New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2019 · DPP locking up

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DPP locking up

I normally never use DPP but I have some specific images I need/want to open in DPP but for some odd reason it's locking up as soon as I try to move to any images beyond the timeline image icons along the bottom.
If I play with say the first several images, I can zoom in and out and make any adjustments I want. But as soon as I try to go to the end of the images or anything beyond what is shown in the timeline it locks completely up and I have to crash out.
I've tried using the arrow right key on my keyboard as well as the arrow right in the software. I've also tried grabbing the slide bar thingy to scroll over.

What is odd is this only happens inside this particular folder of images. It does not lock-up when I go into any other folder and scroll to any image. LR and PS have no issues reading all the images in this folder.

I've uninstalled my current version of DPP and downloaded and installed the latest version thinking this might fix the problem but it does the same thing and only inside this one folder.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on here? Could it possibly be because I have some PSD files in this folder and DPP is having trouble with reading them?

Dave

Aug 01, 2019 at 02:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DPP locking up

You could run chkdsk or similar app, to see if there's any corrupt files in the folder.

Aug 01, 2019 at 02:27 PM
fredmaurer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DPP locking up

Since you have installed a fresh copy of DPP, it seems the issue is within that particular folder. Have you removed some of the images from that folder to try and isolate the problem images? If you are running a Mac, try "Disk Utility", then run "First Aid" on the disk. As jcolwell suggested, I would then run "Disk Warrior", or similar program, to check the files and folders for damage and potential compatibility issues. Good Luck!

Aug 01, 2019 at 03:36 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DPP locking up

jcolwell wrote:
You could run chkdsk or similar app, to see if there's any corrupt files in the folder.

Thanks Jim, I'll give this a try.

---------------------------------------------

fredmaurer wrote:
Since you have installed a fresh copy of DPP, it seems the issue is within that particular folder. Have you removed some of the images from that folder to try and isolate the problem images? If you are running a Mac, try "Disk Utility", then run "First Aid" on the disk. As jcolwell suggested, I would then run "Disk Warrior", or similar program, to check the files and folders for damage and potential compatibility issues. Good Luck!

Thanks Fred. After I try Jim's suggestion (Win 10) and if that doesn't work then removing any edited TIFF or PSD files will be my next option.

Aug 01, 2019 at 04:05 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DPP locking up

According to the DPP-4 Manual, the program is only compatible with TIFF, JPEG., MOV, & Canon CR-- raw files.

If you save the PSD files as TIF files, in Photoshop, they should work properly in DPP.

Though PSD is a propriety Adobe file format, it is recognized in ON1 Photo RAW .

Aug 01, 2019 at 04:58 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DPP locking up

All processing programs I use hate folders with many images. That is because they are making thumbnails in the background which is a HUGE drain on resources.

Aug 01, 2019 at 05:34 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DPP locking up

DPP has been running really slow at times for me. I think another open program might be causing it. Having this problem with this computer a lot.

Also I need to try to re-boot every time, before using. I think it helps after its slowed down, too. Using a pretty recent version.

I'm not familiar with PSD files but tifs can really slow things down. I used to have to wait until DPP opened everything, or something like that, on an older version. If I opened the folder that had 100mb scans, it was a pain.

Aug 01, 2019 at 05:46 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DPP locking up

I feel like DPP is a speed demon after using LR Classic for the past couple years! DPP has been stable for me but usually don't use it for more than a couple hours in a stretch.

Aug 01, 2019 at 05:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DPP locking up

lighthound wrote:
I normally never use DPP but I have some specific images I need/want to open in DPP but for some odd reason it's locking up as soon as I try to move to any images beyond the timeline image icons along the bottom.
If I play with say the first several images, I can zoom in and out and make any adjustments I want. But as soon as I try to go to the end of the images or anything beyond what is shown in the timeline it locks completely up and I have to crash out.
I've tried using the arrow
...Show more

I have DPP on 7-8 Win 7 and 10 systems and it doesn't lock up or freeze.
I recall that some older versions of DPP did not like >~3200 images in a folder, but I don't recall that being an issue in several years. I would keep the PSDs somewhere else, yet they don't cause me lockups.

EBH

Aug 02, 2019 at 01:55 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DPP locking up

Like others, I think DPP is tripping over a file or files it can't digest.

I don't know what's in the bucket, but make a copy of same, and delete 5% of the suspect files upon every crash until you find a stable point.

If you end up with no files left, then it's probably the directory structure itself is corrupt. If that's the case, try working in reverse: copy 5% of the needed files into a new directory you create, until you hit a hitch.

If after all the above you still stall somewhere, try a different computer (hello friends!) with a copied directory.

If that should hang up...go buy a lottery ticket you unicorn you.

Aug 02, 2019 at 02:00 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DPP locking up

Well, I tried the chkdsk to scan all images in that folder and nothing was corrupt.
I then moved the PSD files out of this folder and tried DPP again but it locked up still.
So I then copied the 6 images that I wanted to open in DPP in the first place over to this same new folder that had the PSD files and DPP opened and performed perfectly fine without locking up. It just ignores the PSD files and doesn't show them which is what I expected it would/should do.

So this tells me that there is simply too many images (800 CR2's) inside this folder and as some of you folks have suggested, DPP is choking on them for some reason. It's not like I'm trying to display all of them at the same time in a grid or even more than 10 or so images along the bottom timeline area.

