a good copy but the Tamron seems to outperform it throughout, even on the edges and corners. My tests were not very scientific and some contain images of people who probably don't want them published, so please don't ask for the test shots. One thing I noticed, a good bit of purple abberations on landscapes against the sky on the Tamron which disappears when you turn the Lightroom profile off.

I was surprised about the Sony, and can't decide whether to exchange it for another copy or just stay with the Tamron. The 2.8 is nice.

Aug 31, 2019 at 04:33 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

Lenstip also has recently reviewed this. They have similar things to say.

Aug 31, 2019 at 10:44 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD reviewed at opticallimits.com

It's a better lens than OL indicate, they are conducting fault finding as major elements of review content, some of little relevance to real world usage.

'..technically there are also obvious weaknesses..' 'technically'.

You can expand their sample images and make some judgments from them. Good colour, very decent bokeh, better than several recent primes in this focal length range.

Some of the issue behind the apparently dramatic fall-off in outer frames is down to the use of MTF50 in the Imatest methodology. From Zeiss guru Hubert Nasse:

"MTF curves shows us that all attempts to describe image quality with simple numbers have their limits and must be interpreted with caution: The MTF50 parameter is often used as a measure of image sharpness; the MTF50 is the spatial frequency at which the contrast transfer is 50%. For most image contents the subjective impression of sharpness depends on the contour definition. The contour definition is high when the curves are flat."

To try to cut through this technospeak, subjective sharpness is best if ALL spatial frequencies are high in micro-contrast, a question of balance between them; and MTF50 obscures the fact by presenting a single data measure. This summary measure does not take account of the performance of each of acutance (5-10lpmm), medium sized contents (20lpmm) and fine detail (40lpmm) and misleads to the extent lenses vary in these motifs. Use with caution, as Dr Nasse says.

Sep 01, 2019 at 12:12 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password