FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

KlausJH

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

technic wrote:
Does any RX-100VI owner have experience using the camera for macro/closeup shots, and compared quality to a real macro lens? I would like a compact camera (RX10 is too big...) that can take good pictures of dragonflies, butterflies and other small critters. I'm aware of the limitations of the small sensor in less than good light, I'm mainly interested in optical quality (at the long end of the zoom range, for closeup work). I don't expect the same quality as a DSLR/ML camera with true macro lens, but hopefully good enough for a high resolution image or print without requiring
...Show more

The RX100M6 is not the best camera for macro work. Around 50mm FL I found the optimum. Any other FL results in a smaller picture of the subject because the minimum focus distance grows faster than the reproduction ration. The IQ however is really good for such a little camera. I'm thinking of buying a Raynox-250 that goes in a mag filterholder.

The images below are at 53mm, 89mm and 200mm (equiv.) FL each taken at minimum focus distance.

53mm

89mm

200mm

Jul 29, 2019 at 07:58 AM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

KlausJH wrote:
The RX100M6 is not the best camera for macro work. Around 50mm FL I found the optimum. Any other FL results in a smaller picture of the subject because the minimum focus distance grows faster than the reproduction ration. The IQ however is really good for such a little camera. I'm thinking of buying a Raynox-250 that goes in a mag filterholder.

The images below are at 53mm, 89mm and 200mm (equiv.) FL each taken at minimum focus distance.

53mm

89mm

200mm

Thanks! Looks like the native MFD is enough for identification shots, but not ideal indeed for great pictures especially for the smaller or more skittish damselflies. As the last picture shows, too much risk that the camera will focus on something else than the dragonfly because the subject is not big enough in the frame. IQ looks good indeed, none of the ugly aberrations that are visible in many competing "quality compacts" for such shots

A diopter is an option but this means you have to get quite close (25-50cm) which may be impossible in practice.

Jul 29, 2019 at 01:29 PM
trstahly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

technic wrote:
Thanks! Looks like the native MFD is enough for identification shots, but not ideal indeed for great pictures especially for the smaller or more skittish damselflies. As the last picture shows, too much risk that the camera will focus on something else than the dragonfly because the subject is not big enough in the frame. IQ looks good indeed, none of the ugly aberrations that are visible in many competing "quality compacts" for such shots

A diopter is an option but this means you have to get quite close (25-50cm) which may be impossible in practice.

Big fan of the RX100V 24-70 1.8-2.8 and I feel confident they will release a version like the Va it sells well.

Why people are trying to make this camera into something its not is beyond me. It's the best pocketable point and shoot made end of story.

Not sure there are many who have taken more photos with the RX100 series than I have and I use it for what it is good for which is a point and shoot.

It is not a macro camera or a astro camera or BIF or wildlife!

I already know everything I need to know about it and currently the V and Va have better IQ than the VII so I will stick with my V until they release a VII with a 24-70 1.8-2.8 lens and not sure if I will buy one anyway. A9 like AF is nice but I do not use the camera that way, if mine ever fails I will pick up a used V or Va for half most likely until they improve the IQ or make it as easy to send a pic as my iPhone. Other than that the V or Va pretty much has it covered.

How do you get off a thread and stop getting emails coming to my inbox concerning this camera.

Edited on Jul 29, 2019 at 03:33 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2019 at 02:02 PM
samosh
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

trstahly wrote:
Why people are trying to make this camera into something its not is beyond me. It's the best pocketable point and shoot made end of story.
Not sure there are many who have taken more photos with the RX100 series than I have and I use it for what it is good for which is a point and shoot.

Excellent summary. As point and shoot even original RX100 is superb camera. But saying that RX100VII is similar to A9 is just a joke.

Jul 29, 2019 at 03:14 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Another notch in Sony's annual upgrade rip off.

Jul 29, 2019 at 05:06 PM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

trstahly wrote:

Some people take pictures of other subjects than just people/family, and the whole idea of these cameras is that they are "universal" walk-around cameras. Astro, BIF and wildlife aren't realistic applications for this type of camera (but some kinds of astro / night sky photography might be possible). But macro / closeup photography, whether food photography or subjects in nature, should be no problem. In the early days of digital, macro photography was a major application for many digicams. Why buy and carry another camera if one camera can do it all?

trstahly wrote:
How do you get off a thread and stop getting emails coming to my inbox concerning this camera.

You should be able to change your forum settings from "Profile" in the FM menu.

Jul 30, 2019 at 02:27 PM
KlausJH

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Here is a macro made with my RX100M6 @200mm (equiv.) using a Minolta close-up lens +1 on a mag filterholder. It worked quite well. I was just curious...

Jul 30, 2019 at 03:13 PM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

KlausJH wrote:
Here is a macro made with my RX100M6 @200mm (equiv.) using a Minolta close-up lens +1 on a mag filterholder. It worked quite well. I was just curious...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48413714322_7635a62923_h.jpg

I have a 52mm Canon 500D diopter (+2) that should probably work as well, on a mag filterholder with good IQ even wide open. Should work for most butterflies but for dragonflies the working distance will often be too small.

Jul 31, 2019 at 07:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

They put a 7 shot burst and then made no provisions for focus stacking. WHY? What does Sony have against FS? BOO! They also took it out of the 5.X app and also screwed up the 4.X app that worked well with the version 1 & 3.

Jul 31, 2019 at 08:07 AM
daniel.in.la
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

The RX100 series never worked for me, especially ergonomically and in low-light conditions. Returned more than 1 due to noise being a bit much for my taste. It's pretty clear that these little pocket cams are geared towards a casual shooter, but only 'excels' in optimal lighting conditions. This is why I don't bother ever shooting with my phone passed sunset or before sunrise. What's the point other than capturing an extremely rare or impossible shot...

Aug 01, 2019 at 02:15 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

I'm totally happy shooting up to iso 6400 with my RX100 VI which is pretty impressive I think for this little pocket rocket and have even had an image taken with the RX100 III in an exhibition. There really is nothing like the RX100VI for such outstanding performance in a package of it's size and the MkVII will be another step up

[
Katakata by david sampson, on Flickr

and here is one at iso 10,000!!

Untitled by david sampson, on Flickr

Colour at iso 800

Doing th Brixton walk by david sampson, on Flickr

Aug 01, 2019 at 02:28 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

In an attempt to short circuit any GAS towards the Voigtlander 21mm f1.4 lens or the a7riv I recently acquired a very nice almost new rx100 iii. Today I went to DPreview's studio scene in their rx100 vi review and did an ISO comparison between the rx100 iii and the rx100 vi and found the IQ at ISO 6400 virtually identical for the two cameras. I find it remarkable that there has been no improvement in IQ over these 4 years at the point where the rubber meets the road. I wonder how the rx100 vii will stack up (pun intended).
PS: I am very pleased with my little rx100 and plan to use it extensively around town and on non photography-centric travel.

Aug 04, 2019 at 12:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

The new Sony RX100 VII is now in stock at: B&H Photo, Adorama and Amazon

Aug 16, 2019 at 06:44 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

This camera is really extraordinary and so versatile. All shots are in the Italian Dolomites where we are for our annual visit and I have tp say when out hiking one of my A7rIII's with the 100-400gm stays at home

Val Travenanzes by david sampson, on Flickr

First snow by david sampson, on Flickr

Untitled huts by david sampson, on Flickr

Pratopiazza by david sampson, on Flickr

Untitled by david sampson, on Flickr

Sep 12, 2019 at 01:40 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

One Tree by david sampson, on Flickr

Sep 12, 2019 at 02:28 PM