New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Flash focus assist on CAnon Eos R

akriegsfeld
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash focus assist on CAnon Eos R

Hi everyone,

Do any of you out there know if there is a way to get the focus assist beam of the hot shoe flash
to work on a mirror less camera. ( EOS R or M5 ). I have tried the Canon 580 EX2 and the Flashpoint flashes. No luck.

Am I trying to do something that doesn't exit?

Thanks,

Alan

Jul 28, 2019 at 09:43 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash focus assist on CAnon Eos R

Edited on Jul 28, 2019 at 10:36 AM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:05 AM
akriegsfeld
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash focus assist on CAnon Eos R

I know it will work in one shot mode on a DSLR, I can't get it to work in anymode on a mirror less camera. I was wondering if a special flash is needed

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:35 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash focus assist on CAnon Eos R

akriegsfeld wrote:
I know it will work in one shot mode on a DSLR, I can't get it to work in anymode on a mirror less camera. I was wondering if a special flash is needed

Unfortunately, even if the AF grid beam worked, it wouldn't help in terms of acquiring focus with a mirrorless camera (regardless of the brand, ie this is not a canon thing). Same thing happens with Sony, Nikon, Fuji, etc because the AF grid beam is specifically designed to work with the off-chip AF sensor on a DSLR. This is one of the reasons why I keep my DSLRs for event work specifically.

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just a limitation with mirrorless technology right now. Some wedding photographers that use only mirrorless cameras work around this by using constant LEDs, but obviously that introduces issues in terms of candids as you're shining a blinding light into their eyes.

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.