Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · LAST CALL: SF Bay Area — Free Epson 7900 printer (See details)

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LAST CALL: SF Bay Area — Free Epson 7900 printer (See details)

I have had an Epson 7900 for about a decade, but it is (as is inevitable) developing clogs that interfere with my work. I'm going to replace it with a 44" printer very soon.

I'll give the old printer away for free to anyone who thinks they could use it and who is willing to take it off my hands. It is in the South San Francisco Bay Area.

Who would want such a thing?

1. A person who is willing to replace the print head. This is not an inexpensive proposition unless you have connections or some source for the components that is less expensive than the list price Epson cost. (That cost is typically about the cost of a new printer!)

2. A person who is interested in trying to adapt the printer for monochrome piezo printing. A printer with some clogged ink channels can work fine for this, since many of the piezo printing systems do not use all of the ink channels.

3. A person who simply wants some free ink/maintenance cartridges! The printer has a full set of cartridges installed — on average they are about half full. Plus I have a couple of new, unused cartridges and a new, unused maintenance cartridge. I'll have no use for those with the new printer, and it is possible that the value of the cartridges might be enough to make it worth your time to take the printer and dispose of it. The value of the cartridges is probably roughly $700-$800. (They also work in other Epson printers. The ink cartridges work in Stylus Pro 7890, 7900, 9890, 9900, and the maintenance cartridge works in Stylus Pro 4000, 4800, 4880, 7600, 7800, 7880, 7890, 7900, 9600, 9800, 9880, 9890, 9900, 11880.)

4. Someone who thinks it would be entertaining to try to clear the clogged channels. I think it is unlikely, but you never know... :-)

If there are no takers... the printer probably ends up at the dump or at a recycler.

If you are interested or have questions... reply here and/or PM me. And soon... this thing may only be here for a few more days.

Dan

Edited on Aug 01, 2019 at 08:51 AM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2019 at 02:04 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LAST CALL: SF Bay Area — Free Epson 7900 printer (See details)

I hauled mine to the landfill when the printheads needed replacing. Too expensive to fix as you know

Jul 29, 2019 at 02:18 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LAST CALL: SF Bay Area — Free Epson 7900 printer (See details)

DougDolde wrote:
I hauled mine to the landfill when the printheads needed replacing. Too expensive to fix as you know

That may well be the fate of this one, though before it goes to the dump I'll see if any local recyclers will take it. I hate throwing away something that may have some value to someone — I'd rather give it away if possible!

I think that the folks most likely to be interested in such a thing are:

- folks who think it is worth their time to haul it off... and come away with about $800 worth of cartridges.

- folks who want to convert it to piezo printing. (Lot's of "spent" inkjet printers end up being used for that.)

But, yes, the cost of getting the head replaced is essentially the same as the cost of buying a new printer!

Jul 29, 2019 at 02:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LAST CALL: SF Bay Area — Free Epson 7900 printer (See details)

One last call on this...

The new P9000 gets set up today and then removing the 7900 becomes a top priority. If no one is interested (via FM or several other channels) I'll pull the remaining ink cartridges and have it hauled away soon.

See the first message for details.

Dan

Aug 01, 2019 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.