New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

amacal1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

I'm coming from having Yongnuo manual speedlights, and I'm considering picking up something with TTL for greater flexibility. It's hard to ignore the Godox AD200 as pretty much the perfect all-around off camera flash.

I understand that it utilizes a modeling lamp with some accessories, but the info isn't as easy to find as I would have thought. Can anyone clear it up a little for me.

1) I understand that it has a modeling lamp as part of the zoom head (speedlight head). This doesn't seem terribly useful, as this head is the least likely to be used while in a softbox or other modifier. Does the modeling lamp brightness correspond to flash output as you would expect a real strobe modeling lamp?

2) I understand that the bare bulb head does not have a modeling lamp. Correct?

3) I understand that the round head has a modeling lamp. Correct? Does the modeling lamp brightness correspond to flash output as you would expect a real strobe modeling lamp?

4) I understand that the dual-strobe bare bulb accessory has a modeling lamp that is powered by the AD200. Does the modeling lamp brightness correspond to flash output as you would expect a real strobe modeling lamp?

5) I understand that there are some 3rd party accessories that add modeling lamps for the bare bulb. Most (if not all) are self-powered, but are there any that are powered by the flash and have the lamp brightness correspond to flash output?

Jul 28, 2019 at 04:09 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

I would give up hope on using the built-in modeling lamp on the AD200's various fresnel heads, and yes the bare bulb does not have a modeling light.

The LED modeling lamps in both the dual head and single head config, as well as the lamp in the AD600 are nowhere near the output of a standard halogen modeling lamp that most are familiar with in your run of the mill paul c buff strobe, and they shut off after about 15 mins if I recall correctly.

If you must have a modeling light, velcroing on a small but powerful flashlight would be my go to, but again you're still not going to get anywhere near the output of a halogen modeling lamp. Even the relatively high powered LED modeling lamp on my profoto B10 isn't nearly as powerful as the one in my D2s. It's just the trade off you make having such a small battery powered strobe.

Jul 28, 2019 at 07:13 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

sungphoto wrote:
I would give up hope on using the built-in modeling lamp on the AD200's various fresnel heads, and yes the bare bulb does not have a modeling light.

The LED modeling lamps in both the dual head and single head config, as well as the lamp in the AD600 are nowhere near the output of a standard halogen modeling lamp that most are familiar with in your run of the mill paul c buff strobe, and they shut off after about 15 mins if I recall correctly.

If you must have a modeling light, velcroing on a small but powerful flashlight would
...Show more

Can you adjust the power of the modeling lamp to try and simulate your lighting ratios?

Jul 28, 2019 at 08:24 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

amacal1 wrote:
Can you adjust the power of the modeling lamp to try and simulate your lighting ratios?

No - it seriously is barely visible unless you're in a dark room, and only has an on/off setting.

Jul 28, 2019 at 08:36 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

sungphoto wrote:
No - it seriously is barely visible unless you're in a dark room, and only has an on/off setting.

Well, that's very disappointing.

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:40 PM
1bwana1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

The modeling lamp on the AD200 is too weak to be of any use. Don't buy one if a modeling lamp is a top priority. Other than that it is a fantastic system.

In fact, most modeling lamps never get close to the output from their flashes. If you want to see your setup, at shooting power, and do your ratios that way, I suggest you buy a constant light system.

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:35 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

1bwana1 wrote:
The modeling lamp on the AD200 is too weak to be of any use. Don't buy one if a modeling lamp is a top priority. Other than that it is a fantastic system.

In fact, most modeling lamps never get close to the output from their flashes. If you want to see your setup, at shooting power, and do your ratios that way, I suggest you buy a constant light system.

I wouldn't expect them to get close to the actual power output of the flash, but I would expect to be able to dim them in some proportional amount. Do I take your answer to mean that the AD200 modeling lights are a fixed output brightness, and do not dim to match the proportion of flash power?

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:34 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

1bwana1 wrote:

I wouldn't expect them to get close to the actual power output of the flash, but I would expect to be able to dim them in some proportional amount. Do I take your answer to mean that the AD200 modeling lights are a fixed output brightness, and do not dim to match the proportion of flash power?

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:34 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

amacal1 wrote:

Even if you could change the brightness (which you can't as I've already mentioned), I don't really know what utility that function would have unless the light was bare and about a half foot from the subject in a dimly lit room. I believe the LED modeling lamps in the round and square fresnel heads is less than 5 watts. It's apples vs oranges comparing an LED lamp to halogen, but generally plug-in strobes have modeling lamps with halogen bulbs in the 120-250 watt range.

