New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviewed at opticallimits.com

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviewed at opticallimits.com

Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM review at opticallimits.com
Klaus Schroiff, at opticallimits.com, just posted his FE 85/1.4 GM review.

His conclusion:
"The Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM is an excellent example of what a lens should look like in this class - albeit it is still not perfect. It is very sharp at f/1.4 and outstanding when stopped down to medium aperture settings. Lateral CAs are very low even without image auto-correction. The quality of the bokeh is among the best that what we have seen in this lens class. The background bokeh is especially silky. It is a bit unfortunate that bokeh fringing is not controlled. To be fair though - very few lenses are capable of doing that (the Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 for instance). The RAW vignetting is high at f/1.4 and the amount of pincushion distortion is also a bit more than expected. However, once again, image auto-correction comes to the rescue so you won't really notice this in processed images.

The build quality is superb thanks to high-quality materials, weather-sealing, and smooth control rings. A specialty is the dedicated aperture ring so you can choose whether to use this one or the dial on the camera. The aperture ring can also be de-clicked for a smooth adjustment when shooting video. The AF is fast and silent but it's no speed demon in this respect.

Overall, if you are in need for the extra speed and/or just want the best native AF lens in this class, the Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM - highly recommended! "

Read entire review at opticallimits.com.

Sony FE 85/1.4 GM is available at: B&H Photo, Amazon, Adorama

Or used via FM Buy and Sell board

Resolution test: FE 85/1.4 GM via opticallimits.com

Specular Highlights rendering test: FE 85/1.4 GM via opticallimits.com

Jul 30, 2019 at 03:56 PM
Lucinda
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviewed at opticallimits.com

In terms of IQ, this is one of the best lenses I have shot with, it has the mojo. I love the way it renders.... I will always have a copy of this one...

Jul 30, 2019 at 09:36 PM
Faraday
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviewed at opticallimits.com

Well he took his time to review it

I will always keep this lens; the rendering is superb. "Mojo" is a great description. If I could find a portrait lens near this level that was smaller with lightning fast AF.....

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviewed at opticallimits.com

elizabeth77 wrote:
Well he took his time to review it .

Better late than never!

Jul 31, 2019 at 06:41 PM
dshao1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviewed at opticallimits.com

Thanks Fred for the update. Im really glad to see the 85/1.4 GM get tested as I only like comparing results when conducted by the same person/organization as I expect there to be more consistency through using the same equipment and methodology.

Now if they could go back even further in time, Id love to see them test the 50ZA/1.4 :-). And also if OL can test the 24 and 135 GMs. relatively soon (Thank you OL!)

Jul 31, 2019 at 07:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviewed at opticallimits.com

dshao1 wrote:
Thanks Fred for the update. Im really glad to see the 85/1.4 GM get tested as I only like comparing results when conducted by the same person/organization as I expect there to be more consistency through using the same equipment and methodology.

Now if they could go back even further in time, Id love to see them test the 50ZA/1.4 :-). And also if OL can test the 24 and 135 GMs. relatively soon (Thank you OL!)

I think so. It's nice to see how the FE 85/1.4 GM fares at portrait distances instead of just infinity. I thought it was a fair review.

Jul 31, 2019 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password