So as long as I copy or move any files, that I want to open in DPP over to a seperate folder, I can at least work on specific image files so all is not lost. A major PITA to have to do this, but at least it works.

Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions. I can use this workaround for my limited DPP use.

Dave

Aug 02, 2019 at 08:55 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DPP locking up

lighthound wrote:
So this tells me that there is simply too many images (800 CR2's) inside this folder

I'm pretty sure that the number of files in the folder is not the issue. I archive 1000 Canon 5DS *.CR2 files per directory and even though the file size is around 60 MB each, I never had a problem with DPP. The program has become much slower ever since they introduced the filter bar, but a crash usually only happens (at least in my experience) if you have a corrupt file in the directory.

Win10 64bit, 16 GB RAM, DPP 4.10.20

-Phil

Aug 02, 2019 at 09:48 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DPP locking up

lighthound wrote:
Well, I tried the chkdsk to scan all images in that folder and nothing was corrupt.
I then moved the PSD files out of this folder and tried DPP again but it locked up still.
So I then copied the 6 images that I wanted to open in DPP in the first place over to this same new folder that had the PSD files and DPP opened and performed perfectly fine without locking up. It just ignores the PSD files and doesn't show them which is what I expected it would/should do.

So this tells me that there is simply too many images
...Show more

800 files is nothing. I just looked a folder with 3000 5DsR files (200GB) without lockups. That was with a 4.5 year old computer and only 64GB of RAM. The only bug I've found occurs when adding lenses to the DLO database. The DLO update module freezes DPP if there is a slow internet connection. Of course adding lenses is not something one does frequently.

EBH

Aug 02, 2019 at 11:26 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DPP locking up

It would be nice to find the "magic bullet" as to what may or may not be causing the slowdown. And it appears that it is a problem with some computers, but not others. Mine works fairly well.

Aug 03, 2019 at 09:35 AM
yelloguy2
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DPP locking up

If you are on Windows use another lightweight file browser. My preferred choice on Windows is Fast Stone. From there, you can open specific images in DPP.

Not ideal, but could work in some situations.

Aug 05, 2019 at 06:31 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DPP locking up

Gochugogi wrote:
I feel like DPP is a speed demon after using LR Classic for the past couple years! DPP has been stable for me but usually don't use it for more than a couple hours in a stretch.

LrC 8.4 might change that perception somewhat as it can more fully utilise the graphics hardware.

Aug 23, 2019 at 02:37 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DPP locking up

Alan321 wrote:
LrC 8.4 might change that perception somewhat as it can more fully utilise the graphics hardware.

Actually I have LR Classic 8.4 with "accelerated" features. Maybe slightly better with a bunch of adjustments but still really pokey compared to using PS or DPP. But any improvement, no matter how small, is welcome at this point.

Aug 23, 2019 at 03:12 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DPP locking up

EB-1 wrote:
800 files is nothing. I just looked a folder with 3000 5DsR files (200GB) without lockups. That was with a 4.5 year old computer and only 64GB of RAM. The only bug I've found occurs when adding lenses to the DLO database. The DLO update module freezes DPP if there is a slow internet connection. Of course adding lenses is not something one does frequently.

EBH

"Only 64 GB" shows your perspective which is probably not representative. I think memory is a real problem but you may not see it if you have plenty of RAM (on expensive notebooks even now 8 GB is still relatively common).

My experience with DPP (which is my primary RAW processing program) is very different and I think it is due to available memory. On my old mini-pc with Win7 and just 4 GB, DPP3 runs fine unless there are over 1000 or so images in the file folder. On the same computer DPP4 initially was very prone to hang after the first few actions, irrespective of what I was doing; and even if it got that far it would hang processing the first RAW file. DPP4 only works if I close down all other demanding applications like webbrowser, email program etc. and keep the amount of files within limits and certainly way below 1000. It also helps to do batch processing and close down the program itself to speed up things.

Even when I optimize everything the general interface is at least 10-20x slower than in DPP3 for exactly the same files. It is obvious to me that DPP4 is an extremely wasteful program regarding resources, due to bad programming. Lightroom doesn't run well with my computer either but it doesn't "hang", and while Photoshop CS gets really slow with complex operations like lots of layers it normally works pretty well. Difficult to say what the minimum requirement for DPP is, but 4GB is clearly not enough and it would not surprise me if even with 8 GB it hangs in certain conditions.

Edited on Aug 23, 2019 at 03:55 PM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2019 at 03:49 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DPP locking up

yelloguy2 wrote:
If you are on Windows use another lightweight file browser. My preferred choice on Windows is Fast Stone. From there, you can open specific images in DPP.

Not ideal, but could work in some situations.

thanks, interesting idea that I never tried. My main problem with DPP4 is the terrible file browser and slow interface. I use Faststone (very convenient for just extracting the low quality embedded jpeg, if you only need something for the web etc.) and using specific RAW images from there in DPP sounds perfect.

Aug 23, 2019 at 03:51 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DPP locking up

I used to have weird crashes with DPP3.x with large numbers of files. This was a problem for ten years, Mac or PC. DPP4.x on the other hand has been great. I'm currently editing a 1200 image folder.

MacOS 10.11, 16GB memory, quad Xeon old Mac Pro

Aug 24, 2019 at 09:06 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.