New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · ON1 2019.5

Nick Birkett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ON1 2019.5

I searched for discussions about ON1 and didn't find much.

Has anyone got experience with the ON1 2019.5 package? How focused is it on AI and presets for editing? If you want, can you still use sliders, etc as in LR/PS?

Jul 29, 2019 at 08:18 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ON1 2019.5

Just bought it as I'm pissed off with Luminar coming out with v4 when v3 still has issues. Seems to be great from my 2 days with it (and watching many Youtube videos). I've got my double watermarks set up already (logo and signature) something that is not at all easy to do in L3.

The Print, Re-Size and Export modules are very impressive. Far better than L3 or LR.

Yes they have sliders for everything. You don't have to use AI - your choice but it looks great for, say, masking.

Aug 01, 2019 at 08:31 AM
bluloo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ON1 2019.5

Bought it. Am unable to use it because of an unfixed bug (heavy vignetting on images from several lenses)

Aug 01, 2019 at 06:20 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ON1 2019.5

bluloo wrote:
Bought it. Am unable to use it because of an unfixed bug (heavy vignetting on images from several lenses)

Which lenses ? I haven't seen that bug yet on the few images I've processed.

Aug 02, 2019 at 01:24 AM
bluloo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ON1 2019.5

Sony ZA 50 F1.4 is the one I submitted the bug report for.

Saw a similar vignette on other lens images while scrolling through images via the program, but didn't investigate further (so it may or may not be related, a legitimate bug etc).

Frogfish wrote:
Which lenses ? I haven't seen that bug yet on the few images I've processed.

Aug 02, 2019 at 10:07 AM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ON1 2019.5

Nick, I’m an experienced user of On1 for many years and would be happy to opine. Please post your specific questions or pm me.

Aug 02, 2019 at 11:56 AM
Nick Birkett
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ON1 2019.5

No specific questions. I'm a LR/PS user at present but am looking around at other alternatives. Some folks had suggested I look at ON1. I was just interested to learn what people thought about it. One specific concern was whether it was too strongly focused on presets/AI for image processing.

Aug 02, 2019 at 12:00 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ON1 2019.5

Fair question and I am happy to provide some overall impressions. First you can download a trial version and play with it for 30 days. There are a tremendous number of videos and tutorials out there. Originally, it was more modular and plug-in based program and over the years it has transformed into a stand alone DAM. One can still use it as a plug in, though considering it’s capabilities and intent it is somewhat self defeating. You can look at the features and distinctions on the website but in essence, it would be positioned somewhere between LR and PS. It’s strength is primarily a straightforward, non-destructive workflow and it’s weaknesses are that it has high processing/gpu requirements and can be buggy. It offers many more features than LR and doesn’t require importing/cataloguing for editing though those features are available. It offers both On1 and camera profiles, though one can not import custom ones. The layering and adjustment features as well as “filters” are robust and offer approximately 3/4 of what photoshop does but it is lacking in the higher end features such as creating content aware fill (it does have content aware brushes) and some of the adjustments do not have as many options as they would in their counterpart in PS. The layering and masking tools are robust and efficient.

That being said, I find the workflow is fast and efficient and I don’t have to hop around between LR and PS as I did in the old days and it offers the best of both. Can you produce professional results with it? Absolutely though if you are an illustrator, this is not the program for you. There are several other quirks namely the latest release screwed up Wacom compatibility on Windoze machines, the export can be wonky, the print module is rudimentary as are NR. For me, all of this is offset by the pleasure of the workflow and the non destructive nature of the editing. If you want to get in the weeds a bit more, I’ll be happy to do so though keep in mind that your best bet is to watch a few tutorials and try it yourself.

Aug 02, 2019 at 06:31 PM
Nick Birkett
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ON1 2019.5

Very helpful comments and insights. I'm not into illustration/design; the focus in on photo processing. I'll explore some the things you suggest.

Aug 02, 2019 at 08:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.