New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

Edax

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

According to Wikipedia F/1.2 is on both half stop and one-third stop scales:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

Aug 08, 2019 at 03:48 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

eke2k6 wrote:
https://www.slrlounge.com/canon-vs-nikon-showdown-battle-top-85mm-lenses/

Have a good look-see, then re-evaluate your light years argument.

I dont need to re-evaluate. Try shooting with a 1.2 at 1.2.
I think your post and the others above is pretty typical of Sony guys(sorry to generalize).
Its about specs and lines of info per inch like an ad for a Hyundai.
If you cant measure it it doesnt mean anything.
Isnt 1.2 only 1/3 of a stop etc.
Mmm thats not the point its not about speed its about depth of field and how dramatically focus drops off.
Sorry you cant measure the dreamy look you get with a 1.2 up close.
You cant measure it but you sure can see it...with every image.
Its ability to isolate is unmatched and no amount of claiming a 1.4 can do what a 1.2 can will ever actually stack up when it comes to money shots.
You can still get nice shots with a 1.4 but the look is different to a 1.2.
Thats why its been the go to for years for dreamy bokeh ultra shallow dof images.

Aug 09, 2019 at 09:04 AM
eke2k6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

dehowie wrote:
I think your post and the others above is pretty typical of Sony guys(sorry to generalize).
Mmm thats not the point its not about speed its about depth of field and how dramatically focus drops off.
Its ability
...Show more

😉. For the record, I only use it because I got it for a steal. The sigma 85 art has both better bokeh and sharpness.

Aug 09, 2019 at 09:20 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

dehowie wrote:
I think your post is pretty typical of Sony guys.
Its about specs and lines of info per inch.
You cant measure it but you sure can see it...

I'm happy Canon has a loyal fan and a special need tog like you. We are here to celebrate what Sony has accomplished in the short 6 years. The system still has many lenses missing from the decades old Canikon portfolio. They are still at it though. So far, we are getting 10 new FE lenses this year. Soon enough...

Aug 09, 2019 at 09:26 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

Edax wrote:
According to Wikipedia F/1.2 is on both half stop and one-third stop scales:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

Yeah, but Fred's math on the previous page is correct and more precise. Exactly 1/3 of a stop less than f/1.00 is f/1.26 and exactly a half a stop less than f/1.00 is 1.19. All of that is way more precision than we need, however. Yeah, Wikipedia should probably be changed to reflect proper rounding, but it really doesn't matter in any practical sense. Something just a tiny bit more than a third (i.e., .36 instead of .33) does round properly to 1.2, so in my view the Wikipedia entry is so close to true it isn't worth changing.

Aug 09, 2019 at 09:38 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

dehowie wrote:
Its ability
...Show more

I agree with you just as long as it is understood that dreamy bokeh and ultra shallow DOF images are at least as much a product of how close you are to the subject and how far the subject is from the background. Yes, f/1.2 does give shallower depth of field than f/1.4, but often moving one step closer to the subject or moving both you and the subject two steps away from the background have a much bigger effect on depth of field and dreamy bokeh (especially with 50mm and 85mm lenses) than changing the aperture from f/1.2 to f/1.4. Now those aren't always options and in those cases f/1.2 is particularly handy, but they often are options, and although widest aperture is certainly an important characteristic in a lens it is not the only characteristic. Things like spherical aberrations, chromatic aberrations, field curvature, sharpness, coma, autofocus accuracy, autofocus speed, quality of the bokeh (as opposed to quantity), etc. all matter as well. Just because a lens has a faster aperture that does not make it better, and I would submit that the Sony GM 85 f/1.4 and the Sony/Zeiss 50 f/1.4 perform quite a bit better than the EF 85 f/1.2L and EF 50 f/1.2L on a number of these other factors that also matter. For you max aperture might be the most important feature of a lens and that might lead you reasonably to pick the EF f/1.2 lenses over anything that Sony offers, but for others AF accuracy and speed (as an example) might be far more important and that might lead them reasonably to prefer the Sony f/1.4 lenses over the Canon EF f/1.2 lenses.

Aug 09, 2019 at 09:52 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

I'm not sure that having a couple of dozen semi-compatible junk-brand 50mm lenses available for the E-mount system is anything Sony would want to brag about...

Aug 09, 2019 at 09:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vdo1
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

molson wrote:
... junk-brand...

Guess you're ripe for joining the Leica club.

Aug 09, 2019 at 10:09 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

vdo1 wrote:
Guess you're ripe for joining the Leica club.

Hardly... but it never ceases to amaze me how people get drawn to buying cheap junk just because it's cheap. I guess it's our modern Amazon/Walmart/Dollar Store culture.

Aug 09, 2019 at 10:26 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

molson wrote:
Hardly... but it never ceases to amaze me how people get drawn to buying cheap junk just because it's cheap. I guess it's our modern Amazon/Walmart/Dollar Store culture.

I guess you only buy limited edition camera gear because it is more expensive than regular products from stores where you know it will be more expensive?

Aug 09, 2019 at 11:00 AM
eke2k6
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

hiepphotog wrote:
I'm happy Canon has a loyal fan and a special need tog like you.

That's mean and unnecessary. You can disagree with his views without the vitriol.

Aug 09, 2019 at 02:39 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

eke2k6 wrote:
That's mean and unnecessary. You can disagree with his views without the vitriol.

How did that come across as mean? He certainly loves his Canon gear and he definitely sees the difference between 1.2 and 1.4 as night and day and actually needs a f/1.2 lens. You read too much into it.

Aug 09, 2019 at 03:05 PM
Daran
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

dehowie wrote:

That's just nuts. Of course you can measure it. And the notion that 1.2 dramatically falls off whereas 1.4 does not is just ridiculous. Are you sure you actually know what you are talking about? Reducing your distance by only 10% has more effect on your DOF than going from f1.4 to f1.2.

The difference is light years.

Never mind. Sorry to feed a troll...

Aug 09, 2019 at 03:27 PM
glowrider
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Sony E-mount with 52 Sony lenses + numerous third party options

DoF calculator:

85 1.2 at 5 on FF sensor = .07 ft
85 1.4 at 5 on FF sensor = .08 ft

85 1.2 at 10 on FF sensor = .29 ft
85 1.4 at 10 on FF sensor = .35 ft

85 1.2 at 17.5 on FF sensor = .91 ft
85 1.4 at 17.5 on FF sensor = 1.08 ft

85 1.2 at 25 on FF sensor = 1.86 ft
85 1.4 at 25 on FF sensor = 2.22 ft

Moving the distances around yields more or less similar double digit percentage differences. So, sure, there is a substantial percent difference in the fall-off but you need some serious working distance before we see big diffs in the literal DoF.

A quarter is about .07 thick, for reference.

Aug 12, 2019 at 08:36 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password