New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Old Lenses, Field Curvature, & Mirrorless AF

amacal1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Lenses, Field Curvature, & Mirrorless AF

Does anyone have any experience with older AF lenses, ones that have a reputation for good IQ but perhaps not the best off-center sharpness, being used on new mirrorless cameras? I'm wondering if you can expect some increased sharpness with off-center subject simply because the camera is achieving more accurate focus while taking field curvature into account. Obviously if field-curvature is an issue with such lenses, you still can't expect perfect sharpness across the entire frame. But, if you have something like a subject's face framed closer to a corner, you may achieve significantly better results on a mirrorless cam than might have been possible on a DLSR.

For reference, I have a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L and I love the way it renders. It's become a very affordable lens lately, compared to the mk. II version. Despite that, absolute sharpness off-center is definitely not one of its strengths. I have more than a few images that look very good, but faces framed off center show some serious lack of sharpness.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.