I personally just set my modeling lamps on my profotos (which are 120 watt if I recall correctly on the D2) to full non-proportional and only use them as a positioning aid (extremely useful when you're photographing someone with glasses, or when you're using hard light where the sweet spot is inches in size, or when I'm feathering). A light meter or just a test shot is a much better tool to set your lighting ratios in my experience.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:04 AM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

amacal1 wrote:

No I mean that the AD200 modeling lamp is too weak to be useful for pretty much anything. Possibly, in a very dark room, you might be able use them to see where your shadows would fall.

On the AD200 they are on/off, no power adjustment.

What you need is a good light meter, and some time invested in learning how to use it with whatever lighting system you end up choosing.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

Thank you all for your input.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:50 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

Modeling lamps used to be more critical back when we were using film and needed to make accurate predictions. But, with digital, you basically have limitless polaroids so the idea of a modeling light really is that's it's not needed. Take test shots, if you don't like something, make adjustments.

Jul 29, 2019 at 01:43 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

pasblues wrote:
Modeling lamps used to be more critical back when we were using film and needed to make accurate predictions. But, with digital, you basically have limitless polaroids so the idea of a modeling light really is that's it's not needed. Take test shots, if you don't like something, make adjustments.

That's kind of what I do now, but I've bumped into issues with that and trying to move quickly. I don't do enough portrait lighting to have a strong "mind's eye" for it. I don't do enough to warrant full studio strobes in addition to speedlights, so I was hoping the AD200 would do enough of both to satisfy me. It very well may, at least more than most things on the market, but I see that a modeling lamp isn't one of its strengths.

Jul 29, 2019 at 02:07 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

amacal1 wrote:
That's kind of what I do now, but I've bumped into issues with that and trying to move quickly. I don't do enough portrait lighting to have a strong "mind's eye" for it. I don't do enough to warrant full studio strobes in addition to speedlights, so I was hoping the AD200 would do enough of both to satisfy me. It very well may, at least more than most things on the market, but I see that a modeling lamp isn't one of its strengths.

Modeling lights are definitely a workflow aid when you're trying to work fast, regardless of your skill level. That said, even the most powerful modeling lights are useful primarily indoors, so if you shoot more outdoors they're not very useful.

The AD200 is kind of like the leatherman of strobes. It can do almost everything decently, is a great value, and a great strobe to learn with, but can't compete with a dedicated studio strobe when it comes to modeling lights.

What problem specifically are you trying to solve? Are you trying to tune your catch light position or strobe position? If it's the former, one trick is simply asking the subject if they can see the surface of the modifier without turning/tilting their head. Angle of incidence of camera/modifier/subject will do the rest, unless the subject has very small eyes or have prominent eyelids (common especially with older people). If it's the latter, honestly just getting a mannequin head and playing with different modifier positions will help you "see light" better longer term than a modeling light.

Jul 29, 2019 at 05:06 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

FWIW: The only LED model lamp in the Godox/Flashpoint line that is equivalent to a decent(150/250 watt) halogen modelling lamp is in the AD600Pro(38 watts) and AD400Pro(30 watts). My Godox AD600Pro reads +/-2/3 of a stop brighter than my 250 watt model lamps in my Speedotron 102 head, both mounted in a Chimera XS Pro Soft Box.

Jul 29, 2019 at 06:01 PM
wittyphrase
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

Iíll double check when I get home, but I think the round head for the AD200 has two power settings. Itís splitting hairs though because as someoneís already mentioned itís really too weak to do anything useful.

Jul 31, 2019 at 03:59 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

Thanks for the info, everyone. I decided to bide my time and wait to see where the market goes in the next year or two while I dip my toes gently into the world of TTL off camera use. The AD200 has dropped very little in price, even for used. Yongnuo is stepping up the competition on the cheap end with an AD200 clone. Either way, I got 2 back to back deals on some YN 600ex-rts and a YN-e3-rt. For right around $100 I have a set of wireless off camera TTL speedlights plus tx. I'll play around a little while I learn and decide where I want to move next. If or when I decide to dump the YN hear I just bought, I doubt I'll lose money.

Aug 07, 2019 at 08:16 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

The H200R Round head has 3 brightness settings, but it's not useful unless the room is dark.

Sep 16, 2019 at 04:29 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

Never tried modeling lamp on my AD600 or the AD200s. Never felt a need and even if I needed, they wouldn't do much, specially on AD200.

Sep 16, 2019 at 07:37 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · AD200 Modeling Lamp Options

Not sure if you have seen or looked at this, but the Godox AD-B2 bracket has a light which is WAY brighter than the one in the regular Fresnel head. The bracket has one light for each AD-200 so if you have two attached you can get some pretty bright light from it, plus you keep the flash bulb (or both if you want)

Sep 27, 2019 at 09:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password